What's new

Over Priced Garbage

Add to that all wooden bowls that are sold with shaving soap. They may look pretty on your counter, but they are basically useless as a soap loading vessel: most are super shallow resulting in a huge mess when you attempt to load the soap from them. So you're basically paying $25-$30 for a pretty looking, but functionally useless wooden bowl.

Agree totaly.
Find the mug or scuttle that suits and use creams or stick.
I have a limit to the shelf space she'll alow me in the bathroom ! lol

I disagree!

I load my AOS and DR Harris in the wooden bowls with very little spillover, and what lather does spillover is easily wiped onto the brush, not wasted.

I think you are making creamy, pasty lather like I do, rather than airy lather.
My Truefitt & Hill bowl works fine for the type of lather I make.
Renato

Electric shavers.
Not trimmers, because trimmers are awesome..but shavers.

When I was way younger my parents got me a Remington..it looked spiffy...but was for stubble only. If you had any facial hair growth beyond 2 days you would need to trim it first or it would not shave. It got to the point that I could whip out my Mach 3 and canned goo and get a better shave in less time with way less irritation.

Not to mention some of the 'high-end' electric shavers go for way north of $100.

Do you remember which version Remington you had? I don't think you can generalise about elecric shavers based on Remington alone.

The old Remington Lektro blade shavers from the late 70s were noisy, but did the job. Mine still works fine.

The next Remingtons were marketed as "Close as a blade, or your money back". They had a long piece of foil with long cutters underneath, and they did cut as close as a blade - for two weeks. Then it was downhill all the way, and replacement cost of the cutters and foils were nearly as great as the electric shaver itself.

Phillips rotary shavers were much better - not quite as close as a blade - but they lasted heaps longer. And their double-action cutters, which I still use, can cut 3 and 4 day old beards. I go back to my Remington while waiting for my face to heal after getting too adventuous with my DE razors. In the end, Remington started making their own rotary shavers, which aren't too bad, though I haven't tested them on 3 day old beards.

Regards,
Renato

This is kind of tough. Some products are bought for name only, and some are just junk regardless of price. I refuse to pay more than $40 for a brush. I have a Frank's brush in best badger that is awesome all for the sum of $35. I can't believe that a $100 brush can do lather any better for the price. GFT comes to mind, it's a great cream but over-priced. Williams is a value. I travel with it because I could care less if anything happens to it. A puck will last 6-8 weeks & it lathers well if you know how to coax it out. For a $1.57, I'll spend an extra minute with the brush and bowl. A total rip off is pre-shave oil IMO. That stuff is mostly modern day snake oil.

I paid $10 for a badger brush from China, and can't tell any difference in its performance from that of my expensive $50 Edwin Jagger badger brush (well, expensive relative to my $2 and $20 wild boar brushes).
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
There are three factors that define the value of a product for me. The actual cost of a product and the performance of said product. And the esthetic of the product. For a product to be valuable to me and become something I want to buy the cost has to be in a range that I like and it must perform the way I would like it to. Plus its esthetics must be appealing to me. If something would cost me an arm and a leg and yet not perform any better than something that I can get at a cheaper price whats the point?
I have three badger brushes that I found for less that 10 bucks each. Two of them. Shea Moisture Shave Brushes cost 4.00 bucks a piece. They perform perfectly for me.
Would a more expensive brush perform better? Maybe. But the price aint right! So there is no value in that product for me.

I have come to realize that a lot people equate quality with price. Case in point. In the area where I live there is/used to be some guys who handmake recurve bows. One of the fellows was my wood shop teacher. He told me that they have to sell them at a premium price so that people will actually buy them.

The same is true for shaving products. Its not always the case though. Some cheap items are cheap made. It all comes down to satisfaction and each of us find that in different ways.

what in YOUR opinion is the most over priced *** stuff out there, be it creams, soaps, razors, blades, aftershaves, and Balms?

you guys talking "overpriced" works as good or better stuff are way off topic... OP asked for garbage and pieces of **** (i presume)... i'd like anyone to stand behind a $100+ blade, strop, or brush and call it a piece of **** .

the only real garbage I have come across was a very thin knot, tortoise hollow handle german made brush we don't see often... they overpriced, but not expensive though .

Haven't yet come across anything I'd call garbage. However, I don't think my expensive (over $100) badger brushes were worth the money. They're wonderful and all, but I like my Turkish horsehair brush (for $2.45) pretty much just as much. And I've got a couple of boars I like too. The badgers are prettier and softer. My preference is for brushes with more body. If I had it to do over, I would not buy those expensive brushes again.

Same for modern razors. Some of them are great, but I don't think they're generally as good a value as the vintage ones. A user quality Fat Boy was recently offered up for $20 on B/S/T and sat there for hours. I haven't found a razor I like better. Slims and Black Beauties can routinely be had for $30 or less. Superspeeds turn up for $12 or $15 (less if one hunts around). Techs and the open combs are less expensive yet. They're all phenomenal razors.

you guys talking "overpriced" works as good or better stuff are way off topic... OP asked for garbage and pieces of **** (i presume)... i'd like anyone to stand behind a $100+ blade, strop, or brush and call it a piece of **** .

the only real garbage I have come across was a very thin knot, tortoise hollow handle german made brush we don't see often... they overpriced, but not expensive though .

If you are speaking of the EJ brush I would agree. Not a good product from a company that normally sells quality stuff that is well made. Confusing actually. And you can tell until you put water to it which I assume makes it non-returnable.

I don't believe he said they were the same. He said their ability to build lather would be the same, and that's something I agree with. A $250 brush doesn't necessarily build lather any better than a $10 Omega Boar Brush. It might look nicer, and it might feel nicer in the hand, and it might feel far more luxurious on the face, but you are not going to convince me that a $250 brush builds better lather. Any usable brush should be able to perform the task it was designed for: build lather, and spread it on your face.

I don't know, I used to think that. End result, maybe the same, but the more expensive brushes build lather far more rapidly in my experience, and with less product.

If you are speaking of the EJ brush I would agree. Not a good product from a company that normally sells quality stuff that is well made. Confusing actually. And you can tell until you put water to it which I assume makes it non-returnable.

no, it was a hans baier brand

Top Bottom