What's new

Ozark on Netflix--has anyone watched or is currently watching?

Jason Batemen guaranteed that I will check it out.
ditto, I'll give anything with Bateman a try. Although it's funny to think that 30 years ago everyone thought it was his sister that was going to be the big star and the Jason would be the hanger-on.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
ditto, I'll give anything with Bateman a try. Although it's funny to think that 30 years ago everyone thought it was his sister that was going to be the big star and the Jason would be the hanger-on.
Funny how that works. Looks fade, and that is what she had going for her.

Sadly, JCVJ was cancelled.

Yes, that was tragic! A few more on the list have also been struck from the airwaves (Dirk Gentley, Inhumans, Last Man on Earth, Lucifer, Mozart and Shannara) - last I checked

Thing is....there are new and amazing shows being launched weekly on Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services. The network shows are becoming a minority with my viewing rotation - I prefer to have the full season delivered to me all at once

Most of the streaming series I watch while walking on the treadmill (a horrible thing to do, I loathe it) and if the time goes by and I havent really noticed....then that is good TV

Finished up Ozark last night. I agree that it is a great series that finished strong. Satisfying across the board. Mad props to Julia Garner's portrayal of Ruth. Great character growth. She utterly sells it. The acting in this series is highest quality.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I busted out the Stirling Ozark Mountain soap/balm/splash just for the occasion of season 2. Good stuff- the show and the products. Then again, I really like pine air fresheners.

Ruth is, by far, the most interesting character.

I watched the first four (give or take one) episodes and never felt motivated to go any further with it.

I just finished season 2 and thought that it was a strong one with a few shocking surprises. Is this going to be a 3 season run? A lot of things are coming to a head and I don't know how long they'd be able to string it out if they wanted to go longer than 3 seasons.

I was thinking that there should be a Ruth drinking game where everyone has to take a drink whenever she drops an f-bomb but I don't think that anyone would survive.

There is a lot of Jordan Peterson out there to watch! I have been sort of saving Ozark or order to be able to savor later. Been watching The Sinner, Season 2. Seems very good so far. Bill Pullman is excellent/original.

Just finished up season 2 last weekend. Really love the show and I think its unfair to always compare it to Breaking Bad although I can see why. Season 3 should be interesting, that's all I will say. I live here in the Ozarks and I am from the area in IL they move from so makes it cool to here references to towns in both states that most would never hear of. Towns like Camendton, MO or Morris, IL. I wish the whole show was filmed here. Some of it is however they were here filming some stuff both seasons. Although many people here have strong accents the actors generic southern accents didn't totally work for me but hey its a show. I love the offence taken from the "hillbillies" being called "rednecks" haha. Also Ruth is amazing.

I replaced 11 o'clock news/ latenight talkshows with atmospheric,slow burn tv shows. I really enjoyed the last season of Ozark, plan on starting the second season right after I finish with the Affair. Seems like with many of these type of shows you have to commit to 3 episodes or so before deciding the show isnt for you. I had to give the Wire like 3 tries before it grabbed my interest.

Well, I have watched season one and the Breaking Bad influence is easy to see.

Now to some negatives. As I feared, the 'Deliverance-ing' of south central Missouri is pretty much a non-stop theme. I am not a native Missourian but a Kansan. If you know anything of our border war during the late unpleasantries(American civil war) we are not exactly each others biggest fans. Mostly we settle these disputes with mashed potato balls anymore and it is all good natured at its core. So for me to take pity on them means the portrayal of locals is not exactly flattering.

First of all I get it. It's fiction. And yes, there are outlaws everywhere. However, the area in question is a beautiful resort type area and the day to day level of crime portrayed in the series is simply too much. It does not fit the character of the area.

Accents. Okay, I may get push back on this but does anyone in hollywood ever go visit the areas they intend to dramatise? Peter Mullan as Jacob Snell comes immediately to mind. Great actor but who coached him into that 'plantation accent'? I know everything southern U.S. is currently kind of popular in the UK but the Scotsman may have been a poor choice for the part. I lived about 80 miles from the area in my teens and NO one there had the lyrical Colonel Sanders accent. It was a little more 'cain't' and 'hain't' and far(fire) and tars(tyres) sort of thing. Ruth's is closer but sharper than many of the women I remember there. And can we limit the F bombs to ten per episode rather than every other sentence?

Rob mentioned acting vs writing. A very astute observation. Much of this is Breaking Bad-esque and does not quite fit the locale as I mentioned. Way too much out there stuff for supposedly shrewd players like the fbi agent and the cartel bag man.

Alright, positives. Jason Bateman is superb as Marty. So is the Ruth character. Pure sociopath. The crotchety old Buddy is a hoot. Esai Morales as Del is engaging but sometimes takes the 'don' approach a little too far. Overall a good series but reaches a lot sometimes. I will check into the second season and see if it keeps my interest.

Binged season two. Bateman and the other actors are performing well above the scripting. Trust me, there aren't that many people meeting grisly ends at Lake of the Ozarks.

If you liked Ozark you might enjoy Hap and Leonard. It's a quirky dark comedy/ mystery. At first I was unsure about it but the wacky characters grew on me. Also Christina Hendricks is in it and I'm a sucker for her.

Top Bottom