What's new

(P&G) Old Spice, the spice of life

So I received my package from togumby from our trade, and it was a bottle of (P&G) OS cologne and a set of 5 Shark Super Stainless blades, complements of him.

I must say, I was expecting less from this Cologne quite honestly, I'm sort of mystified as to why people hate the P&G version so much, I'm aware of the deal with Shulton, but still.

I would say this scent really surprised me, knowing it wasn't Shulton, I had lower than normal expectations, but however the P&G delivers in its own way.

Not of the same formulation as the old variant, the new P&G delivers the modern world, which imo brings this scent to a wider group of people young and old.

My old girlfriend happened by my place tonight, and she asked me what I was wearing, when I told her it was OS she was like "No way".

Give it a try, for whatever reason I can't smell it on my person but women seem to love it more than the vintage OS.

I like Old Spice cologne by P&G but not the AS. The cologne smells pretty close to Shulton's the longer you wear it and it lasts all day on me (I can smell it on myself, so it's pretty darn strong). I've also found that if I apply it and rub it in until it's completely evaporated, it makes it smell better, especially on my hairy arms. I've not bought any in the new plastic bottle they are now selling but the glass ones I still have all smell great (I bought several when I could still find glass). I also think OS cologne smells even better as it ages in the bottle. I use it as an AS.

I agree with this. I don't often get compliments on my scents, but Old Spice often does garner praise or at least a "what are you wearing?" query.

Interesting take. I'd say it's more floral and powdery than the Shulton formula, but like any other scent, YMMV.

What's funny is that here in our little niche of wetshaving, where we tend to revere, or at least respect, older stuff, Shulton OS gets some nods for being a classic, while the P&G version is beat up like a red headed stepchild.

I'm sure that the majority of folks have no idea and could care less if OS has been reformulated.

Their conceptions of OS are based on the cultural wisdom that it's a Grandpa scent, and while P&G spends wheelbarrows full of money to make the brand, in other forms, acceptable to young men while trying to hang on to the idea that it's something time tested, even the P&G admen tout the "classic" line as being something that "If your Grandad hadn't worn it, you wouldn't be around".

I saw an OS ad from about 1970 in a magazine that ran along the lines of "Because girls like it, is there a better reason?" and that got me thinking, how many girls like it and don't know it?

Maybe the ads should say "Sniff it before you dismiss it". I think most folks are dealing with OS the image in their minds rather than OS the product.

At the very least, it would make for a good episode of Madmen.

I've also found that if I apply it and rub it in until it's completely evaporated, it makes it smell better

I tried this (saw Hanks' posts in the past) and it absolutely works great. If you massage it in it takes on a much better scent than if you were to just dab it on and let it evaporate. Hank, I don't know how you discovered that but it's excellent advice. Makes the cologne all the more enjoyable!

I have a couple of bottles of circa 1993 P&G cologne and it smells great. From what I remember of Shulton it smells the same. I think the current P&G cologne offering still smells really good but the current A/S is what has suffered the most. It smells weak compared to Shulton A/S or Ivory Club.

Good enough for Gramps--Good enough for me.....

Marty E.

I'm in my early thirties and the classic scents are my favorites: old spice, clubman, etc. They are much better than most fragrances made today.

I tried this (saw Hanks' posts in the past) and it absolutely works great. If you massage it in it takes on a much better scent than if you were to just dab it on and let it evaporate. Hank, I don't know how you discovered that but it's excellent advice. Makes the cologne all the more enjoyable!

I have a couple of bottles of circa 1993 P&G cologne and it smells great. From what I remember of Shulton it smells the same. I think the current P&G cologne offering still smells really good but the current A/S is what has suffered the most. It smells weak compared to Shulton A/S or Ivory Club.

Good enough for Gramps--Good enough for me.....

Marty E.

Marty,
I discovered this once after applying a bit more than usual, so I just rubbed the cologne in until it no longer felt wet on my skin. It smelled so much better that I continue the practice each time I apply the Spice. I think it must have something to do with the friction warming the skin that makes it smell so great. It really does smell like the Shulton cologne from the days of yore.

Top Bottom