What's new

P&G's Old Spice

Just go to a Family Dollar store and purchase their knock-off brand of Old Spice (Ivory Club). It's cheaper and smells better than P&G's version.

+1 on the Family Dollar store clone.

Cheap and smells / feels better than that P&G crap.

Only thing IMHO that is better is Old Spice made in India.

Got two bottles and wish I had more.

Wingnut-

The O/S cologne has always smelled different from the O/S aftershave. The Family Dollar aftershave was formulated during the Shulton O/S era so it tried to copy the aftershave closely. From what I have read here the P&G O/S cologne is very close to the Shulton era cologne. It's the P&G O/S aftershave that has changed the most. Why good things get tinkered with is beyond me.

Marty E.

Thanks for straightening me out, Marty. I'm new to all this and it's a pretty steep learning curve!:001_smile

I, too, have found that the OS cologne is quite close to the Shulton cologne (glass bottle version only, as I have not purchased the cologne in the new plastic, only the AS). I use the P&G OS cologne as an AS and enjoy it very much.....sometimes switching out with OS "true" Shulton AS, which is as strong as the new cologne and is 30 years old! I wore Shulton's AS today and it lasted until I showered this evening. I also find that the more you rub the new version into the skin, the more it smells like the Old Spice we all used to know. Again, this goes for the cologne only.

I, too, have found that the OS cologne is quite close to the Shulton cologne (glass bottle version only, as I have not purchased the cologne in the new plastic, only the AS). I use the P&G OS cologne as an AS and enjoy it very much.....sometimes switching out with OS "true" Shulton AS, which is as strong as the new cologne and is 30 years old! I wore Shulton's AS today and it lasted until I showered this evening. I also find that the more you rub the new version into the skin, the more it smells like the Old Spice we all used to know. Again, this goes for the cologne only.

That *is* interesting. I just recently rescued an Old Spice gift set from the back of my closet that my wife's grandmother gave me for Christmas 3-4 years ago that included both the AS and the cologne (in glass bottles, of course). I'd not paid a bit of attention to the cologne, but now I'll have to look at it more closely.

Hank, your avatar takes me back. That's the bottle my dad had in his medicine cabinet for years. I always thought the India Shulton one looked a little off. Now I see why.

I love seeing this bottle on my bathroom sink; I'd be very sad without it! I've checked out the India version online and when I saw the short little box the AS comes in, I wondered what the bottle must look like; can't be anything similar to the American bottle, can it?

I love seeing this bottle on my bathroom sink; I'd be very sad without it! I've checked out the India version online and when I saw the short little box the AS comes in, I wondered what the bottle must look like; can't be anything similar to the American bottle, can it?

The Indian stuff is plastic now isn't it? I've got some of it in glass but I'm pretty sure it is all plastic now.

While shopping for cheap AS last night, I opened and sniffed the OS (red box, white plastic bottle) in the store and I swear it smelled like French Vanilla coffee creamer.

Did not buy obviously.

I wondered what the bottle must look like; can't be anything similar to the American bottle, can it?

You can see a picture of it here. They've tried to at least make it kinda, sorta similar to the original, but it's not the same. That would really be a drag if it was plastic, but then again, not much more of a drag than not having the original bottle or AS fragrance available.

The Indian stuff is plastic now isn't it? I've got some of it in glass but I'm pretty sure it is all plastic now.

I got two bottles from my friend who visited his mother back home in India. They were glass. He didn't mentioned if they were now plastic.

We do have some B&B members in India. Maybe they can chime in on that matter.

Used vintage Old Spice after shave and cologne tonight...I feel great, the wife loves the scent, and a tradition lives on.

How cool is it that they could bottle that? :smile:

Interesting discussion on Old Spice. I too have memories of Dad using OS and being a very recent convert to DE shaving I naturally considered buying a bottle I noticed on a shelf of a local drug store the other day. Given the fact the formula has been "improved" I right to assume it will be the same here in the UK?

still love my vintage Shulman bottle filled up with dollar store spiced AS.

What a great smell and a great addition to my shave den.

Top Bottom