What's new

Out of WillG's Shea Soap!

WillG's Shea Butter Shaving Soap was the ONLY soap/cream I have used in 5 months that allowed me to shave without significant irritation. As some may remember, I have a VERY, VERY, VERY tough beard that I spend 5 minutes softening with hot water after I shower. Then I use either a Slant or a Futur with a Feather Platinum. I get a nice, close shave with 3 passes, and I virtually never cut myself.

With Will's soap, my shave has always ended pleasantly. Very little irritation. Not so with other soaps. I own and have tried Trumpers, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill, Harris, Coates, Salter, Pre de Provence, Nancy Boy, QED, L'Occitane, Provence Sante, C&E, Arko, Mitchell's Woolfat, C&E, Proraso.

Will has spoiled me for the other soaps! But the fact remains that his soap was the BEST for me. Bar NONE! Now that he is out of business because of a serious health issue, I feel lost!

If ANYONE has any cakes of Will's soap left that you are not using, please PM me!!

And if anyone has a suggestion for a soap/cream that I have not tried, let me know!

Tom

ps. I also own and have tried more pre-shave solutions than I can name, including Nivea, olive oil, PSO, and lots of others!:tongue_sm
 
vontech said:
WillG's Shea Butter Shaving Soap was the ONLY soap/cream I have used in 5 months that allowed me to shave without significant irritation. As some may remember, I have a VERY, VERY, VERY tough beard that I spend 5 minutes softening with hot water after I shower. Then I use either a Slant or a Futur with a Feather Platinum. I get a nice, close shave with 3 passes, and I virtually never cut myself.

With Will's soap, my shave has always ended pleasantly. Very little irritation. Not so with other soaps. I own and have tried Trumpers, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill, Harris, Coates, Salter, Pre de Provence, Nancy Boy, QED, L'Occitane, Provence Sante, C&E, Arko, Mitchell's Woolfat, C&E, Proraso.

Will has spoiled me for the other soaps! But the fact remains that his soap was the BEST for me. Bar NONE! Now that he is out of business because of a serious health issue, I feel lost!

If ANYONE has any cakes of Will's soap left that you are not using, please PM me!!

And if anyone has a suggestion for a soap/cream that I have not tried, let me know!

Tom

ps. I also own and have tried more pre-shave solutions than I can name, including Nivea, olive oil, PSO, and lots of others!:tongue_sm

Try Tabac soap.... it is probably the closest (comfort wise) to Will G.
 
Tom,
I didn't see Saint Charles Shave or Mama Bear on your list of soaps you've tried. I don't know how they compare to WillG's soap, but I'm sure they are worth a try.
 

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I never cease to be amazed at how different people get different results. I love Willi G's soap, but I gave away a SCS rose soap (amazing scent) that I couldn't get to lather worth a darn. I received it from someone here who suffered the same problem.

That's why there'e vanilla and chocolate.
 
ouch said:
I never cease to be amazed at how different people get different results. I love Willi G's soap, but I gave away a SCS rose soap (amazing scent) that I couldn't get to lather worth a darn. I received it from someone here who suffered the same problem.

That's why there'e vanilla and chocolate.

I didn't know she offered vanilla or chocholate.:lol: However, the Citrus Pie is incredible!

Randy
 
khari said:
Tom,
I didn't see Saint Charles Shave or Mama Bear on your list of soaps you've tried. I don't know how they compare to WillG's soap, but I'm sure they are worth a try.

Yep, everyone gets different results from the same soaps and creams ...

Saint Charles did not work at all for me. The New Spice soap was not lubricating enough for me, and I nicked myself repeatedly while shaving with it. I used it for about a week, with and without PSO. I'd never even heard of Mama Bear's soap until you mentioned it here. I've read all the messages on it now -- but has anyone compared it DIRECTLY to WillG's shea butter soap?

Or has St. Charles improved since January?

Or does anyone know of ANY SHEA BUTTER SHAVING SOAP that might approximate the WillG's soap?

Thanks!

Tom
 
Tom,

I have a number of Mama Bear's soaps, and I like them all. But I don't see them working in quite the same was as Will G's soap.

Here's a thought. Pick up a cake of Col Conk or Surrey soap, add either glycerine of olive oil to it, and melt it in the microwave.

Randy
 
I have Provence Sante, and while I found it to be very good soap, still not up to WillG. I'm certain that part of the problem is undoubtedly my technique, as even after 5 months of wetshaving, I still get razor burn with all the soaps and creams EXCEPT WillG's.

I ordered several of Mama Bear's creations last night, so I will see what I will see with those. I also am ordering several soaps from Oliviaseife.de, as I understand that her soaps are also outstanding. And it gave me a chance to brush up on my German language skills!

Gotta feed my SAD and SCAD!:tongue_sm

Tom
 
Have you tried the Classic Shaving soaps? Will G's is currently my second favorite, with the Classic Shaving Bay Rum my number one. I get very consistent smooth shaves with either.

I am going to have to find a replacement for the Will G's, as the 2.5" size fits my other mug perfectly.
 
Actually, I have never tried Classic's soaps, even though I have ordered from them several tries. I'll give them a shot after the current volley is over...

Thnks!
 
Tom, same thing here, my beard's very heavy and tough, I'm surprised Arko soap didn't work for you, it's my favorite. However, I agree that Tabac's excellent soap, but there's another one you should look into, actually 2. One is Gold-Dachs Spezial, the other is Rivivage, which is sold by Classicshaving. Both these soaps are fantastic for sensitive skin and tough beards, and do they ever smell nice, and they give awesome shaves!

Jeff
 
No offense to anyone here or ClassicShaving, but I think Classic Shaving's cake soaps suck. Lather is hard to build, doesn't hold up well & the scent is just okay, nothing to write home about. Tabac is excellent soap. Can't go wrong with it.
 
Jeff,

I have a bar of Arko that I relegated to the shower. Based on your enthusiasm, I'll give it a try again. It's been a while, but I seem to remember that it did not lubricate my shave enough.. and I had to add some Nancy Boy to the mix.

Thanks!
 
Justso said:
No offense to anyone here or ClassicShaving, but I think Classic Shaving's cake soaps suck. Lather is hard to build, doesn't hold up well & the scent is just okay, nothing to write home about. Tabac is excellent soap. Can't go wrong with it.

Interesting. I'll not agree or disagree about the lather. I don't get a lot of thick, foamy lather with anything (but I don't care to have more lather than I need anyway). But I have to disagree about holding up. It holds up extremely well for me. The reason I suggested it was that it is similar in function to the Will G's, at least for me.

Haven't tried Tabac, but I will.
 
Tom, I find guys either love or hate Arko soap, I love it. If let's say you're not pleased with the next shave you get from it, again check out Gold-Dachs Spezial or Rivivage. The only thing I don't like about those 2 soaps is they're not cheap. Definitely worth a try, if you want an honest opinion. Oh, before I forget, Olivia's soaps are handmade, and smell great, but they don't lather quite as richly as other soaps, but they sure help sensitive skin.

Jeff
 
I have not tried anything mentioned here except the classicshaving soap and the Tabac. The CS soap burned me. I absolutely love the Tabac. One trick I've seen mentioned here is to use the soap with distilled water. I do this and my results are outstanding. I highly recommend it.

Chris
 
as a side note about will g's soap...he never put in any lather enhancers in his soap....supposedly that took away from the slickness...

by the way his conditions worsens...i haven't heard from his frined in over a week.

mark the shoeshine boy
 
Top Bottom