What's new

Our 2nd, 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts on May 30, 2022

• Ok, so tell me if I’m doing this wrong. Instead of like practicing and picking my best score from multiple targets, I instead, have been throwing those practice targets away, no matter their scores and then shoot the official session I intend to show for score?

I’ve thrown away some decent looking scores because they were practice?
To submit a score all of the following needs to occur...
1. Shoot targets in order: slow, timed, rapid
2. No do overs or mulligans for individual shots or targets
3. Follow rules for alibis

If you like your slow and timed target results but hate the rapid result...
1. You can't just reshoot the rapid target
2. You may reshoot the entire session starting with the slow target followed with the timed and rapid targets

In essence your score is 30 consecutive shots.

When shooting for score, I always use the timer, unless my practice target turns in a good score. If I'm practicing Slow fire, I just count to 30 or 45 seconds before raising the pistol and taking the shot. That way I don't waste time waiting for all the range commands. When using the timer, I'm usually done by 8 to 9 min. on average, but I try to use most of the time. I don't practice Timed or Rapid fire per se. If I'm shooting a practice Slow fire and I see that I've thrown a couple of shots halfway through the string and won't score well, I fire the rest of the shots rapid and start over. When shooting Timed and Rapid for score, I try to use most of the time. I try to practice a shooting cadence that helps me use most if not all of the time. I raise my pistol for the first shot right after the last command so that I'm ready to pull the trigger when the buzzer goes off. For Timed fire, my cadence is like "Bang-two-three-four-Bang...etc." and for Rapid it is "Bang -two-three-Bang".
I'm shooting everything one handed, so I can't comment on which course of fire it is best to shoot one handed. Slow fire is the hardest and most fatiguing, and with my shoulder issues, I feel that is the one I need to practice most one handed. YMMV.
So, to clarify, as soon as I shoot a good Slow fire target, I shoot my Timed and Rapid-fire targets. So even if I don't use the timer for Slow, by counting up to 45 sec. between shots, I'm using most of the allotted time without going over the time limit. But I always use the timer for Timed and Rapid for score.

I alway practice with a timer and the commands ‘Ready on the Right’. I raise on “ready on the left’ and acquire my sight picture. The cadence of the commands help me to get my breathing and focus calm so the shot breaks on the signal to fire (or when the target turns). Running through the commands with every shot string helps me to start with more consistent focus. Often, during slow fire I’ll start with a dummy round just to get another dry fire practice with the signal, then load and shoot the string. I’m usually done with slow fire in about 7 minutes (I think I should be taking longer..) I try to shot T&R with the first shot to break as the signal sounds and last shot during the last second up to the signal. Getting that first shot right on time makes a big difference. I try to shoot T&R on a cadence but pretty often my brain hiccups and I have to reacquire my sight picture and speed up the string.
I know that I don't have the best posture in the world, but when I slow fire, I try to correct it all at once! In an effort to have as straight a line as possible from my aiming eye (and I'm forcing myself to use my non-dominant right eye) through the shoulder, arm, wrist and sights, I'm rolling my shoulders back, straightening my spine and sucking in my gut as much as possible. Also, I'm turning my head to the right, something I don't do when shooting dynamically two handed with my head facing forward. Foot placement is critical or I'm rocking back and forth rolling on my heels. It all produces strain that I normally don't deal with. But I think it pays off when I do things right, at least until I become too fatigued to maintain the process. In a long shooting session, I begin shooting like crap, improve to a certain point, then it all goes back in the other direction!

From what I’ve seen, and my experience bullseye shooting doesn’t follow a set form as it did a while ago. Better results come from balance and finding a position where you are comfortable (not fighting to hold a form) and can hold with proper sight alignment with your eye. I think Brian said that ‘natural point of aim’ is not what you are looking for here but perhaps it’s a natural position. I set my grip, my stance, raise my gun to target, find my balance, adjust, and repeat until the gun and sights rise up to the target without any conscious effort to point at the target. My position can vary significantly depending on the day and time of day. Sometimes I’m looking over my shoulder, other times I’m squared off facing the target. The big thing is balance, as i get fatigued my shoulders will be leaning pretty far back off my hips and the position of my non-shooting hand will move around to help balancing the gun. My grip will vary somewhat depending on the day. The key is to set the grip and grip pressure the same throughout the 10-shot string of fire. Having a couple of wood blocks on the bench to rest the gun on helps with fatigue. Keep the grip constant whole the gun is lowered, but having the block in the right spot helps take the weight off your arm.

Stretching, especially my neck and back before and between strings really helps.

Tom

My one-handed session on league night earned a 163 - 0X.

So, I decided to go to the range, turn on the air conditioning, and shoot again. I shot two-handed for a 252 - 2X score.

I was happy with my timed, so so on the rest. Posting targets to have my scoring reviewed.

View attachment 1500256
69View attachment 1500257
71-1x one outside ring.
View attachment 1500258

Is this a sneaky way to get someone to tally your sheet? :)

Match 300 @ 50ft
Target Score Shots
Slow B2 71 10 9 8 8 8 7 6 6 5 4
Timed B3 72/1X X 9 9 8 8 7 7 7 7 M
Rapid B3 81/0X 10 10 10 9 8 8 7 7 6 6
Total 224/1X ✓
Notes

If a hit touches a line score the higher ring. Slow target, 7 ring at one o'clock... From the picture, I'm scoring this as an 8-ring hit. If I had the target I'd use a scoring gauge to verify this.

Fine targets!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The three targets must be shot consecutively. So if I'm shooting practice slow fire targets and shoot one that I think is good, then I have to immediately shoot my timed and rapid fire targets for score. But if I shoot an OK slow fire and think I might do better on the next target, shoot another target but do not as well as I had hoped, I can't go back and select the better target for score.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Is this a sneaky way to get someone to tally your sheet? :)

Match 300 @ 50ft
Target Score Shots
Slow B2 71 10 9 8 8 8 7 6 6 5 4
Timed B3 72/1X X 9 9 8 8 7 7 7 7 M
Rapid B3 81/0X 10 10 10 9 8 8 7 7 6 6
Total 224/1X ✓
Notes

If a hit touches a line score the higher ring. Slow target, 7 ring at one o'clock... From the picture, I'm scoring this as an 8-ring hit. If I had the target I'd use a scoring gauge to verify this.

Fine targets!
Actually no. 😂

I did want my targets reviewed just to make sure I know how to add. Thanks for showing me I can’t. 😂😂😂

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried to shoot this week's targets this morning, but I just couldn't get it together. Probably have too much on my mind, I have to attend a funeral this evening. But anyways, I practiced form although my targets didn't reflect it. I concentrated on a more natural stance and natural point of aim. I did the exercise where you close your eyes and raise the gun to the target, open eyes and see how things were aligned. If my dot wasn't close to being centered in the sight window, I adjusted my grip. If my dot wasn't on target, I adjusted my foot position. I also practiced focusing on the target rather than the dot and shooting both eyes open, using my non-dominant right eye. This greatly reduced the asymmetry of the dot due to my astigmatism. I'll have to shoot for score next week for week 9. I can't believe we've almost completed another 10-week league!

Here are last week's scores. We are entering week 10.
  • Scott - Did I drop one of your scores or do you still need to shoot week 9? I can put the score back in for the week I took out a lower score and replaced it with a higher score.
  • All - We have had weather, vacation, and possibly work issues this session. What do you think about extending this out a week or two to give some catch-up time to those who need it?
  • Rob - If we agree to some catch-up time... If you post more scores I'll drop them into your column. That will help establish a more accurate handicap. If, we choose not to extend this session out, your handicap will become reasonably accurate in two or three weeks. As this happens, you'll notice your previous handicap scores move up and/or down.

Score Roll Up for 8-7-2022.jpg

The three targets must be shot consecutively. So if I'm shooting practice slow fire targets and shoot one that I think is good, then I have to immediately shoot my timed and rapid fire targets for score. But if I shoot an OK slow fire and think I might do better on the next target, shoot another target but do not as well as I had hoped, I can't go back and select the better target for score.
That's it. You can't cherry pick targets.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Here are last week's scores. We are entering week 10.
  • Scott - Did I drop one of your scores or do you still need to shoot week 9? I can put the score back in for the week I took out a lower score and replaced it with a higher score.
  • All - We have had weather, vacation, and possibly work issues this session. What do you think about extending this out a week or two to give some catch-up time to those who need it?
  • Rob - If we agree to some catch-up time... If you post more scores I'll drop them into your column. That will help establish a more accurate handicap. If, we choose not to extend this session out, your handicap will become reasonably accurate in two or three weeks. As this happens, you'll notice your previous handicap scores move up and/or down.

View attachment 1501304
I still owe you 1 week, I fell behind when Mom broke her hip. I plan to get caught up this weekend. I am ok with extending a bit to let others catch up.

I for one appreciate the time you are putting into this Bob. It is a lot of fun and I for sure vote for a round 3.

I still owe you 1 week, I fell behind when Mom broke her hip. I plan to get caught up this weekend. I am ok with extending a bit to let others catch up.

I for one appreciate the time you are putting into this Bob. It is a lot of fun and I for sure vote for a round 3.
Thanks for letting me know I hadn't dropped one of your scores. Doing this is not a problem. I like statistics and remember... "Numbers are our friends!".

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A disappointing showing for week 9, It may be Monday before I can shoot for this week.
245-1X
Slow 83
Timed 84
Rapid 78-1x, M

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A disappointing showing for week 9, It may be Monday before I can shoot for this week.
245-1X
Slow 83
Timed 84
Rapid 78-1x, M

You did better than me. I think I'm going to go back to two handed next week, until I can see a doctor to see if I'm developing a hand tremor. 1-handed was absolutely awful. I could not even seem to minimize the dot from shaking all over the place. At least not one handed?

One Handed:

Slow Fire: 1096555544M: 53
Timed: X98877776M: 69-1X
Rapid: 99776666MM: 56

Total: 178-1X

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , did you shoot the above scores cold, or did you practice a bit first? I had to shoot several targets in practice before my dot settled down enough to shoot the scores I posted. I too have some tremors. I even missed the whole target once on one of the practice targets. Usually, my accuracy improves as I shoot, up to a point, then I get fatigued, and it all goes to crap again. Some shooting sessions I never get a target worth submitting for score.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble , did you shoot the above scores cold, or did you practice a bit first? I had to shoot several targets in practice before my dot settled down enough to shoot the scores I posted. I too have some tremors. I even missed the whole target once on one of the practice targets. Usually, my accuracy improves as I shoot, up to a point, then I get fatigued, and it all goes to crap again. Some shooting sessions I never get a target worth submitting for score.
I certainly can relate to much of what you say. I too can start feeling fatigued and it effecting my accuracy. I actually have started doing what you suggested in an earlier post.

I practice shooting several slow fire targets. When I finally shoot one I am happy with, I will then immediately shoot a timed and rapid target so as to follow the rules in not just picking a favorite target, but presenting the three targets that I shot in succession.

While I have never shot .22 competition in the past or even a whole lot of RDS shooting either, I have shot quite extensively for a great many number of years. I sometimes thought or felt like I might be getting a tremor before with iron sights, even before I retired.

I might take the Vortex off and just shoot irons next week one handed just to see if there is any difference.

I get that there should be always some movement in the dot when aiming, but my dot seems to jump around in a much larger unstable pattern then what would seem normal to me?

Top Bottom