What's new

Overlander feedback

So does a Karve overlander just take a completely different angle than vintage gillette? I’ve been shaving with DEs for a while, plenty of experience. I couldn’t get the smooth feeling shave with the overlander that most rave about. The brass version is truly beautiful, but I don’t know… maybe it’s just not for me. Certainly is a lot heavier than a gillette tech, for example.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So does a Karve overlander just take a completely different angle than vintage gillette? I’ve been shaving with DEs for a while, plenty of experience. I couldn’t get the smooth feeling shave with the overlander that most rave about. The brass version is truly beautiful, but I don’t know… maybe it’s just not for me. Certainly is a lot heavier than a gillette tech, for example.
Drew,

I just got mine back from Chris @ Back Roads Gold... he plated it in 24K gold for me... it looks lovely.

As far as the shave goes.... I use a steep angle for both the British Flat Bottom Tech I have and for the Overlander. The Overlander gave me a very smooth and comfortable shave. I do realize the YMMV mantra but I only bought it because so many people here love it.

I don't exactly "choose" a steep angle. For some reason, when I first began wet shaving back in Feb., I started with the razor handle parallel with my face and lifted the handle until I could feel the blade engage. I think I started that way because I put the razor at the bottom of my short sideburns and that was the easiest way for me to get that line straight.

In any event, I've continued doing that and after reading a bit here on B&B, I learned about the steep vs. shallow blade angles. It turns out, because of my initial razor orientation, I tend to shave on the steeper side of the shave angle curve. So that's how I shaved with the Overlander for the first time the other day. Only one shave, mind you.... but it was stellar.

Your observation is correct. The Overlander is quite a bit heavier than the Tech. That might be one reason why you didn't get a great shave.... getting used to the weight differential. I've been using a titanium handle on most of my razors, except the BFBT and I had to vary the pressure a bit when I went from a heavy stainless steel handle to titanium. The Overlander is quite a bit heavier that what I'm used to now. I know I lightened my touch a bit during that first shave.

I'm not sure if that was helpful. You have a lot more experience than I do.... You'll figure it out.. or decide the Overlander isn't for you.

I went from a love affair with a Black Beauty 109 to an Overlander using the same steep angle. They both are very brainless razors for my face. Are you a daily shaver? I am and the first few times I tried the Overlander on a few days of growth, it wasn’t as brainless and required a little buffing. Thankfully, it’s rare that I don’t shave everyday 🥳.

I find that with the Overlander the ATG pass is the moneymaker.
Yes….it is one of my best ATG razors.

OP….as others have stated the Overlander was designed to use more of a steep angle. I find it super smooth and decently efficient. I typically use it when I travel which is quite often.

Hope you get it figured out.

I love my brass Overlander. Its the only razor in my rotation that I don't have to think about what i'm doing when shaving. I have other mild razors but this one is like an eraser. Contemplating about either getting it polished or plated to reduce some of the drag but not sure if that would be even worth it or if one would feel the difference?

I haven't been wet shaving long so take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but I haven't had any issues trying to find an angle for the Overlander. I'm pretty sure the angle I use for it is around the normal 30 degree angle most DEs use. The angle for the original Christopher Bradley is definitely steeper though.

I've also used a post-war Tech a lot. I like it, but I find it a bit less efficient than the Overlander. It could be because it's so much lighter than the Overlander and I'm letting it glide too much.

I love my brass Overlander. Its the only razor in my rotation that I don't have to think about what i'm doing when shaving. I have other mild razors but this one is like an eraser. Contemplating about either getting it polished or plated to reduce some of the drag but not sure if that would be even worth it or if one would feel the difference?
Mild razors OK. How about efficiency?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Drew,

I just got mine back from Chris @ Back Roads Gold... he plated it in 24K gold for me... it looks lovely.

As far as the shave goes.... I use a steep angle for both the British Flat Bottom Tech I have and for the Overlander. The Overlander gave me a very smooth and comfortable shave. I do realize the YMMV mantra but I only bought it because so many people here love it.

I don't exactly "choose" a steep angle. For some reason, when I first began wet shaving back in Feb., I started with the razor handle parallel with my face and lifted the handle until I could feel the blade engage. I think I started that way because I put the razor at the bottom of my short sideburns and that was the easiest way for me to get that line straight.

In any event, I've continued doing that and after reading a bit here on B&B, I learned about the steep vs. shallow blade angles. It turns out, because of my initial razor orientation, I tend to shave on the steeper side of the shave angle curve. So that's how I shaved with the Overlander for the first time the other day. Only one shave, mind you.... but it was stellar.

Your observation is correct. The Overlander is quite a bit heavier than the Tech. That might be one reason why you didn't get a great shave.... getting used to the weight differential. I've been using a titanium handle on most of my razors, except the BFBT and I had to vary the pressure a bit when I went from a heavy stainless steel handle to titanium. The Overlander is quite a bit heavier that what I'm used to now. I know I lightened my touch a bit during that first shave.

I'm not sure if that was helpful. You have a lot more experience than I do.... You'll figure it out.. or decide the Overlander isn't for you.
I have to say.... after my first shave with the Overlander, I've struggled with subsequent shaves, especially when compared to some of my other razors. I'm not giving up on it, though. I think it's me... not the razor. With some of my other recently acquired razors, I've had 3 or 4 wonderful shaves in a row with very little effort. The Overland is a puzzlement to me. We'll see. I'll get back to it eventually.

Mild razors OK. How about efficiency?
Given how mild the Overlander is, I find the efficiency very good. I’m a daily shaver with what I’d call an average beard and a 2-pass with the Overlander is an easy DFS with little to no buffing or pickups. It’s my default razor if I have to go into the office and need a fast, close shave with no cuts or irritation. It’s just very easy to use.

I find it more efficient than a 34C or a Henson Mild with a similar comfort level. But there are certainly many more efficient razors out there if that’s what you’re looking for.

Thanks. It would be interesting to compare shaving with the aluminum version of the razor (37 grams) and Copper (118 grams)

Thanks. It would be interesting to compare shaving with the aluminum version of the razor (37 grams) and Copper (118 grams)
I have the Brass and SS (yes it’s dumb to have both, but I liked it that much), but haven’t tried the aluminum or copper. The Brass and SS offer very similar shaves. I prefer heavier razors and both fit the bill.

I have shaved with other aluminum razors though. My issue with them is they’re so light that I feel the need to apply more pressure and that can lead to irritation. After a couple of shaves I got better at figuring out exactly how much pressure I needed, but there was a slight learning curve.

Last edited:

I had the same experience. I get wonderful, close shaves with all of my Techs, but quickly sold my Overlander. It is a beautiful razor but just did not work for me.

Possibly my fault, as the Overlander is generally well loved around here, but I tend to cut my losses quickly, and don't waste a lot of time trying to make things work.

I'm still waiting for my Overlander to arrive (probably next week) and as soon as I get it, I will shave with it. I have really high hopes for it.

Top Bottom