What's new

Overlooked Soaps

We often see the praises of MdC, SV, GD and others ranked as "top tier soaps," but what are some soaps that have "flown under the radar" or are relatively new that should receive more attention based on their excellent performance? I generally only try soaps that I see others praise, so what are some of the "Overlooked Soaps?"

One soap that is a pleasant surprise was the B Pure soap that is found at the Dollar Tree for $1.25! It lathers quite well and has a pleasant scent. It is a great replacement for Williams. The B Pure soap is the best of the DE shaving supplies that is found at the Dollar Tree.

Mystic Waters is popular with some that have been wetshaving for a few years but doesn’t get as much talk as the soaps performance is worthy of in my opinion. Tallow & Steel is the same way , for me that’s as good of a soap base as any. LEA and Palmolive you could also say D.R Harris. Me personally , I feel the classics are now overlooked and all the hype and praise exists mainly in the artisan side. I also feel for myself it was time to go back to classics!

Mystic Waters is popular with some that have been wetshaving for a few years but doesn’t get as much talk as the soaps performance is worthy of in my opinion. Tallow & Steel is the same way , for me that’s as good of a soap base as any. LEA and Palmolive you could also say D.R Harris. Me personally , I feel the classics are now overlooked and all the hype and praise exists mainly in the artisan side. I also feel for myself it was time to go back to classics!

I received some samples of Mystic Waters soaps just a few days ago. The scent was strong, and I plan to try them out soon.

D.R. Harris (as well as MWF and a few other soaps) are on their way to me from Connaught Shaving, a great vendor in the UK. The website is a bit antiquated, but their prices and service are excellent, especially with free international shipping.

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations does not seem to get much attention.
Heritage Hill gets even less.
Both are tallow based artisan soaps that are, IMO, in the same league as Stirling or Mike's.

+1 for Mystic Water
I see LEA cream or stick sometimes mentioned, but the puck gets ignored.

I received some samples of Mystic Waters soaps just a few days ago. The scent was strong, and I plan to try them out soon.

D.R. Harris (as well as MWF and a few other soaps) are on their way to me from Connaught Shaving, a great vendor in the UK. The website is a bit antiquated, but their prices and service are excellent, especially with free international shipping.
I order from them on occasion , fantastic experience each and every time!

Oaken Lab - Jakarta Indonesia
Los Jabones De Joserra - San Esteban del Valle, Spain
House of Mammoth - NYC
Kaliflower Organics - Värmland, Sweden

The first three makers I consider top tier soaps, but they can be a bit pricey. Kaliflower Organics is new to me, but I can say their soaps are excellent. They only have two soaps, Pine Tar and Citrus and Cedar. Both are vegan and organic and produce excellent lather.

I wonder if some of the issue is the availability of these soaps? I tend to buy samples first, or stack soaps on an order to get free shipping. If I have to order from Spain (Smallflower) I'm less interested in paying a significant amount of shipping for a product that I'm just curious about.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One I see mentioned from time to time is Baumé.be and their pre-shave. Another is Acca Kappa Barbershop. I use unscented soaps generally, but these two are mild enough so I can use them.

For me, it goes without saying, these two provide luxurious lather in my bowl and then on my face.

I was also going to suggest Heritage Hill. That's some good stuff. Hendrix Classics is also a good choice that doesn't show up much.

One of my favorites is Master Soap Creations. It is a very good performer at a very good price. Like Stirling it's a good bang for your buck soap.

Officina Artigiana Milano doesn't seem to get mentioned much, but this Italian soft soap checks all the boxes for me... easy to lather, super slick, excellent scents (I particularly like the citrus-scented "Stay Traditional"), and superb post-shave qualities. It also comes in a large, classy glass container.

Officina Artigiana Milano doesn't seem to get mentioned much, but this Italian soft soap checks all the boxes for me... easy to lather, super slick, excellent scents (I particularly like the citrus-scented "Stay Traditional"), and superb post-shave qualities. It also comes in a large, classy glass container.

Sounds lovely, but where is it available? My quick search seemed only to list EU options.

I wonder if some of the issue is the availability of these soaps? I tend to buy samples first, or stack soaps on an order to get free shipping. If I have to order from Spain (Smallflower) I'm less interested in paying a significant amount of shipping for a product that I'm just curious about.
Oaken Lab and Los Jabones De Joserra can be ordered from The Razor Company or Pasteur Shaving if you're in the US. Kaliflower has a free shipping code for first time buyers if you create an account.

Top Bottom