What's new

Overstocking the pantry

We are not prepping - just overstocking the pantry. DW and I have decided that it is better to be safe than sorry and have started buying extra canned goods, shelf milk, canned meats, cereal, dry beans, etc... We hope food will be in the grocery stores and that it will continue to be safe enough to go the grocery store. If not, we will still be eating.

Anyone else doing this or similar?

Yes, we have at least a three month supply of canned soup and broths, vegetables, meat and fish, fruit, pasta and sauces, rice, dry beans, baking mix, condiments, shelf-stable milk, flour, sugar, coffee, cereal, saltines, etc. We have a good supply of frozen beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, vegetables, bread and deserts in our freezers. It would not surprise us if we get a stay at home order this fall/winter. So we could eat as we usually do if that happens.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
We have 6-8 weeks worth of canned soups, fish, veg, and beans and plenty of dry items like grains and pasta. A freezer filled with meat.

Have a pretty full pantry and freezer. Haven't really stocked differently. Have some canned milk that we could use for some recipes, but aren't big milk drinkers.

Yep, been doing that here. We recently moved, that sucked big time lol. We keep 60to 80 mre's, a couple months of canned food roughly and we bagged and sealed in mylar about 30-50 lbs of rice and beans. We have freeze dried food as well. Mainly breakfast stuff like oatmeal and eggs. Shelf milk is cheapest at dollar tree , 1$a quart. Also have a giant can of powdered my l as well.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At least 2kg each of rice, dried beans, and pasta, and another kilo of lentils. Four or five 1 litre cartons of UHT milk in the cupboard, and an emergency bag of porridge oats. There's also things like noodles, flour, jars of sauce, and assorted dried veg.

The freezer has at least 5kg of meat, a couple of loaves of bread, plus assorted veg.

Another shelf has maybe 40 different tins of veg, beans, tomatoes and soups. Another 10 tins of fruit, and a few tins of meat, tuna and sardines. That's all with just one mouth to feed.

I tend to stock up once a month, and each time I do, it takes me up to about a two month pantry. I would run out of plenty of stuff in those two months, but there would at least be something to eat.

We are not prepping - just overstocking the pantry. DW and I have decided that it is better to be safe than sorry and have started buying extra canned goods, shelf milk, canned meats, cereal, dry beans, etc... We hope food will be in the grocery stores and that it will continue to be safe enough to go the grocery store. If not, we will still be eating.

Nope because theres no reason to. Theres no issues in the supply chain and nothing is any different today than it was in May, June or July.
Some people like to stock up and that's cool but I don't. I go once a week, I get what I need and I don't stock up or hoard.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nope because theres no reason to. Theres no issues in the supply chain and nothing is any different today than it was in May, June or July.
Some people like to stock up and that's cool but I don't. I go once a week, I get what I need and I don't stock up or hoard.
I remember the toilet paper panic this spring. Silly herd mentality humans all panicking over the same thing and ... there isn't any to be had. So much nicer to already have "enough" tp that one can just ride that one out and not worry.

Here, last time it was mostly just tp and sanitizer and some meats and eggs ... but who knows what the "it" thing will be next time.

So I like to have "enough" that I can ride out a couple months of panic scarcity without having to join the fistfight mobs at Costco. It's kind of like doing all your Christmas shopping in November, or always gassing up when you get down to half a tank.

I remember the toilet paper panic this spring. Silly herd mentality humans all panicking over the same thing and ... there isn't any to be had. So much nicer to already have "enough" tp that one can just ride that one out and not worry.

Here, last time it was mostly just tp and sanitizer and some meats and eggs ... but who knows what the "it" thing will be next time.

So I like to have "enough" that I can ride out a couple months of panic scarcity without having to join the fistfight mobs at Costco. It's kind of like doing all your Christmas shopping in November, or always gassing up when you get down to half a tank.
My response to prepping or hoarding as always been so what if you have a 3 month, 6 month or year supply? You're still going to have to face the mob eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I try to keep about three months worth of canned goods, dry goods and frozen foods on hand. I hate having to run out to buy just a couple of things, so replenish a little every few weeks. I've been trying the fresh grocery delivery thing, too.

Unfortunately yes as COVID cases in the Toronto area started going thru the roof over the last week or so.

We aren’t going crazy but doing a lot of baking/cooking to fill our freezers. Lots of soups, Shepard’s pie, lasagna, stews, etc. Also stocked up on a few months worth of canned goods, pastas and rice.

Lastly, paper towels are becoming impossible to find so we have been buying them when we see them. Paper towels seem to be this wave’s toilet paper.

Oh, also razor blades, shaving brushes, shaving soaps and aftershaves. Just in case there is a shortage coming as I tell my wife. Never can be too safe you know. 😜

What is bought out rotates here. Was toilet paper, then bleach, then paper towels. Probably pine sol soon, it was approved as a Covid killer this week. Fwiw fish antibiotics don't need a script either.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My response to prepping or hoarding as always been so what if you have a 3 month, 6 month or year supply? You're still going to have to face the mob eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Only if the mob lasts longer than your supplies. How long did "the toilet paper crisis" last? Two months, maybe three.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I've been doing that since January. I only go to the grocery store to restock maybe once every two weeks and its a quick in and out. Mostly for fresh veggies, bread and milk to replace what comes out of the freezer on a regular basis.

Skip the TP and buy a bidet. I bought mine last October. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Lastly, paper towels are becoming impossible to find so we have been buying them when we see them. Paper towels seem to be this wave’s toilet paper.

Go to Dollarama and buy a supply of microfiber towels, they can be washed and reused. I'm down the 401 from you in London and active cases here went from 11 to 95 today, in the last 10 days.

I wouldn't say I've been stocking up or overstocking, but I certainly have enough random stuff in the pantry to last awhile.

Top Bottom