What's new

Outdoor Software (Android)

I know, often people dislike the idea of technology outdoors, but I wanted to share a few apps that I've found very interesting and useful while out and about. 3 items to be exact.

1. BirdNET
2. Google Skymap
3. Fishing and Hunting Solunar Time

1. BirdNET is a Cornell Labratories/MIT program for identifying bird sounds. It's very, very intelligent. There's also an option to save recorded samples if you have no internet access at the time and analyze them later. I've found it to work very well and to be very accurate. I've made dozens of successful identifications with the software and it has helped me learn about many of the local birds near my home. Totally Free.

2. Google Skymap is a GPS/gyro based star char. It lets you identify what stars or celestial bodies you're looking at. Sometimes the calibration gets off, but you can usually map out what stars are what to know exactly what you're looking at. This is also a free application that I recommend to anyone who views the night skies.

3. Fishing and Hunting Solunar Time I have the paid version of, although the free version will give you good information for your current day and location, the paid version lets you check tide and moon charts at alternative locations/on alternative days. I mainly use it for tracking the tides, although I have had some luck fishing during high percentage solunar times as well and often try to plan my trips around the solunar calendar. I've found the tide charts to be accurate and have been very useful in beach outings.

I have a pretty large offline collection of software on my phone, but I have found that these 3 applications are the ones that I pull out when I'm outdoors the most.

All of these apps are on the Google Play store. I don't know anything about Apple.

PlantNet is another useful Android App. I use it to identify plants by flower or leaves and trees by their bark or leaves. Very accurate and useful here in SW Florida.

I gave PlantNet a shot and it really doesn't work for where I live. There isn't enough samples here. Haida Gwaii is a genetic isolate ecosystem.

I'm definitely looking for a plant based ID software that works here.

While I'm nerding out...my overall Android UI is kinda crazy. I've been customizing it for almost 8 years now and what I can do with a cellphone is sorta insane. I'm IT backgrounded...

This may not make sense to everyone, but this is a brief breakdown of 1 page of my UI. This is what I can do with my main page (Nova Launcher Prime UI):

Header Wiget (Weather App) 2 Rows.

Row 1
AIMP3
VLC
Celestia
eBay/Amazon(flickup)

Row 2
Chrono(HIIT, ATOMIC Clock flickup)
I/O Apps (birdNet, QR Code & Barcode Reader, Osciloscope, Compass Pro, Physics Toolbox, Sensorbox for Andorid, Clinometer, Milimeter Pro, SIgnal Generator, Frequency Generator, Soundcorset, Barometer, Metronome, Heartrate Monitor, Bose Connect, Win98 Simulator, ZazaRemote, Signal Strength, ConvertPad+)
Files(Degoo, Dropbox, uTorrent flickup)
3D Anatomy

Row 3
Camera (Gallery flickup)
Language (Old School Editor, Google Translate, Translator, My Voice, Ping, Binary Talk++, Calibre, ReadEra Premium, Words{forgotappname})
Fishing and Hunting Solunar Time (FishingBC, Navionics flickup)

Row 4
Google (flickup Maps, Home, Contacts, Hangouts, Sky Map, Earth, Play Store, Drive, Authenticator, Google, Google Pay, Duo

Row 5
Calculator (flickup Calculator Pro, Graphics Calculator, ConvertPad+, Maple Calculator, Math Formulas)

Row 6
Bankup (flickup - All FIN apps)
Microsoft (flickup Word, Excel, OneDrive, Powerpoint, OneNote, 365, Authenticator, Skype)
Messenger (flickup Facebook)
CanadaPost

Row 7
Google Search Bar

Row 8 (scrollable, home)
Phone (flickup Contacts)
Gmail (flickup Compose Email)
Chrome (flickup Google Assistant)
Screenshot_20220118-200113.png

Birdnet is great. My wife and I were at a state park last year when we heard a bird call we couldn't identify. It was twilight and we couldn't see the bird either. Luckily I had Birdnet on my phone. I held the phone up and in no time st all we had the answer.

It was a robin.

Top Bottom