What's new

Outbreak Of Ingrowings. Caused By Daily Shaving?

First, congratulations on finding some great kit!! Nacets are top-tier for me also.

Sorry about the ingrown hairs. Wish I had something to add to the excellent advice above!

For me, ’traditional’ wet shaving daily fixed my issue with ingrown hairs.

merely refining strokes as I learn my growth pattern more, and adapting to it.
Take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I am far from an expert at shaving.

As I get more familiar with a razor and my growth patterns, I tend to get shaves that are too close. Though I tend to draw blood rather than ingrown hairs. Obviously I'm applying too much pressure. My only solution is to grab my most efficient razor to force me to respect the light touch. I also tend to back off from my refined strokes against the pattern -- chasing only a darn fine shave. I think a too refined shave is on the other side of that 'U' shaped curve where too much is too much -- even if you're doing everything right.

Is this the first time you're using Cella? The almond could be a problem--I know you said you're not getting irritation elsewhere. But I've had soaps that seemed fine except for some breakouts and ingrowns in a couple very sensitive spots on the front of my chin. Changed soap and it cleared up. Might be worth a shot.

I don't have a problem with ingrowns and I haven't used it but I've heard that Barbedeaux aftershave helps reduce ingrown hairs.

Have had same problem, same area.
My advice, shave there every other day (well first let these hairs grow, use some abrasive cloth to bring them out )
Use a more efficient razor, start shaving only with the grain max 2 passes
Use a new 1-3 uses per blade (they are cheap).
Try alum after shaving?, I use a mix of witchhazel, alcohol 70% and aspirin (3000mg/ of the previous mixed solution at 50/50)
And finally use a balm (I avoid ones with wax and castor oil as those tend to clog pores).

That's my 5cent solution to the same issue.

I don’t see why the stuff you use would cause or cure ingrown hairs. Surely it’s just from shaving too close and having hairs in those places that can sometimes grow more sideways rather than outwards - so it’s a matter of being prone to potential ingrown hairs in certain spots, shaving aggressively close, and some bad luck.

I think you just have to ease off on those areas and not try to shave ultra-close for a while, until the ingrown hair spots go away. Then you can go back to normal (which presents a risk of more ingrowns occasionally) or continue to just go a bit easier there.

I wouldn’t spend money on creams and stuff. What‘s that going to do about hairs that have grown inside your skin? Also, aren’t dermatologists just face cream salesmen? I can’t believe they are highly trained medical professionals, like people seem to imagine they are.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the great advice, personal experiences and kind words Gents!

To be honest, after tonights shave and the superb results I now regularly get from a shave after 18 months of learning - not to mention the terrific sense of well being and contentment that a good DE shave imparts to me after, with the healing and cheering psychological effects it seems to bring with it - a few fleeting ingrowns seem a small price to pay.

It's not actually that terrible. They are most obvious on the right jawline, about an inch long strip. Hardly any left jaw. Some on upper lip, but I can't abide a bristly top lip.

I may try out the benzol peroxide cream. I like hydrogen peroxide. used to fuel early rocket powered planes, ballistic missiles and independently-breathing non nuclear submarines. I mean, what's there not to like? Hopefully they are chemically related :letterk1: Seriously, it was used in our household I recall, as a rather violent antiseptic and a bleaching agent for the ladies.

Once again, all posters comments were deeply appreciated. Thanks Gents as always!

S.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A good way of dealing with ingrown hairs I learned from Mantic 59 is just take a worn tooth brush or dry boar brush and just gently give the areas of concern a brushing before or after the shave to free them from going inwards or side ways. I had a nasty one years ago and got it out and with using my USB microscope so I just give a gently brush when skin has calmed down and sort of dried and have had no issues ever since.
(Old archived photo from years ago, the hair has come out and back into into the skin. A brushing would possibly lift that hair before giving a lot of grief.) Some areas of the skin are slightly bumpy so the little rascals kind are hidden from the blade to reach them.(Photo is about 300X > with USB microscope.)
Still001 (3) Ingrown hair..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ear to chin and I skin stretch.

Interesting.

I'm still looking for a blade which can go 15-40 shaves which I got with the remarkable Israeli Personna and their 'saloon' cousin, the X Series. They have almost magical properties to my mind. I can't buy any more blades because I am in the Village for 2023 after all! :wink2:

I used to get ingrowns quite frequently with cartridge blades, then again when I started stretching my skin prior to straight razor or double edge shaving..IMO, pushing a dull blade to far & stretching the skin prior to shaving, or using a cartridge razor will make you more susceptible to getting ingrown hairs.

A few tips that helped me not get ingrowns..
1) no cartridge razors ( avoid shaving below skin level at all costs) if ingrowns are a concern
2) no skin stretching ( going over areas multiple times where the skin is stretched)
3) no dull blades..I usually bin at 1 or 2 shaves..I haven’t got a single ingrown since I stopped skin stretching and using a dull blade.

these tips helped me avoid ingrowns and helped stopped Pili multigemini (multiple hairs).. Pilli multigemini was a real problem for me..I used to pull out super thick hairs with 10-15 multiple hairs bunched up in one , Every month or so.
Pili_Multigemini.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issue.

I've had ingrowns in the past as well. Particularly at the beginning when I was still sorting out all of the complexities of razor, blade, soap, ad nauseum.

My experience regarding this is that once I nailed down my variables, shaving daily actually helped my situation.

My beard is fairly light to medium and the rate of growth is such that if I skip a day the whiskers that are prone to ingrowing will usually do so.

In your case, since frequency was the only variable that changed it's very tempting to just assume that was the cause. But, maybe the increased frequency just helpled bring to light some other part of your shave that needs to be adjusted.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

I've had ingrowns in the past as well. Particularly at the beginning when I was still sorting out all of the complexities of razor, blade, soap, ad nauseum.

My experience regarding this is that once I nailed down my variables, shaving daily actually helped my situation.

My beard is fairly light to medium and the rate of growth is such that if I skip a day the whiskers that are prone to ingrowing will usually do so.

In your case, since frequency was the only variable that changed it's very tempting to just assume that was the cause. But, maybe the increased frequency just helpled bring to light some other part of your shave that needs to be adjusted.
Thank you all!

Just as an update, it appears to have stopped for no particular reason I can see..

I adjusted my XTG to a more upward (like 40+ degree) stroke towards jawline from neck. That I have adopted as a refinement of my routine pass pattern.

Top Bottom