What's new

P. Hospital & Co. anyone know anything about them?

How will this one shave?
This is one of their iconic model. Back in the days when I restored LeGrelot to resale, this was the most sought after model. If I remember it is 1/4 hollow and comes in as a 5/8 or 6/8. This one looks like the 5/8.
As for how it will feel, it is not really comparable to any of the one in your list that I have tried.
The closest might be maybe a heavy grinded CV Heljestrand, like a MK10, but in a softer way.

This is one of their iconic model. Back in the days when I restored LeGrelot to resale, this was the most sought after model. If I remember it is 1/4 hollow and comes in as a 5/8 or 6/8. This one looks like the 5/8.
As for how it will feel, it is not really comparable to any of the one in your list that I have tried.
The closest might be maybe a heavy grinded CV Heljestrand, like a MK10, but in a softer way.
Thank you, I just bought it:). When it comes, I'll compare it with the others:)

I am wondering if this razor made from Jacob Holtzer
best French steel, or best French something or other,
is a Le Grelot or related to Le Grelot in some way.
It has the exact same blade face pattern, very very faded, including
the font, as one particular Le Grelot 363, which I will
show here. I have seen other 363's with a different type
font on the blade emblem. The Holtzer razor also has a different
blade number.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

I have seen many LeGrelot rebranded, but then the number on the back is typically unchanged. Yet, I have never seen a 1004.
However, the general shape and the etching indicates it could be one.
Jacob Holtzer was a large steel producer at the time, so it would have made sense to have used some of his steel in some razors. I have LeGrelot that boast to be made from Sheffield steel, other from Swedish steel and the other by default were likely made from French steel from Thiers where LeGrelot was operating.
So considering they used different suppliers, why not Jacob Holtzer from Saint-Etienne.

I apologize for the thread necromancy, but...

I've recently gotten a lot of straights (see this thread.)

In there is a Le Grelot that's branded P. Hospital and Thiers (which would seem to indicate a newer model). However, it has aluminium scales. I can't seem to find anything about these. Are these scales original? Were they ever offered?

It's super tight, so I need to remove the scales anyway, but I'm wondering if I want to make new scales out of some other material, or refurbish the aluminium ones as well. Does anyone have any info on this blade and/or scales?

1631749885515.png

1631749900855.png

Cheers.

I think I got my answer when I pulled it apart. Just like the Henckels blade in the Dubl Duck scales, no washers between blade and scales, making the blade bind up in there.

1631754419883.png

On the plus side, this blade is in much better shape. Only took some time on the buffing wheels and a bit of polishing by hand to bring it back to an acceptable level. I could sand it to try to make it really look new, but that may be too much, even for me!

1631755032396.png

1631755040119.png

1631755047820.png

What's odd is that there's no model number on it anywhere. Was this common?

I believe it's a 6/8 but will measure it to make sure. Is there a reference of models and dimensions somewhere?

Aluminium scales were originally used on medical razors that were used to shave the hair of patients prior to surgery and could have even been used to perform surgery. I've seen them date back to WW1.

I apologize for the thread necromancy, but...

I've recently gotten a lot of straights (see this thread.)

In there is a Le Grelot that's branded P. Hospital and Thiers (which would seem to indicate a newer model). However, it has aluminium scales. I can't seem to find anything about these. Are these scales original? Were they ever offered?

It's super tight, so I need to remove the scales anyway, but I'm wondering if I want to make new scales out of some other material, or refurbish the aluminium ones as well. Does anyone have any info on this blade and/or scales?

Cheers.
I remember seeing a pair of Odinia razors with metal scale. The razors were in perfect condition which hinted as having been untouched and thus the scale being original. Odinia was the brand LeGrelot were sold in Spain, and carried the same numbering as the standard LeGrelot. So this one might the french version of the razors I saw.
As for the lack of numbers, I had one years ago like that, but mine was scaled in black horn. It did not have a number but the blade had an inscription on it. I think it was "Jolly belly" - in English.

Aluminium scales were originally used on medical razors that were used to shave the hair of patients prior to surgery and could have even been used to perform surgery. I've seen them date back to WW1.

Though I've pretty much only seen that with any regularity on the Polish razors named after the town of Wapienica.

HTML:

I think that the lack of the Hospital mark means that the razor was produced by Thiers Issard. If this is true, then you can date the razors without the Hospital marking as being sold in the last 25 years or so. Either way, they are good shavers. I have not tried one of the new grind Grelots that TI is now producing out of C135 steel, but I have seen posts that several people like theirs. AFAIK, these do not have the bell stamped on the tang, so they are Grelots only in name and inspiration.

a few years old, Le G, with bell, C135, TI blank:

63172568-553E-4097-83A4-9000C2A13A38.jpeg
63172568-553E-4097-83A4-9000C2A13A38.jpeg

The aluminum scaled razors may have been used by the military medical corps of various countries. You may see stainless steel scales on these also. These razors are usually heavy grind or wedge configuration. Some even have stainless steel blades.

Top Bottom