What's new

Our 5th, 10 Round Bullseye Session Starts on 5/1/2023 - New Shooters Are Welcome!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just a red dot. I want a compensator, don't want to pay for it. :lol:

I really like the ability that the Tactical model has to be ‘adjustable’.

It’s still quite heavy like the longer barreled target models and the threaded barrel allows for more length and front weight by adding a compensator, which will be working to keep muzzle rise down.

Even the longer rail up top will allow the red dot to move forward a good ways moving the weight balance forward if one desires. I’ll probably take the lower rail for the light off for aesthetics purposes, but if I need more forward weight?

I’ll just put it back on and add a light. :)

I’ll post my first score this week, shooting it right out of the box with just the iron sights. Then I will add the red dot on the next few scores. Hopefully there will show an improvement if I’m not just stinking and sucking it up. :)

Then hopefully, I’ll add a compensator and see if my scores are improving and then a trigger replacement getting rid of the magazine disconnect and see if that also makes a difference in scores. Hopefully by the end of the session, my scores won’t look the exact same and prove that I wasted my money on upgrades. :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I really like the ability that the Tactical model has to be ‘adjustable’.

It’s still quite heavy like the longer barreled target models and the threaded barrel allows for more length and front weight by adding a compensator, which will be working to keep muzzle rise down.

Even the longer rail up top will allow the red dot to move forward a good ways moving the weight balance forward if one desires. I’ll probably take the lower rail for the light off for aesthetics purposes, but if I need more forward weight?

I’ll just put it back on and add a light. :)

I’ll post my first score this week, shooting it right out of the box with just the iron sights. Then I will add the red dot on the next few scores. Hopefully there will show an improvement if I’m not just stinking and sucking it up. :)

Then hopefully, I’ll add a compensator and see if my scores are improving and then a trigger replacement getting rid of the magazine disconnect and see if that also makes a difference in scores. Hopefully by the end of the session, my scores won’t look the exact same and prove that I wasted my money on upgrades. :)
Mrs. Stubble will still think you wasted your money.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A5B2D96A-4DB4-4BE8-820A-ADB083AC27E5.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
See the above pics.
I did some bullseye shooting today at the range, I usually shoot bullseye at home with my suppressor on the Mk III 22/45, but today I shot with the 22/45 with the aluminum muzzle break and with the Mk II plain bull barrel. I had begun to get some partially keyholed strikes with some rounds when shooting with my suppressor. Although my YHM suppressor is made to be disassembled for cleaning and has been in the past, apparently I waited too long and the sucker is frozen up tight. I've tried freezing and heating, soaked in penetrating oil and various solvents, ultrasound, etc. with no luck getting it apart. Subsequently I believe I'm getting occasional baffle strikes due to carbon and lead build-up. I will need to send the suppressor in to YHM to see if they can resolve the issue. Meanwhile, I shot today without it.
Other observations that I made while shooting with the Tandemkross muzzle break is that it really doesn't do much for shooting bullseye. If you are looking for some advantage in bullseye, I suggest a steel muzzle break for extra weight.
I did some rapid shooting at a steel plate. First without the brake, then with the break on the MkIII and then with the MkII and it's plain bull barrel. Bottom line, the brake made some improvement in muzzle rise over shooting without it, but the longer heavier MkII had less muzzle rise than the lighter MkIII with the brake. Of course this is not an apples to apples comparison, and shooting standard velocity ammo probably is different than shooting higher velocity as far as effectiveness of the compensator is concerned.

With the MkII
244-1X
Slow fire 75
Timed fire 88-1X
Rapid fire 81-1M

With the Mk III
246-1X
Slow fire 76
Timed fire 84
Rapid fire 86-1X

OkieStubble

Took my Ruger MKIV Tactical to the range today. It needed some breaking in, because the slide and bolt would not cycle with the CCI Standard.

Broke out some Federal Bulk ammo and it cycled that ammo reliably. There were a few glitches, but it fed 98% for the most part.

So I did my first 3 targets of the session straight from the box other than a barrel swab and bolt, slide and trigger lube. Iron sights one handed.

Results were pretty awful.

I gotta get something figured out with my eyes. If I didn’t use glasses at all, sights were really blurry. If I used prescription glasses, target was clear, iron sights we’re double. If I used reader’s, sights were clear, target was doubled.

So I just shot with naked eyes Iron sights and here are my first score results. I need a lot of work. Also not sure if the iron sights are even close to being dialed in. Hard to dial in when you can’t see small detail clearly at 50 ft.

Slow 52

Timed 56

Rapid 53 1X

It is what it is…. My wife leaned over from the next lane and said; “nowhere but up, right?”

I’m hoping so. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , sounds like you need that RDS on pronto and to use your prescription glasses. I'd also try two handed for a while. Perhaps you could try verifying your sights on an easier to see target at a closer range that works better for your vision before trying to shoot again for score at 50 ft.? Although the scores are low for now, it looks like they are consistent. As you shoot better scores, @Bob L. will replace low ones with better ones as you shoot them before the session is out. Have you had a recent eye exam?

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , sounds like you need that RDS on pronto and to use your prescription glasses. I'd also try two handed for a while.

This is all excellent advice my friend. I will do all of this.

Perhaps you could try verifying your sights on an easier to see target at a closer range that works better for your vision before trying to shoot again for score at 50 ft.?

I thought about this. I did move the official target to 10 yds in an attempt to dial in the iron sights with the center X, but the sights being black, plus the center target being black and the fact the iron sights are very big, blocky and crude, made it hard for any finessing of the sights?

I put a red sticky circle in the bullseye to help, but my naked eye blurred out the circle, prescriptions for distance cleared up the circle, but made the sights too fuzzy and reading glasses made the sights very clear and crisp, but the circle became doubled and fuzzy. Ima mess, right?

I know my prescriptions will make a red dot circle clear and keep it from starbursting on me, so I will attach the Vortex Viper right after cleaning it.

Question: 50 ft is approximately 16.5 yds. If I zero the dot at say; 10 yds. Isn’t moving back out to 16.5 changing the zero?

Although the scores are low for now, it looks like they are consistent. As you shoot better scores, @Bob L. will replace low ones with better ones as you shoot them before the session is out. Have you had a recent eye exam?

I haven’t had a recent eye exam. I do get one every year and had an exam 6 or 7 months ago, but I didn’t go get another pair of glasses, cuz I ain’t buying a pair of $300 dollar prescriptions every single year?

That’s gun money brah?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Question: 50 ft is approximately 16.5 yds. If I zero the dot at say; 10 yds. Isn’t moving back ......
If you are going to install your RDS, I'm not sure how much effort I'd put into adjusting your iron sights if you can't use them at 50 ft. due to eyesight issues. And if you can't shoot a small tight group from a rest of some sort, it will be hard to adjust any sight. As far as zeroing at 10 yds and shooting at 16.5, there will probably be some elevation issues, but I have no idea how much. I'd only do a rough sight in at 10 yds, concentrating mostly on windage correction, and fine tune elevation at 50 ft. As your groups improve, you may have to tweak your zero periodically. Unless you are sure that your irons are way off, I probably wouldn't fool with them at this time. I would prioritize getting your RDS mounted, perhaps with a lower profile mounting plate.YMMV. How do you find the trigger? That would be my next priority. You may have noticed that I reported that the alloy muzzle brake for my Mk III 22/45 had minimal effect. If you decide that you want a muzzle brake, I'd suggest a steel one for weight, rather than relying on gas powered compensation.

OkieStubble

My question regarding the zero was for the red dot and not the irons. I plan on picking up Tandomkross’s all steel Pro Comp.

The face of the Ruger’s OEM trigger shoe feels good, but the break leaves me wanting better. Tandomkross offers a trigger replacement with the gizmo to fix the magazine disconnect, or Just the disconnect gizmo by itself.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Oops, looks like the Tandemkross Ultimate Trigger kit is OOS, was in stock when I recommended it. Might want to get on the notification list.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Of course, there is also the option, for a bit more money, of the Volquartsen accurizing kit, with or without the Volquartsen trigger. I have a Volquartsen trigger kit in my MkII. My MkIII has a Volquartsen sear. Both pistols have very nice trigger pulls, but different. The MkII V kit/trigger feels like a slightly lighter trigger pull, but the MkIII with the Tandemkross trigger feels a bit crisper.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Bob L. , are you going to do biweekly score sheets, or when everyone has at least one score? Not being impatient, just wondering how this session will work since it's somewhat different from previous sessions.

See the above pics.
I did some bullseye shooting today at the range, I usually shoot bullseye at home with my suppressor on the Mk III 22/45, but today I shot with the 22/45 with the aluminum muzzle break and with the Mk II plain bull barrel. I had begun to get some partially keyholed strikes with some rounds when shooting with my suppressor. Although my YHM suppressor is made to be disassembled for cleaning and has been in the past, apparently I waited too long and the sucker is frozen up tight. I've tried freezing and heating, soaked in penetrating oil and various solvents, ultrasound, etc. with no luck getting it apart. Subsequently I believe I'm getting occasional baffle strikes due to carbon and lead build-up. I will need to send the suppressor in to YHM to see if they can resolve the issue. Meanwhile, I shot today without it.
Other observations that I made while shooting with the Tandemkross muzzle break is that it really doesn't do much for shooting bullseye. If you are looking for some advantage in bullseye, I suggest a steel muzzle break for extra weight.
I did some rapid shooting at a steel plate. First without the brake, then with the break on the MkIII and then with the MkII and it's plain bull barrel. Bottom line, the brake made some improvement in muzzle rise over shooting without it, but the longer heavier MkII had less muzzle rise than the lighter MkIII with the brake. Of course this is not an apples to apples comparison, and shooting standard velocity ammo probably is different than shooting higher velocity as far as effectiveness of the compensator is concerned.

With the MkII
244-1X
Slow fire 75
Timed fire 88-1X
Rapid fire 81-1M

With the Mk III
246-1X
Slow fire 76
Timed fire 84
Rapid fire 86-1X
Do you want me to score one, both, or none of these experimental rounds?

I've put all the shared scores into the spreadsheet.
  • John - I put both of your "experimental" rounds into the sheet. Let me know if you want me to edit those entries.
  • I'm sending a 400 to 500 arrows down range each week right now as I prepare for the NH Senior Games. I'll start posting scores in July.
  • Alpster - That's a great first score.
  • Rob - Don't get discouraged. This is not easy and for most of us it is a completely different shooting task. You're doing fine.
  • Scott - You're off to a good start.
Here's the sheet...

Score Roll Up for 5-25-2023.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Bob L. , you can let the “experimental “ scores stand, but I would like the first score deleted as it was shot with the fouled suppressor, which may have adversely effected the accuracy, or not. No hurry in the correction.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Both pistols have very nice trigger pulls, but different. The MkII V kit/trigger feels like a slightly lighter trigger pull, but the MkIII with the Tandemkross trigger feels a bit crisper.
I later put the Lyman trigger gauge to them and they both measured well under 2 lbs. The MkIII with the Tandemkross trigger actually measured less at 1lb 9 oz. average, but is crisper and the Mk II with the Volquartsen trigger measured 1lb. 11 oz. average but feels lighter with an almost mushy indistinct break, easy to get a surprise let off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom