What's new

P&G's Old Spice

My father used Old Spice aftershave - and I have been a big fan of the porcelain bottle for quite some time. I bought one a while ago and is slowly becoming part of my rotation.

I understand that the company was purchased by P&G, but not sure exactly when. I have heard a lot of members showing their distaste for the P&G version. I heard a source here saying the change was made about 15 years ago. If that is the case, then the bottle in my cabinet is the same thing I was curiously pouring into my palm at the age of 6 in the bathroom.

Is it really that bad? Is the old stuff so much better? A young 'un like myself would only have a nostalgic connection with the new product anyway.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "bad", just not as good as it used to be. The difference to most folks is night and day, and "modern" does not mean "better". There are some folks that prefer the new version to the older. But there seems to be more that prefer the original version, and feel kind of slighted that P&G would go changing the formula and then have the balls to deny that they've tinkered with the recipe. (Uh, P&G? We all have noses. It's kind of hard to hide the obvious.) Not to mention the gall it takes to call it "Classic" or "Original" when it was concocted these last couple of years. I have socks and underwear that are older than this blend.

So, no, it's not bad. But if you're expecting to smell the Old Spice you remember from childhood, be prepared to be disappointed.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "bad", just not as good as it used to be. The difference to most folks is night and day, and "modern" does not mean "better". There are some folks that prefer the new version to the older. But there seems to be more that prefer the original version, and feel kind of slighted that P&G would go changing the formula and then have the balls to deny that they've tinkered with the recipe. (Uh, P&G? We all have noses. It's kind of hard to hide the obvious.) Not to mention the gall it takes to call it "Classic" or "Original" when it was concocted these last couple of years. I have socks and underwear that are older than this blend.

So, no, it's not bad. But if you're expecting to smell the Old Spice you remember from childhood, be prepared to be disappointed.

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better.

Just go to a Family Dollar store and purchase their knock-off brand of Old Spice (Ivory Club). It's cheaper and smells better than P&G's version.

Just go to a Family Dollar store and purchase their knock-off brand of Old Spice (Ivory Club). It's cheaper and smells better than P&G's version.

Are you serious? I walked in there and saw the sad looking knock off... I thought about it for a half a second and decided against it.

Do people here really think the Family Dollar stuff smells better?

Are you serious? I walked in there and saw the sad looking knock off... I thought about it for a half a second and decided against it.

Do people here really think the Family Dollar stuff smells better?

Yes. I cannot find it now, but there was a thread about this a while back. I have P&G Old Spice from a while back, the new P&G Old Spice, the original Shulton Old Spice, and the Ivory Club Spice. I think the closest to the Shulton is, hands downs, the Ivory Club.

Cool Ill pick some up next week, it was only 1.60 so what the heck =)
Now if I could get old school bottle of oldspice, instead of the cheesy plastic one...

+1 Also, I've found with the "old" Old Spice that the stuff seemed to smell better/different the older it got. Something about sitting in that ceramic buoy bottle and aging made a difference. I noticed this when I compared my Dad's older stuff to my less older stuff when I started shaving many years ago.

What? P&G make Old Spice? I was unaware of this. I sniffed some stuff called Old Spice at the store, and it was made by P&G. But it was not Old Spice.

Regards, Todd

What? P&G make Old Spice? I was unaware of this. I sniffed some stuff called Old Spice at the store, and it was made by P&G. But it was not Old Spice.

Regards, Todd

Ha! Couldn't have said it better myself, Todd.

It's actually called Ivy Club. I like the sound of Ivory Club better though, sounds like a big game reserve hunting club. :thumbup1:

From now on, Ivory Club it is. It adds a little class to the beige bottle to think that it might be carved from a walrus tusk.

I'm rather new to all this, so please take my opinion with as many grains of salt as you require, BUT... for comparison, I recently bought both a bottle of the Ivy Club Spice aftershave and the P&G "Old Spice" cologne (quotes intentional: I'm with everyone else here and think it doesn't smell anything like the Shulton Old Spice of my memory).

The good news about the P&G purchase was that, although it wasn't the Shulton stuff of old, it still came in a glass bottle with a traditional gray stopper, and was on clearance at my local Kroger for $4.24 for a 4.25 oz bottle. My experience of the P&G version is that, while it's not a bad scent at all, it's much more powdery and sweet than the Old Spice of my youth, and not nearly as spicy and complex. Not necessarily worse, just different.

I also got a bottle of Ivy Club Spice Aftershave at my local Family Dollar store (for all of $1.60), opened it up and took a sniff, and immediately thought, "Now THAT's the Old Spice that I remember!" It was much more spicy, and had no powdery note at all. I prefer the scent of the Ivy Club, but the new P&G isn't bad at all - I use it occasionally as well. Just don't go into it expecting the old Shulton version, meet it on it's own terms, and the P&G a fine scent, IMHO.

The best news is that the Ivy Club retails for a whopping $1.60, and even the P&G version is relatively inexpensive, so buying one of each won't set you back much more than $10.00. That way, you can decide for yourself which you prefer. Good luck!

I'm rather new to all this, so please take my opinion with as many grains of salt as you require, BUT... for comparison, I recently bought both a bottle of the Ivy Club Spice aftershave and the P&G "Old Spice" cologne (quotes intentional: I'm with everyone else here and think it doesn't smell anything like the Shulton Old Spice of my memory).

The good news about the P&G purchase was that, although it wasn't the Shulton stuff of old, it still came in a glass bottle with a traditional gray stopper, and was on clearance at my local Kroger for $4.24 for a 4.25 oz bottle. My experience of the P&G version is that, while it's not a bad scent at all, it's much more powdery and sweet than the Old Spice of my youth, and not nearly as spicy and complex. Not necessarily worse, just different.

I also got a bottle of Ivy Club Spice Aftershave at my local Family Dollar store (for all of $1.60), opened it up and took a sniff, and immediately thought, "Now THAT's the Old Spice that I remember!" It was much more spicy, and had no powdery note at all. I prefer the scent of the Ivy Club, but the new P&G isn't bad at all - I use it occasionally as well. Just don't go into it expecting the old Shulton version, meet it on it's own terms, and the P&G a fine scent, IMHO.

Wingnut-

The O/S cologne has always smelled different from the O/S aftershave. The Family Dollar aftershave was formulated during the Shulton O/S era so it tried to copy the aftershave closely. From what I have read here the P&G O/S cologne is very close to the Shulton era cologne. It's the P&G O/S aftershave that has changed the most. Why good things get tinkered with is beyond me.

Marty E.

The P&G and MCPl scents are not a step backwards from the Shulton, but just slightly different. Never tried the other variants.

But I love them all!

proxy.php

Ryan

Ivy Club you say? A bottle costs $1.60 you say? Well then, I guess I'll have to head over to the ole Family Dollar a pick a bottle of this up. Perhaps it will cure my P&G OS blues :w00t:

Wingnut-

The O/S cologne has always smelled different from the O/S aftershave. The Family Dollar aftershave was formulated during the Shulton O/S era so it tried to copy the aftershave closely. From what I have read here the P&G O/S cologne is very close to the Shulton era cologne. It's the P&G O/S aftershave that has changed the most. Why good things get tinkered with is beyond me.

Marty E.

Well said. I have a couple bottles of Vintage Shulton Old Spice After Shave, a bottle of Vintage Shulton Old Spice Fresh Scent aftershave, a bottle each of Vintage Shulton Old Spice Lime aftershave and cologne, and even a glass bottle of "flesh colored" talc.

At the same time, I also have a new plastic bottle (w/red cap) of P&G Old Spice Cologne , and just finishid off a spray bottle of the same stuff labeled as "body spray".

While the scents are different (to me it doesn't smell like they changed the ingredients in the recipe, so much as it smells like they changed the amounts of the ingredients to bring some of the fragrances that were very subtle in the original more to the forefront). To me the Shulton is acrid and spicy, and the new P&G is powdery and sweet, but I like them both.

Top Bottom