What's new

Overcoats - Seal skin

Gents, Russian Sable fur is nice but I am interested in your tastes in seal-skin overcoats: what types do most folks here prefer? Hooded seal and Monk are obviously my go-to's - especially in early winter - but there are some others that can be had given the right connections. Late winter, I'll obviously go Spotted or Grey, but I'm worried that's been "played out".

Wondering which type you all prefer as we come into the winter months.

Nice but expensive. I have a nice mink hat, very warm and comfortable.

Excellent selection. With a seal skin you might be golden, but the mink hat will command a certain amount of respect while keeping you warm as well. +rep

Bought a soviet surplus wool hat a loooong time ago. No need for anything else for my head, as that sucker is like putting a fireplace on my dome. Leather car coat is as close as I get to "skin" these days.

Gents, Russian Sable fur is nice but I am interested in your tastes in seal-skin overcoats: what types do most folks here prefer? Hooded seal and Monk are obviously my go-to's - especially in early winter - but there are some others that can be had given the right connections. Late winter, I'll obviously go Spotted or Grey, but I'm worried that's been "played out".

Wondering which type you all prefer as we come into the winter months.

You would have to be careful walking down the streets here in Seattle!!

Fur is definitely frowned upon in this town!

I'm from Oklahoma.

That makes me want to come to Seattle dressed in fur and leather. :)

Seriously, everybody ought to live like they choose, and let other folks do the same.

I'm from Oklahoma.

That makes me want to come to Seattle dressed in fur and leather. :)

Seriously, everybody ought to live like they choose, and let other folks do the same.

+1 So true. If you do not like something (item of clothing, food, drink etc.) then do not use it. But you have no right to enforce you views on others.

No doubt Brother! I don't actually wear fur (or seal skin).. Hey @BigJ , I finally learned how to use that Lord L6. I need a shallow angle due to the blade gap/exposure. Mine is pretty aggressive actually, but I didn't get any weepers today. Happy Holidays.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I was asked, in a not so nice way, to leave a nice shoe shop in Carmel, CA when I asked them if they had anything in seal.

I think the important thing is warmth. Sometimes the down jackets are good. The pic below is not me, but it shows a properly stuffed down jacket. Most of the time they don't put enough feathers inside.
down.jpg

I have had many fur garments made from furs that I trapped. They are spectacular insulation and very durable. They are also very renewable. Around here people pay to get rid of beavers, muskrats, coyote and raccoons. They all make wonderful fur garments. They can be dyed, plucked, shaved and sewn in a manner that makes the lowly beaver look like a fine fur worthy of a king!

Looks like they put the whole goose!

BHUgo, I have a funny story about pelts from when I lived in Kentucky! Here's the gist, (was spoken by a relatively young woman from Lex, KY)… : "....Your friend was trapping muskrat?... ha so dumb... mink sells way higher, and just as easy to trap"

Gents, Russian Sable fur is nice but I am interested in your tastes in seal-skin overcoats: what types do most folks here prefer? Hooded seal and Monk are obviously my go-to's - especially in early winter - but there are some others that can be had given the right connections.
I've worn boots, slippers, and mitts made of commercially-tanned Ringed seal. It's more like a nice thick but supple leather with hair. I wouldn't wear a coat of it if it was really cold (like -25 to -40 C, but it does cuts the wind. Heavy, too.
The slippers were especially nice, with the hair out on the uppers, and hair inside on the soles. With the sole's hair pointing towards the toe, they do not easily fall off in spite of being a loose fit.
They were easy to come by when I lived here - Google Maps
I have had many fur garments made from furs that I trapped. They are spectacular insulation and very durable. They are also very renewable. Around here people pay to get rid of beavers, muskrats, coyote and raccoons. They all make wonderful fur garments. They can be dyed, plucked, shaved and sewn in a manner that makes the lowly beaver look like a fine fur worthy of a king!
I have a pair of elbow-length coyote mitts with wool duffel liners and suede palms, and they're great. They look like big furry Muppet characters. I wish I could have afforded the wolverine mitts instead.

Otter is nice on hats, though not as durable as beaver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom