What's new

Outside of the USA: Which country generally makes the best soaps?

For you guys who frequently use INTERNATIONAL products, which country or countries generally make the best soap?

Personally, I'm partial to India. I just love Indian soaps, and I think that Mysore Sandal Soap is one of the best in the world, and Cinthol is a classic. But you're not going to find any old-fashioned tallow soaps from there for obvious reasons.

So if old fashioned is what you're looking for, I think Marco would give a shout-out to Italy. Valobra soaps are from there, generally regarded as fantastic. And I believe that Atkinson's soap is Italian-made as well. That's still a classic toilet soap recipe, and I loved the 3-bars that I sampled from them.

Don't forget France, though. Shea butter soaps and olive oil soaps are their specialty. I love my Pre de Provence bars and whatever I get from L'Occitane.

There are guys here that love Turkish soaps. And the stuff from Klar out of Germany is outstanding, if pricey.

There are bound to be countless other examples that other members will chime in about, but I'll give one last shout-out. The Bee & Flower soaps from China may be a small 75g, and they're super cheap (I found a 12-pack in a Chinese market for $6!) but they are stupendous performers.

$worms.jpg

Difficult question, as there is a whole world to choose from, from my travels I would say that the
best soaps would be from the U.K., Germany and France.

Just bought a Mysore Sandal Soap. Never heared of it but it sounds really nice.

I use Mysore soap. Be careful when you order: there are two varieties, Superior and Export. I've only used Superior, but I've read the Export version is toned down a bit. Perhaps someone with knowledge can chime in...

Another vote for Indian soaps in general, but in fact the soap I use the most is Palmolive Shave Stick which I think is made in Germany.

I use Mysore soap. Be careful when you order: there are two varieties, Superior and Export. I've only used Superior, but I've read the Export version is toned down a bit. Perhaps someone with knowledge can chime in...
The "Export" version has lanolin and is available in a bigger 125g size as "standard." "Superior" is just the name they slap on the Indian version. They're pretty much the same in terms of scent. If you want moisturizing properties, just get the Export version.

The "Export" version has lanolin and is available in a bigger 125g size as "standard." "Superior" is just the name they slap on the Indian version. They're pretty much the same in terms of scent. If you want moisturizing properties, just get the Export version.

Thanks, Kevan. Doesn't the lanolin dilute the scent of the sandal? Just curious.

I haven't noticed. The only version of Mysore Sandal that smells different (not counting the special Rose and Jasmine versions, which I haven't used) is the Gold. The Gold has almond oil, and the fragrance mixes with the sandal. If you get a fresh bar of Export soap, made in the last year, the scent is strong and fabulous. But I have bars that are several years old and they're still basically the same.

Agree with Kevan here. Recently put my artisan soaps aside to try some Indian soaps, and I've been pleased. I'll likely be bouncing back in forth between Indian and Artisan, especially since I just ordered a 10 pack of Mysore. However, currently I'm using a Chandrika Soap‎. The scent is impossible to describe, and I was unsure of it at first. But now I've come to relate that smell to clean and fresh! I quite enjoy it.

My single best soap is Nuàvia Blu firm Italy. I hear all good things about the rest of the PannaCrema line. I don't like Cella. If I were experimenting, I'd go with French next.

Hasn't arrived today. So it will arrive tomorrow. The scent sounds wonderful. I love the scent of the TooBs Sandalwood. Is the scent nearly identical?

The Mysore smells different from the TOBS version, to my nose. I have yet to find two sandalwood scents that smell the same to me, but the Mysore is certainly the strongest.

Hasn't arrived today. So it will arrive tomorrow. The scent sounds wonderful. I love the scent of the TooBs Sandalwood. Is the scent nearly identical?
Totally different. Worlds apart. I mean, I like TOBS sandalwood and have the AS and cologne, but it's sweet, powdery, and soapy. The Mysore Sandal Soap scent is sandalwood with the slightest hint of Rose. The dry bar smells a bit strong and maybe harsh, but give it a chance. Take a shower with it, or at least wash your hands with it. The scent unfurls wonderfully as you lather it, and when you rinse off, what's left on your skin?

That, my friend, is sandalwood. The real deal. And it is gloriously masculine.

Top Bottom