What's new

Our stove tried to kill us

The night before Thanksgiving our slide in electric GE profile range tried to kill us.

We've sold the last of the extra houses and have been moving things over to here. The houses are back to back so short trips. We came in from the 3rd trip to loud beeping and smoke.

The broiler element was on, the stove was glowing and the house was filled with smoke. I pushed the off/cancel and it stopped BUT before I could turn my head, click, it was back on. I had to shut off the breaker to stop the runaway. Opened all the windows and the oven door, hoping it would not ignite.

Let it cool to the touch and switched the breaker on to try to find out what happened. By the time I got from the garage to the kitchen the broiler was on again. Turned it off, click, back on.

Had we been going any longer the house would have caught fire.

I cooked Thanksgiving dinner on a small electric griddle and we were very thankful to be able to do that.

One of the more Spartan and memorable Thanksgiving meals we've had.
2019-01-31_ge_range1.jpeg

Modern stoves, electric anyway, run off a "mother board". Like a computer brain if you will that controls everything. Makes them prone to malfunction, hard to diagnose, and expensive to fix. Sort of like the electric windows in cars now running through the body control module. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with an actual manually operated switch toggling electric current on and off. Why must everything be "smart" these days? Thank God your house did not burn down and you could think on the fly for an improvised dinner.

Modern stoves, electric anyway, run off a "mother board". Like a computer brain if you will that controls everything. Makes them prone to malfunction, hard to diagnose, and expensive to fix. Sort of like the electric windows in cars now running through the body control module. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with an actual manually operated switch toggling electric current on and off. Why must everything be "smart" these days? Thank God your house did not burn down and you could think on the fly for an improvised dinner.
Unfortunately for us the mother board also makes it cheaper to manufacture. Combined with the fact that they are more expensive to fix, it's a double whammy on the profits front. Similar to Gillette and cartridge razors.

Unfortunately for us the mother board also makes it cheaper to manufacture. Combined with the fact that they are more expensive to fix, it's a double whammy on the profits front. Similar to Gillette and cartridge razors.
Correct. And with most things being more expensive to fix than repair, thus putting the appliance repair men out business and sending you back to the big box store for another throw away model. Depressing nut what ya gonna do????

Best of luck finding a new one. We had some real issues as the pandemic has my wife redoing the whole kitchen and the stove was a 3 month wait to get in.

Correct. And with most things being more expensive to fix than repair, thus putting the appliance repair men out business and sending you back to the big box store for another throw away model. Depressing nut what ya gonna do????

Buy a gas stove/oven. We switched years ago, and the wife, hesitant at first is never switching back.

Buy a gas stove/oven. We switched years ago, and the wife, hesitant at first is never switching back.
I miss gas, but in the country we are limited to propane. At times it is quite expensive and they decide your regulator on your tank needs updated from time to time or they will not fill it. We get a discount for being total electric. Blah blah, but I do definitely prefer a gas cook stove. Much better for marshmallow roasting for kids haha

At least two 'fail-safes' failed. The circuit is supposed to fail 'open'. That's covered by their UL safety listing. You should notify GE. They could send someone to pick it up. Might get a new range out of the deal.
Especially, if you play up that it could have killed you. I had a Black and Decker weed eater that was over 10 years old. The head on it exploded and sent sharp plastic shards everywhere. Luckily I was not hurt and no one else was around. When I contacted Black and Decker they sent a new weed eater and a box to ship the old one back. They also wanted all the plated shards that I had. No evidence left?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Best of luck finding a new one. We had some real issues as the pandemic has my wife redoing the whole kitchen and the stove was a 3 month wait to get in.

Yes. For whatever "2020" reason, appliances here are in short supply. Even used ones.

AA

The night before Thanksgiving our slide in electric GE profile range tried to kill us.

We've sold the last of the extra houses and have been moving things over to here. The houses are back to back so short trips. We came in from the 3rd trip to loud beeping and smoke.

The broiler element was on, the stove was glowing and the house was filled with smoke. I pushed the off/cancel and it stopped BUT before I could turn my head, click, it was back on. I had to shut off the breaker to stop the runaway. Opened all the windows and the oven door, hoping it would not ignite.

Let it cool to the touch and switched the breaker on to try to find out what happened. By the time I got from the garage to the kitchen the broiler was on again. Turned it off, click, back on.

Had we been going any longer the house would have caught fire.

I cooked Thanksgiving dinner on a small electric griddle and we were very thankful to be able to do that.

One of the more Spartan and memorable Thanksgiving meals we've had.View attachment 1188733

On my parent's stove,
if you turn the knob from High to Low to Off,
there's a solid click at the end.

If you turn the knob the other way
from Low to High to Off,
there is a very soft click, and the stove might be Off
or you might just think it's Off when it's still On.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow. Glad you were able to catch it.

I prefer some type of gas to cook on. Hate electric. We've been on propane for over two decades and won't do anything else. Have had a GE extra large self cleaning propane stove for years with no problems.

Love gas, use it today for the large cooktop, but spent many years gaining intimate control over resistance electrics. Induction is becoming very interesting, but, you can't broil without some heat source; be it lights, electric elements, or a salamander.

Nah, most likely wanted to reconstruct to get a clue as to what happened (was it fatigue, fault caused by manufacturing problem, bad batch of plastic, etc).
At first I thought so, but the weed whacked was well over 10 years old. Way out of production. The replacement they sent was the same size but not nearly the quality. It didn’t make it to 5.

GE nightmare....., know issue: starts w F7 error then turns itself on. I only have a wall oven *which I hate and the fuse is OFF* now. I wish I had a stove and would just replace it.....these wall mounted and table top stoves are a steal$$$!!!
Get something besides GE/Kenmore.

Top Bottom