What's new

P lip stem

I have a peterson pipe coming to me. And am wondering if u can buy differnt stems. Would like to try the p lip design. Or better off just geting another pipe with one. Not sure what would be more cost effective

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I just emailed Peterson about doing the same for a 20s I have. It has a fishtail and I wanted a p lip also. They require you send the pipe to them and it cost was almost as much as I paid for the pipe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Online stores uses to carry replacements stems for the system pipes, but I haven’t seen them recently. But to answer your question, no, you cannot interchange stems easily or cheaply with a Peterson.

Which pipe did you pick up? P-lips are great, but instead of burning your tongue, you burn the roof of your mouth.

If you smoke slowly its no problem, the the P-lip does seem to direct the smoke towards the palate.

I have a Peterson coming also. I accidentally purchased the p-lip. May love it. May not. Is it any easier to find a replacement fishtail for a 106 than a replacement p-lip?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a Peterson coming also. I accidentally purchased the p-lip. May love it. May not. Is it any easier to find a replacement fishtail for a 106 than a replacement p-lip?

I think it’s still very difficult to find OEM Peterson stems.

I think it’s still very difficult to find OEM Peterson stems.
Thanks, what I thought based on the DIY solutions I’ve seen. I’ll likely come to appreciate the p-lip; I can try one of the local shops for a solution if worse comes to worst. But in the B&B spirit, there is the bright side. I now have the excuse to order the Savinelli I chose the Peterson over sooner than I was expecting!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As others have said, no, you aren't likely to cheaply find an interchangeable stem without just coming across a substantially identical Peterson fishtail. If the P-Lip isn't for you, you're probably better off getting a fishtail replacement and figuring out what to do with the other pipe. You might get lucky and work out a trade.

That said, the P-Lip is worth a try, although it is not for me. I often hold or clench a pipe at something of downward angle, so that P-Lip points the smoke right onto the front of the roof of my mouth--not particularly pleasant. For other smokers, it may be perfect.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks, what I thought based on the DIY solutions I’ve seen. I’ll likely come to appreciate the p-lip; I can try one of the local shops for a solution if worse comes to worst. But in the B&B spirit, there is the bright side. I now have the excuse to order the Savinelli I chose the Peterson over sooner than I was expecting!

If you smoke slowly p-lips are great. If you smoke hot and fast it’s like a jet stream pinpointed at the roof of your mouth, vs your tongue. I like them though :).

If you smoke slowly p-lips are great. If you smoke hot and fast it’s like a jet stream pinpointed at the roof of your mouth, vs your tongue. I like them though :).

Arrived today. Have to say that I’m glad about my screw up with the order. This pipe forces me to slow down; hot and fast is how I’ve always smoked pipes with the obvious result. On the maiden run, the p-lip also fills the smoke more evenly. I’ll put it through the paces, but so far so good. Thanks for the responses.

Top Bottom