What's new

Overcoats - Seal skin

With the sole's hair pointing towards the toe, they do not easily fall off in spite of being a loose fit.

Good observation. I actually KNEW this about those but I'm thinking some folks here may benefit by this advice. Nicely done, sir.

I think here we have a solid base for an argument. Let's go.
Heh.
What about badger hats vs beaver hats?
proxy.php

proxy.php

BHUgo, I have a funny story about pelts from when I lived in Kentucky! Here's the gist, (was spoken by a relatively young woman from Lex, KY)… : "....Your friend was trapping muskrat?... ha so dumb... mink sells way higher, and just as easy to trap"
Good story.
Muskrat makes great hats as well as very plush linings. I’m sure it has been sold as mink many times!

I've worn boots, slippers, and mitts made of commercially-tanned Ringed seal. It's more like a nice thick but supple leather with hair. I wouldn't wear a coat of it if it was really cold (like -25 to -40 C, but it does cuts the wind. Heavy, too.
The slippers were especially nice, with the hair out on the uppers, and hair inside on the soles. With the sole's hair pointing towards the toe, they do not easily fall off in spite of being a loose fit.
They were easy to come by when I lived here - Google Maps

I have a pair of elbow-length coyote mitts with wool duffel liners and suede palms, and they're great. They look like big furry Muppet characters. I wish I could have afforded the wolverine mitts instead.

Otter is nice on hats, though not as durable as beaver.
Beaver is amazing fur. I was going to make a bedspread out of beaver that was dyed except my trapping access for beaver dried up. I might go with raccoon instead. They are everywhere but do not look as cool.

Good story.
Muskrat makes great hats as well as very plush linings. I’m sure it has been sold as mink many times!

Beaver is amazing fur. I was going to make a bedspread out of beaver that was dyed except my trapping access for beaver dried up. I might go with raccoon instead. They are everywhere but do not look as cool.

Good lord, if it's Racoon you want I'll give you the coordinates to my house - you can have them all please. They are amazing creatures (super strong,and actually not bad looking but they need a shave), .. What else now. Seems that I had some good racoon stories.

Good lord, if it's Racoon you want I'll give you the coordinates to my house - you can have them all please. They are amazing creatures (super strong,and actually not bad looking but they need a shave), .. What else now. Seems that I had some good racoon stories.

Top Bottom