What's new

Our 2nd, 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts on May 30, 2022

All this talk of using a .22 to improve shooting skills, thinking about getting a Ruger Mark, etc, had me thinking about getting a part time job at the local range to get employee discounts. :)
My 22LR CCI Standard rounds cost about 12 cents each. Norma 124 grain, FMJ, Range and Training rounds, sub-sonics, go for around 36 cents. That means every 22LR round fired saves me 24 cents when compared to 9mm costs. I typically shoot 40 rounds on Friday's Bullseye League night and another 60 rounds during the week practicing. That totals out to $12. Doing the same with 9mm ammo would cost $36.
  • 52 weeks X $12 = $624 a year for 22LR
  • 52 weeks X $36 = $1,872 a year for 9mm target rounds. (reloads seems to average around 30 cents each or $1,560 a year)
  • You save $1,248 a year shooting the 22LR ammo. You can buy a really nice 22LR pistol for far less than that.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Better late than never. I couldn't break 80 on slow fire, fired a 79 twice in a row, decided to move on. Final results for this week's efforts:

256-1X
Slow 79
Timed 84-0X
Rapid 93-1X

Here's last week's score rollup. There's lots of good news below.
  • Scores used for the handicap calculations are tightening up.
  • I predict rising averages for all of us.
I'll add Tom's score in once he's posted it.

Score Roll Up for 6-12-2022.jpg

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Sorry to say I haven’t been able to get to the range last week or this week. Planning to catch up with some shooting this weekend.

Tom

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

Sorry to say I haven’t been able to get to the range last week or this week. Planning to catch up with some shooting this weekend.

Tom
One nice thing about a spreadsheet that doesn't include a date function is not having to worry about the "whens". Shoot when you can. :a23:Never noticed the bacon glyph. Had to use it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Excellent choice. Which model did you get? Mine was ready for its first session after a light cleaning and slide oiling. Enjoy!

It’s the URX model.

Question for you Bob. What do you think about the ‘Heggis Flip?” Was that just a mod for older models or current ones also?

It’s the URX model.

Question for you Bob. What do you think about the ‘Heggis Flip?” Was that just a mod for older models or current ones also?
Here's a link to a video that shows how to do the Heggis Flip.

I let two of the best shooters in my bullseye league try out my Buckmark. I wanted their opinion before I worked on the trigger. Both used modified/tuned S&W 41s and High Standards. One has a new CNC'd HS that he's in the process of tuning. Prior to shooting my Buckmark, both said I should lighten the trigger. I liked the trigger and didn't think it needed any work. After putting five rounds down range on different evenings, both said the same thing. Don't change anything. One asked me if I did the trigger job.

Turns out Browning sold my pistol to the dealer I bought it from at a Shot Show in 2009. The pistol was modified and tuned for the show for precision shooting by Browning. My dealer bought it because he liked the grips. No one was willing to pay what he wanted for it until I came along. He didn't know what he had. I wanted a full-framed, UFX target model Buckmark. This was the only one I found after a month plus of searching and the grips were almost exactly what I was looking for in terms of configuration. I got lucky. I bought a match-tuned pistol at a bargain price. The only excuse I have for my scores is me. The pistol is a tack driver. I'm stuck in the 250s and working hard to get into the 260s.

Regarding the Heggis Flip. Several bullseye shooters in my league have done the flip and polished their Buckmark's internals a bit to smooth things out. They said it drops the force needed to cycle the trigger to around 2.5 pounds. I don't know if my pistol has been HF'd or if Browning used another technique.

The enabler in me is coming out. Here's a link to the new CNC'd High Standards. https://highstandardfirearmsusa.com/"x-series" They are beautiful and definite tack drivers. However, getting them to feed the 22 rounds you want to use can be problematic because the magazine feed rounds directly into the barrel. You have to manually tweak the magazine to smoothly feed the rounds.

One of the reasons I like my Buckmark is because it feeds, fires, and cycles anything fed into it. CCI Standards is all it gets until my scores work their way into the 280s.

OkieStubble

Here's a link to a video that shows how to do the Heggis Flip.

I let two of the best shooters in my bullseye league try out my Buckmark. I wanted their opinion before I worked on the trigger. Both used modified/tuned S&W 41s and High Standards. One has a new CNC'd HS that he's in the process of tuning. Prior to shooting my Buckmark, both said I should lighten the trigger. I liked the trigger and didn't think it needed any work. After putting five rounds down range on different evenings, both said the same thing. Don't change anything. One asked me if I did the trigger job.

Turns out Browning sold my pistol to the dealer I bought it from at a Shot Show in 2009. The pistol was modified and tuned for the show for precision shooting by Browning. My dealer bought it because he liked the grips. No one was willing to pay what he wanted for it until I came along. He didn't know what he had. I wanted a full-framed, UFX target model Buckmark. This was the only one I found after a month plus of searching and the grips were almost exactly what I was looking for in terms of configuration. I got lucky. I bought a match-tuned pistol at a bargain price. The only excuse I have for my scores is me. The pistol is a tack driver. I'm stuck in the 250s and working hard to get into the 260s.

Regarding the Heggis Flip. Several bullseye shooters in my league have done the flip and polished their Buckmark's internals a bit to smooth things out. They said it drops the force needed to cycle the trigger to around 2.5 pounds. I don't know if my pistol has been HF'd or if Browning used another technique.

The enabler in me is coming out. Here's a link to the new CNC'd High Standards. https://highstandardfirearmsusa.com/"x-series" They are beautiful and definite tack drivers. However, getting them to feed the 22 rounds you want to use can be problematic because the magazine feed rounds directly into the barrel. You have to manually tweak the magazine to smoothly feed the rounds.

One of the reasons I like my Buckmark is because it feeds, fires, and cycles anything fed into it. CCI Standards is all it gets until my scores work their way into the 280s.

Great post. Very informative and educational for me since I am a newbie at this.

My chiltrin’. Gave me a $600 Academy gift card for FD. They happened to have all the basic flavors of .22 behind the glass today. For an hour, I got to handle a MKIV and S&W Victory along with the Buckmark. Most .22 forums say you really can’t go wrong with any of them. Trigger differences are slight and vary depending on the posters brand they personally own. :)

The Buckmark felt best in my hand. What I found interesting, was the standard victory, mkiv and URX were all listed on the FD special at $399.99, but they had a mkiv target pistol for $499.99. The target mkiv trigger didn’t feel any better than the Browning to me and the barrels were the exact same length?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble, glad you got a nice pistol! Are you able to measure your stock trigger pull? My Mk II has a Volquartsen trigger and my MkIII has a Tandemkross trigger. IIRC, they are both pretty light at about 2 lbs., more or less. Of course, the geometry is different between the two and they feel different, both good. The Volquartsen has a curved trigger and the Tandemkross a flat trigger.

Great post. Very informative and educational for me since I am a newbie at this.

My chiltrin’. Gave me a $600 Academy gift card for FD. They happened to have all the basic flavors of .22 behind the glass today. For an hour, I got to handle a MKIV and S&W Victory along with the Buckmark. Most .22 forums say you really can’t go wrong with any of them. Trigger differences are slight and vary depending on the posters brand they personally own. :)

The Buckmark felt best in my hand. What I found interesting, was the standard victory, mkiv and URX were all listed on the FD special at $399.99, but they had a mkiv target pistol for $499.99. The target mkiv trigger didn’t feel any better than the Browning to me and the barrels were the exact same length?
IMHO hand feel is extremely important. Glad to hear you had a great set of choices. You might want to put a few hundred rounds through it before changing the trigger pull to give yourself a comparison point. Have fun!

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble, glad you got a nice pistol! Are you able to measure your stock trigger pull? My Mk II has a Volquartsen trigger and my MkIII has a Tandemkross trigger. IIRC, they are both pretty light at about 2 lbs., more or less. Of course, the geometry is different between the two and they feel different, both good. The Volquartsen has a curved trigger and the Tandemkross a flat trigger.

They rave about Volquartsen don’t they? :)

Top Bottom