What's new

Overall How Do You Rate Your Skin For Shaving?

What is your skin type for shaving?

• Super sensitive

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Sensitive

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • About normal

Votes: 53 59.6%
  • Pretty tough

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Like elephant hide

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
My face is sensitive from what I understand. Daily shaving often results in a little redness by the end of the week and my facial hair is a swirling mess. My jawline is the worst though as the skin is soft and the hair is very tough. The only razor I've been able to shave daily with is a straight, though I was close with the gamechanger.

Many on B&B claim to have a sensitive skin, but maybe they are just the vocal minority.
Whether washing my face and neck at the sink or a hot shower. Extra care is needed or I can irritate and inflame those skin areas. Extra care and skin products help nourish and maintain my good skin health. De shaving and attention to skin health has improved my face and neck skin condition. Presently I shave once every five days. ATG One Pass. I can and do achieve BBS+ shaves regularly. Fewer passes less skin removal equates to better skin health on my sensitive face and neck areas. I shave my head which is normal skin. I marked down sensitive because of neck and face.

I would say I have fairly tough skin generally. It’s seen a lot of sun over the years and never burned, I rarely cut myself shaving, and razor burn generally isn’t a problem except on my neck with cheap carts shaving against the grain. Stinging sand or windy snow has never really gotten to me bad. I still get the occasional zit. I can use reasonable pressure with a SR or DE with no ill effect.

In all honesty I think I have it easier than most guys when it comes to shaving.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
To clarify on my skin being sensitive...

I can get “brush burn” from some highly scrubby or scritchy brushes. Not all, but many.

I also have negative reactions to many soaps causing my skin to react with a mild burning sensation.

And I’m just as prone to razor burn, yet I have very coarse and thick facial hair so I need a sharp yet smooth shave and a gentle lather, brush, and razor.

I'd say my skin and facial har are pretty normal. There are a couple of ingredients I have to watch out for, but on the whole I can shave with most anything I run across.

Mine skin is normal to sensitive...I used an electric razor for over 30 years due to skin being so sensitive. Now I use a mild Tech razor, Arko/Proraso with blades that my skin likes. Since honing in on the right combination I stick with it and the results are no skin reactions or aggravation of any kind ever.

My dermatologist says that my skin is so sensitive that I should not even walk to the mailbox without applying sunscreen. I am also supposed to wear a hat and sunglasses if I go outdoors.. I have rosacea. My skin stays red all the time. My skin is sensitive to sun, heat, cold, wind, and touch. I easily get both razor burn and brush burn. I cannot tolerate alcohol based aftershaves or menthol. Also scents like grapefruit, lime, lemon, peppermint, clove and cinnamon cause severe irritation. Thus, I consider myself to be in the super-sensitive category.

From what I’ve read on these forums over the years, I suspect I have elephant hide. My 64 year-old hide spent its youth in Colorado, including four summers as a lifeguard using baby oil with iodine as a “sunscreen.” I use aggressive razors, and buff every square millimeter of my face 15-20 times. Always a BBS, never skin irritation.

I suspect my tough skin comes from years of working in the sun with no thought of protection and daily shaving. I am able to use aggressive razors with little to no irritation, cuts usually come from inattention when using a straight....

My dermatologist says that my skin is so sensitive that I should not even walk to the mailbox without applying sunscreen. I am also supposed to wear a hat and sunglasses if I go outdoors.. I have rosacea. My skin stays red all the time. My skin is sensitive to sun, heat, cold, wind, and touch. I easily get both razor burn and brush burn. I cannot tolerate alcohol based aftershaves or menthol. Also scents like grapefruit, lime, lemon, peppermint, clove and cinnamon cause severe irritation. Thus, I consider myself to be in the super-sensitive category.

You'd probably benefit from growing a beard. ;)

Normal, average now. Years ago, B.D.E., definitely sensitive from using a multi-blade razor on my face. I couldn't use any alcohol-based AS, couldn't shave every day, and regularly had to remove ingrowns.

Now my favorite razor is an OC (RR JAWS), I have numerous alcohol based AS- some that I have added menthol crystals to, shave every day and sometimes twice a day depending on schedule.

Most people meeting me for the first time think I'm in my thirties when I'm actually knocking on 60- my wife keeps trying to get my nephews to come to me for shaving advice but alas, they choose to do it the hard way while my skin is softer than theirs according to SWMBO.

marty

You'd probably benefit from growing a beard. ;)

I have a cousin who has a similar complexion. He grew a beard. It is pure white. I do sport a mustache, white of course. I shaved it off during the initial phase of the pandemic, but preferred my appearance with it. I have since grown it back. At least that eliminates the need to shave ATG on my upper lip. I should grow chin hair as well as my chin is hard to shave. I doubt I would ever grow a full beard.

must be elephant.

I rarely have any issues with blades.......

minimal weeper sometimes if I'm hugging the spine in tight areas where I shouldn't.

camo

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My cheeks, sideburns, jawline, upper and lower lip are average, but there are spots on my lower neck that get irritated easily.

I look at my face wrong, the shave is ruined. Voted super-sensitive, naturally.

EDIT: After reading the @RayClem post above, I changed my vote to just basically sensitive. Everything is relative!

Fairly average skin. Only spot that gives me any problems is the lower left side of my neck. Most likely it’s a technique issue more than anything else since I’m right handed

Fairly average skin. Only spot that gives me any problems is the lower left side of my neck. Most likely it’s a technique issue more than anything else since I’m right handed

Isn't YMMW a wonderfull thing?

I too am right handed, I shave with right hand, I don't switch hands. And for me it is easier to shave left side of my face/neck than right side
Go figure

Top Bottom