What's new

Outlaws need love too

This is by no means an unknown razor or something that shaves under the radar. But I really do think that this razor does not get the love it deserves. The razor at hand is the ”Outlaw” by Alpha Shaving Works (or Executive shaving).

Ofcourse everything is subjective, YMMV and so on. This is my personal experience and I thought I might share it. Simple as that.

Long post warning!!!

So, lets start with some background information and personal preferences because that is deemed relevant for some.

I shave daily, prefer milder razors. Prefered blade is the Gillette Platinum and lean towards synthetic brushes, although a sneaky SHD badger joins the shave sometimes. Growth is medium (whatever that means), not too heavy but not light enough that I could wipe the stubble off with a towel. I have this one spot above my Adams apple where the growth is akin to a fever dream and is always a pain to shave. I usually get some irritation on THAT spot but nowhere else. Usually do 2.5 passes (2 WTG on the neck though, never ATG down there). Been wet shaving for about 6-7 years.

Personal Favourites:

Feather AS-D2
Karve Overlander
Tatara Masamune

Now with that out of the way. I’ve seen this razor on several SOTDS and read about how efficient it is and all that jazz. Never gave it much thought because I thought that it didn’t look like anything special. Stupid? Yeah. It just looked like a variation of a DE89 and that was a pass for me (nothing wrong with a DE89, I own one).

A week or so ago I traded some stuff with a friend of mine and he added the Outlaw with the standard head as a bonus. He just didnt like it. Oh, cool I thought and buried it in the pet cemetary with all the other unused and shunned gear. But there was something about it that stuck in my mind. The feel, the polish, balance. I kept thinking about it. So I just said screw it, and gave it a shot.

•Zingari x Rogue Mousse Illuminee
•Omega Evo
•Gillette Platinum
•Witch Hazel
•Pro Victis cream from SV

I wont lie. I got a bit ”iffy” looking at the assembled razor. The blade exposure was…generous and plenty of gap. The blade did not seem to be supported as well as ”modern” artisan razors. But the end tabs were covered. So thats nice. The standard head has a .72mm gap and just barely positive exposure.

Lathered up and started swooshing. The first thing that struck me was the sound that this thing makes. Its like hearing a guitar hero sound checking. You just know you are in for a ride. I usually use ”feel” to gauge my angle and pressure. Rarely sound. This razor changed that. The second thing I noticed was the blade feel. For me, its just perfect. I dont mind blade feel but some blade forward razors are just uncomfortable to use for me, like the Blackbird and the Ambassador on higher settings. This was different, the blade was present at all times but never harsh or uncomfortable. It acts like a reassuring guide through the shave. To be honest, it felt like shaving with a perfectly honed/stropped straight using a near perfect angle. No felt chatter at all and it also had a very wide angle span. Meaning that the razor did not punish you if your angle was a bit off (This also means that it lets you choose prefered angle, steep/shallow without drama).

This razor lets you feel and adapt to the different parts of your face. The blade feel also kind of forced me to use proper pressure (some milder razors lets you shave like you were painting abstract art). This razor keeps you focused without being a chore.

I had NO weepers, cuts or irritation post shave and my face was nearly BBS (which lasted about 13 hours). No irritation on my weird Adams Apple spot and that area was even clean shaven. Very rare for me. Same and better results 5 shaves later.

Shaving is subjective. There is no such thing as razor that is amazing for everybody but there are some razors that work really good for alot of people. Razors with high regards like:

Karve CB(I’ve tried AA—>C in SB, and A—>B in OC)

Timeless(I have the .68 SS)

Charcoal Goods (I have the Everyday)

RR Gamechanger/Lupo (I have the .84 and the .72)

And so on.

This razor is right there at the same level at least. Without a doubt. This is becoming a favourite really fast and it really deserves more mention and use.
Quality and build is as good as any 300$£€ + razor without the said pricetag. Give it a shot.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far.
54DA0AE4-45DF-4493-AC0F-9E494AB8C0E3.jpeg

Last edited:
This is by no means an unknown razor or something that shaves under the radar. But I really do think that this razor does not get the love it deserves. The razor at hand is the ”Outlaw” by Alpha Shaving Works (or Executive shaving).

Ofcourse everything is subjective, YMMV and so on. This is my personal experience and I thought I might share it. Simple as that.

Long post warning!!!

So, lets start with some background information and personal preferences because that is deemed relevant for some.

I shave daily, prefer milder razors. Prefered blade is the Gillette Platinum and lean towards synthetic brushes, although a sneaky SHD badger joins the shave sometimes. Growth is medium (whatever that means), not too heavy but not light enough that I could wipe the stubble off with a towel. I have this one spot above my Adams apple where the growth is akin to a fever dream and is always a pain to shave. I usually get some irritation on THAT spot but nowhere else. Usually do 2.5 passes (2 WTG on the neck though, never ATG down there). Been wet shaving for about 6-7 years.

Personal Favourites:

Feather AS-D2
Karve Overlander
Tatara Masamune

Now with that out of the way. I’ve seen this razor on several SOTDS and read about how efficient it is and all that jazz. Never gave it much thought because I thought that it didn’t look like anything special. Stupid? Yeah. It just looked like a variation of a DE89 and that was a pass for me (nothing wrong with a DE89, I own one).

A week or so ago I traded some stuff with a friend of mine and he added the Outlaw with the standard head as a bonus. He just didnt like it. Oh, cool I thought and buried it in the pet cemetary with all the other unused and shunned gear. But there was something about it that stuck in my mind. The feel, the polish, balance. I kept thinking about it. So I just said screw it, and gave it a shot.

•Zingari x Rogue Mousse Illuminee
•Omega Evo
•Gillette Platinum
•Witch Hazel
•Pro Victis cream from SV

I wont lie. I got a bit ”iffy” looking at the assembled razor. The blade exposure was…generous and plenty of gap. The blade did not seem to be supported as well as ”modern” artisan razors. But the end tabs were covered. So thats nice. The standard head has a .72mm gap and just barely positive exposure.

Lathered up and started swooshing. The first thing that struck me was the sound that this thing makes. Its like hearing a guitar hero sound checking. You just know you are in for a ride. I usually use ”feel” to gauge my angle and pressure. Rarely sound. This razor changed that. The second thing I noticed was the blade feel. For me, its just perfect. I dont mind blade feel but some blade forward razors are just uncomfortable to use for me, like the Blackbird and the Ambassador on higher settings. This was different, the blade was present at all times but never harsh or uncomfortable. It acts like a reassuring guide through the shave. To be honest, it felt like shaving with a perfectly honed/stropped straight using a near perfect angle. No felt chatter at all and it also had a very wide angle span. Meaning that the razor did not punish you if your angle was a bit off (This also means that it lets you choose prefered angle, steep/shallow without drama).

This razor lets you feel and adapt to the different parts of your face. The blade feel also kind of forced me to use proper pressure (some milder razors lets you shave like you were painting abstract art). This razor keeps you focused without being a chore.

I had NO weepers, cuts or irritation post shave and my face was nearly BBS (which lasted about 13 hours). No irritation on my weird Adams Apple spot and that area was even clean shaven. Very rare for me. Same and better results 5 shaves later.

Shaving is subjective. There is no such thing as razor that is amazing for everybody but there are some razors that work really good for alot of people. Razors with high regards like:

Karve CB(I’ve tried AA—>C in SB, and A—>B in OC)

Timeless(I have the .68 SS)

Charcoal Goods (I have the Everyday)

RR Gamechanger/Lupo (I have the .84 and the .72)

And so on.

This razor is right there at the same level at least. Without a doubt. This is becoming a favourite really fast and it really deserves more mention and use.
Quality and build is as good as any 300$£€ + razor without the said pricetag. Give it a shot.

Thank you for reading if you made it this far.View attachment 1437339
Exellent razor. Love it. Very smooth, efficient and loud. I love to listen to him while shaving.

Okey, a small continuation on my experience with the Outlaw. Been shaving daily with it for just shy under two weeks now and all I can say that this has made my top tier. It is rare that I can use an efficient razor daily. One thing though. Alas, I have noticed it has some alignment issues as reported from some other users. Now I dont know if this is a QC issue or if all of them have this issue. Mine is from Alpha and not from Executive shaving. It should be the same razor, with the same place of manufacturing. I didn’t notice it at first but 3 days ago I scraped my cheek with some blood to show for it. Checked the head and yep. Crooked blade. Fiddled with it a couple of times and it realigned.

This has been an issue ever since. I Can’t just lock N load without a bit of hassle. This has made me a smidge insecure about the razor which is a shame. Its not that big of a deal but still a big letdown for a razor of this class. Is it the most expensive out there? No. But it is what I would consider a premium offering. Premium stainless razors should not have alignment issues.

Maybe im just unlucky because some of you have the opposite experience.

I'll let you know how the blade alignment is on mine when it arrives. Hopefully don't have that issue.....I'll return it if it does. That is something I won't put up with in a razor.

I just got an Outlaw last week and I'm excited to try it out. The build on it seems very good and it's got a healthy blade gap/exposure to it. I think I'll enjoy it a lot. It reminds me of the Stirling ST plate in terms of look.

My Outlaw arrived yesterday, so of course I had to give it a go this morning. I really like the feel of the razor and the balance of the handle to head. The handle is very nice as well. Does anyone know if this is an all stainless razor? I know the handle is, but no mention on their website about the head. When I put the blade in the first time, it did appear a little crooked. I loosened up the head, wiggled the blade a little and retightened....blade aligned correctly. I took the cap and blade off and reassembled razor about 5 times and the blade alighed fine each time....only the first time I loaded the blade was it a little off. I'll keep my eye on this, but hopefully it's not an issue.

I had no real expectations going into this shave. The razor appears very nicely made, and has nice heft and balance. There is a fairly large gap, with what feels like a slightly blade forward design. I loaded a German Wilkinson Sword blade with a couple of uses on it, lathered up, and started at it. The Outlaw definitely provides audible feedback....one of the loudest razors I have used.....interesting. This thing shaves super smooth, with just a hint of blade feel. I did my typical 3 pass with touch up shave and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've had. The Outlaw really surprised me with it's performance. My face feels like it does (or maybe better) after I shave with my Yates H, Blackbird, or Henson Ti22. Super impressed.

The Outlaw provided a smooth, comfortable, very close shave with little effort. This was a nice relaxing shave, with no hint of nicks or biting. I used a neutral to steep angle (my preference) and the razor had no issues with this technique. I will use the remainder of the week and see if each shave is as good as the first one. Really surprised (if I haven't said that before)....:001_smile

D555CD1E-2D09-432F-A26A-18E4D4769940_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine alignes perfectly
My Outlaw arrived yesterday, so of course I had to give it a go this morning. I really like the feel of the razor and the balance of the handle to head. The handle is very nice as well. Does anyone know if this is an all stainless razor? I know the handle is, but no mention on their website about the head. When I put the blade in the first time, it did appear a little crooked. I loosened up the head, wiggled the blade a little and retightened....blade aligned correctly. I took the cap and blade off and reassembled razor about 5 times and the blade alighed fine each time....only the first time I loaded the blade was it a little off. I'll keep my eye on this, but hopefully it's not an issue.

I had no real expectations going into this shave. The razor appears very nicely made, and has nice heft and balance. There is a fairly large gap, with what feels like a slightly blade forward design. I loaded a German Wilkinson Sword blade with a couple of uses on it, lathered up, and started at it. The Outlaw definitely provides audible feedback....one of the loudest razors I have used.....interesting. This thing shaves super smooth, with just a hint of blade feel. I did my typical 3 pass with touch up shave and was rewarded with one of the best shaves I've had. The Outlaw really surprised me with it's performance. My face feels like it does (or maybe better) after I shave with my Yates H, Blackbird, or Henson Ti22. Super impressed.

The Outlaw provided a smooth, comfortable, very close shave with little effort. This was a nice relaxing shave, with no hint of nicks or biting. I used a neutral to steep angle (my preference) and the razor had no issues with this technique. I will use the remainder of the week and see if each shave is as good as the first one. Really surprised (if I haven't said that before)....:001_smile

View attachment 1439188
Mirrors my experience perfectly! Nice write up, thank you. To my knowledge its all stainless. The description for it on both Executive shaving and Alpha says its all 316 stainless, head and handle.

Keep us posted about the alignment.

I have the Outlaw from Executive Shaving and absolutely love it, and yes, the loudest player in the rotation……
I have the “mild” version, but I would say it is anything but mild and shaves like the standard edition. The Outlaw with a Nacet blade will take down 3 days growth like a hot knife through butter! I have never experienced alignment issues, and to my knowledge this razor is all stainless.

I keep on hearing that this razor is loud, is it among the loudest of razors?

I like loud razors, I like the audible feedback.
Yeah, its like a dad sneezing. THAT loud. That would indicate that there might be some chatter going on but there is zero felt chatter on the face during the shave. Very, very smoothe.

I have the Outlaw from Executive Shaving and absolutely love it, and yes, the loudest player in the rotation……
I have the “mild” version, but I would say it is anything but mild and shaves like the standard edition. The Outlaw with a Nacet blade will take down 3 days growth like a hot knife through butter! I have never experienced alignment issues, and to my knowledge this razor is all stainless.
Yeah the alignment issue seems to be hit and miss.

Top Bottom