• Hey Guest. We are currently doing lots and lots of work on the forum software. Please be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Thanks!

Oversupply of beard balms and oils

I recently made a trip to our local Shoppers Drug Mart and of course I checked out the shaving section. What surprised me most was there were 3 or 4 shaving soap or creams for sale and almost 2 full shelves of beard balms, beard oils, or beard gels for sale. And unless they just readjusted the stock I would say not a single item had been sold.
Does anyone actually buy beard balms or oils? Why the huge oversupply and so few shaving soap options?

I do buy balms and waxes, and have bought oils before. I do buy more soaps. I imagine the mark-up on oils and balms is higher than soaps.

I think that of the overall population probably far fewer buy soaps or creams than buy balms and oils, with beards being very in and hipster I think there is probably a huge market for beard care/taming.

Regarding soaps and creams I think that is probably a more niche product. Many people only use an electric shaver/trimmer and those who do wet shave mainly use a cartridge razor with canned foam/gel rather than ‘proper’ soaps or creams.