Our next project.Stone Cottage Shaving Soap!

Discussion in 'Stone Cottage Shaving' started by MilfordNJGuy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

Mike,

Actually I haven't had time to set up the new shaving soaps in the store with all the online orders I've had to process this past week! Hopefully, I'll get to it this weekend!

We will honor the prices for the weekly Badger & Blade sales that we now offer online, in-store to any of the Badger and Blade members who come in.

2. Great! Thanks, I'll have to stop by soon then. Looking forward to it!

3. beginish

beginish Moderator Emeritus

I had my first shave with the coconut sandalwood this morning. Before showering, I dampened the top of the soap only by wiping my my wet hand across the top. I then loaded a damp Kent synthetic for about 10 seconds. A short face lather later, and I had more than enough lather for my 2 pass shave. I'll need to play with the loading time a bit, but the lather I had was slick, protective and smelled phenomenal. An hour later, I can still pick it up.

Fine work, David!

4. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

Thank you, Sir! Very pleased that you liked it!

5. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

I've been busy today packing up the batches I have been doing over the last couple of weeks to keep up with the demand! Tomorrow I will be doing labels and they will be ready for sale! I may even find time to set up a display in the store for them!

$2016-11-02 16.11.06.jpg

6. Hi,
    When the soaps are available at your retail location, please let us know. I'm planning on stopping by as soon as they are!

Best, Mike

7. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

I should be able to get to it in the next day or so and have them up for the weekend. I'll keep you posted!

8. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

$2016-11-05 12.41.59.jpg

Stone Cottage Shaving Soap is now available in our Warren Glen, NJ store!

9. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

Yesterday I managed to rearrange the shelving in the store and consolidate the Stone Cottage Premium Shaving Creams and open up a section to put in the new Stone Cottage Premium Shaving Soap!

$2016-11-06 16.25.11.jpg

Here they are...waiting... for you!

$2016-11-06 16.25.40.jpg

Today I managed to get all the Stone Cottage Shaving Premium Shaving Cream containers labelled and ready to shrink-wrap!

$2016-11-06 16.32.33.jpg

Time to think about my next project but before I do I will be sharing some things about this project... in a bit...

10. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

Good Evening!

When I first started this project back up a few months ago I had several ideas and directions I wanted to pursue. So, gradually after making several attempts I looked everything over and found that the third version I tried has so many of the characteristics I wanted although it was quite unexpected at the time! It became clear that I was headed in the right direction when I began to use the samples I was making. I got the best results in lathering the samples that I had from all the other batches I had done before and after! So pursue it I did!

The easiest way for me to explain this is to show you two pictures each with their respective information posted below them!

$1327.jpg
    Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, fragrance, Lavandula Officinalis (Lavender) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Triethanolamine, Tetrasodium EDTA

$1751.jpg
    Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Myristic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, fragrance, Lavandula Officinalis (Lavender) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Oil, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Sodium Lactate, Triethanolamine, Tetrasodium EDTA.

Notice the similarities?

That is because...

I turned my shaving cream formula into shaving soap!

The basic ingredients of the formula remained the same and remained in the same ratio while the preservative was no longer necessary another humectant was added to achieve the required results. Obviously other changes needed to be made and experimentation was needed to get this to work in just the right way. Amazingly, when I look back at Formula #3 and compare it with Formula #22 the numbers are very close! "Practice made perfect" over time and now each batch is a breeze to make and takes very little time and energy!

The one thing about this product I have been able to hone in on is it's usage. As a shaving cream turned shaving soap it has special requirements to use:

1. Do not "bloom" or "soak" the puck - you're really adding water to shaving cream when you do it and it just doesn't work well!
    2. Wet you brush with hot water and just wring out the excess before you begin to lather...
    3. Lather with your brush in circles then reverse the circles as you go and you begin to see lather build but wait!
    4. The more you lather, the more the lather builds and although it may not seem that way your brush is loading with the lather you need!
    5. You have three choices at the point... You can begin "painting" the lather on your face then go back and lather more (without adding any water) and the lather begins to build in the brush then on the second and third passes you will find a nice thick creamy lather that covers your face with rich cream - or -
    If you are a "face latherer" you can begin lathering on your face at this time, going back to the bowl and building more lather in the brush and going back to your face and work up more lather this way - or -
    If you are a "bowl latherer" you can head for the bowl and start building more "airy" light lather as bowl latherers do and repeat going back to your container and work up more lather with the brush again this way.

This product has the potential of lathering in a thick and creamy way or a more light and airy way dependent upon your technique, requirements and patience! First you will need to experiment with the initial amount of water and then later you may find you need some added water but most likely very little!

I have been working with many of the production samples and have gotten very consistent results for several months now. Keep in mind, these are recommendations from my experience and people's experiences may vary but they have proven to me to produce consistent results!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  11. Can't wait to stop by!

12. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

"I turned my shaving cream formula into shaving soap!"

I posted this revelation over six weeks ago and not a single comment!

13. MilfordNJGuy

MilfordNJGuy Vendor

Folks,

I see by this thread listed below in the Shaving Soap section here, that several people are unaware that I make pucks of Stone Cottage Premium Shaving Soap!

Stone Cottage Soaps?

As a matter of fact, tomorrow is the first anniversary of their release! Check out this thread when you have the chance and feel free to stop by Stone Cottage Shaving or Stone Cottage Soapworks and check them out!