What's new

Overlooked/underappeciated cocktails

I should have listed corpse reviver recipe#2 ingredients last post. They are:
Equal parts gin, lillet blanc, grand marnier or other orange liquor, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a healthy splash of absynthe. Shaken in ice, served with a cherry. I have turned on many of my friends to this recently, and they really love it.

Corpse Reviver # 2 is a longtime favorite though I make mine with slightly altered ingredients.
1 ounce Gin
1 ounce Cocchi Americano
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 ounce Cointreau
1 dash Herbsaint
I skip the cherry.

A simple drink I like for summer is the White Lady.

Two parts gin
One part Cointreau
One part lemon juice

Good drink, terrible name.

Great Thread:
Aviation - my all time favorite. Back when I started, this was made sans Creme de Violette. I prefer it that way. more refreshing. not as sweet. nice, cloudy, colorless, delicious.

Sidecar - classic.

Astoria - like a gin martini with the addition of Orange bitters. You can use a citrus garnish if you don't want olives.

anything with Chartreuse.

<Back when I started, this was made sans Creme de Violette.>

So just gin, lemon juice, and maraschino liqueur? You lose the incredible sky-like blue gray color. I am actually not sure I like Creme Violette or maraschino all that much. That said, somehow the Aviation still seems like a fine cocktail to me.

06DD9EF4-001D-4194-80D3-BED7454CB401.jpeg

Final Ward from this recipe:
  • 3/4 oz Knob Creek
  • 3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
  • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • 3/4 oz Luxardo
First time. Tasty cocktail!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rob:
Don't know the 'correct' name for this cocktail, but I've fallen in love with Cheddar's PainKiller (limit 2 per guest :blink:), here in Bryan, TX (while visiting our Son & Grandson). thumbsup

Painkiller Cocktail.jpg
$6.79 - Pusser's rum, cream of coconut, pineapple juice, orange juice, toasted coconut rim, topped with nutmeg. 350 cals

proxy.php
"[Having a cocktail] is a [neat] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:
The Painkiller is sometimes referred to as a classic mid-century tiki drink, but as I understand it, it was really invented in the British Virgin Islands in the early 1970s. Still a classic drink and the ingredients list above is fairly classic. I think it has been adopted by many modern tiki bars, which seems appropriate. As I have said before, I do not see pineapple in many of the classic tiki recipes, except as a garnish, but it seems fitting to me.

I would say the whiskey sour is a classic drink and everything old is automatically again popular. The egg white foam is crucial!

Top Bottom