What's new

Owning more than 1 safety razor?

I am very new to wet shaving. And before jumping, I choose carefully what razor to get as my first. I thought you only need one. But reading alot of topics from this site, it looks like having more than 1 razor is the norm.

So is owning more than 1 razor a must? just curious.

I have a Mulhe r89 and was thinking of getting either a r41 2011 or maybe a feather as. But not yet sure...

I do not think it is a must. I only own one and I am fairly new to DE shaving as well. I'm going to get my GF to buy me a Merkur Futur for christmas, but that's just because my first one is a no name razor that came as part of a set. Having more than one razor I believe just broadens your experience. Some members here seem to find certain razors better for certain areas, or tough spots. It is really up to you my friend, 1,2 or many more if you like.

Not a must, by any means. I've been at it for about 3 months and have 6 razors. All of them shave differently. I think part of the reason people have more than one is that, starting out, you try to find the one that works best for you and your beard. Then, of course, it is addictive....

It's always nice to try different styles and varieties. I am also a newbie, and have found that I really love the 1912 SE GEM. I started with a cheapo DE that worked fine- or so I thought- until I tried the GEM. I also have a Fatboy in the rotation, as well as a bunch more to try.

If you only have one then you'll never know if the best razor for you is out there, but by owning various you just might stumble across the ONE that works best for you.

Definitely not necessary, but it's kind of fun to own more than one. A mundane chore suddenly becomes more interesting...and gasp, fun. With so many mixed reviews it might not hurt to stay away from the R41 for a while--you can probably find a Gem Micromatic for $3 at an antique store, or a relatively cheap price in BST if you want to try something with a more aggressive reputation.

Nope not necessary, I have a few razors because each one shaves differently and it's fun to try new razors to find the ones that work the best.

It is an acquisition disorder.

How many guitars do you need? I have two acoustics, 12 electrics, and a bass.
Each is unique and has a distinctive tone and feel. Can I make any of them sound like another with style and amp settings? For the most part, yes.
Do I need 15 guitars? Of course not... especially since I haven't touched any of them in 6 years and haven't done anything remotely serious with them in nearly 20.

Same for safety razors.
The R89 will likely do anything you will ever need.
The EJ line of razors use the R89 head, so if you want something that looks different but has the same head... there ya' go.

The R41 is simply... different. It can be more aggressive, which might be what it takes for someone with a heavy beard to avoid having a 5:00 shadow.

But some of us collect things and view things more as a hobby than as an activity. Before my 3rd shave I had two razors and now have 3... doing my 4th DESR shave tonight.

Necessary? No. For me, I have two. My normal razor (Muhle R89) and my aggressive razor (Muhle R41). I use both frequently. I certainly enjoy having options. But I would not make the argument that having more than one is a necessity.

The key word here is "norm".

Communities like this are self selecting, everyone here has an some kind of interest in west shaving. There are many folks here who have one or two razors and are perfectly happy. People who post on the Razor forum may be more likely to be collectors, folks who have cycled through trying different razors looking for the optimum tool.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with one razor. The Mulhe r89 is a fine razor. If you wish to try other razors with the goal of finding the best razor, you can always sell your less than optimum razors on BST.

You'll see similar conversations in the brush forums or soap and cream forums. Some folks just like to try different products and compare results. Others keep a very simple kit that works for them and are here to discuss technique or just for some good company.

Anbu-

Your self control is admirable. I've been wetshaving for 2 weeks and now have 3 razors with a 4th on the way
1. Merkur 34HD
2. EJ 89
3. 1960 Gillette flare tip (PIF from a friend)
4. Another 1960 Gillette flare tip purchased on eBay with original case and blades

I couldn't decide b/w the Merkur or EJ so I bought both with the thought I could always sell the other on the BST if it didn't work for me. The 1960 flare tip has actually given me my best shave so I found another to have just in case (I've got problems,I know).

I must have misunderstood. The purpose of wet shaving is to accumulate the most razors/brushes/creams/soaps,etc, right?

Like you, I have the DE89L (same thing basically as your R89) and was going to go for the Feather.. I instead went for the PILS but I figure the Feather is as good or better. I think and don't tell anyone I said this, lol, that is basically the only two razors you may need. Of course as mentioned, the EJ's all share the same head so if you like a different handle go for a different razor to add to the collection as well... don't worry though, after the razors you still have brushes to conquer so even if you have the blade and AS and creams down.. their is still plenty to experiment with!

I have six turntables. I only NEED one turntable. When the mood hits to switch them out, it's like visiting an old friend I haven't seen in a while and I had forgotten how nice he was. "Why did you and I ever stop hanging out?" I think.

It's like that with the few razors I have. I'll use one for a few days and when I need a new blade I open up my box where I keep my other blades and razors and it's like "Well hello friend. Haven't seen you in a while. Wanna grab a beer?"

Yeah, definitely not necessary... but I have been shaving with the same cheap razor for the past year and a half, thinking I was getting good shaves, then ordered another a couple weeks ago and wow! was I missing out. Now I've got 3 more on the way with a bunch more blades to try. For me, it's finding the right combo for my face, but also it's just turning into a hobby. Who knew shaving could be this much fun?!

If you are not happy with the results from your only razor or you are curious to know how other razors shave, then you NEED another one. But if you get a second rezor, it's hard to stop at that point.

Im settling for three, but could survive with one.
One for daily use (Gillette Old type ball end OC)
One in my travel kit (Gillette Slim)
One Cased red tip for nostalgic reasons - I played around a lot with those since both dada and granddad used them.

Top Bottom