What's new

OUMO Sparrow S-1 Synthetic Knot

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
So, I broke down and made another one. This time I used the 27 mm knot (needs a 28.5 mm hole) and set it at the absolute max height (so only the glue plug is in the handle), this one came out to a 57 mm loft.
It does behave differently compared to the first one, still I think it is not my choice for a synthetic brush. It is still very springy, and also resists to splaying, however, not as bad as the 29 I made first. If i get it to splay (more force than any badger I ever used needed), it is fine on a spot, but when I move it a bit to the side, it "jumps"- not sure if this is a term that should be used. It is really hard to describe this behavior, I think lower density would be appropriate and then it might be a fine brush.
If someone here is willing to try them both, let me know and I will ship them for a brief period so someone else can gets experience with these knots.
Just let me know.

I've come to like this Sparrow brush and use it regularly. It manages water differently than any other synth and I've learned to make excellent lather with it. It does feel springy at first but that stiffness is also helpful to load soap from the bottom of my shave bowl. But if I resist trying to splay it until the knot is full of soap then it splays easily. Super soft on the face.
Image2370629544032063243.jpg

Liking this Sparrow more and more and adjusting to it's differences from other synths. I think I'll pick up the latest offerings from Oumo as soon as they're both available. They've had two in development this year and only one of them became available this week.
PXL_20230923_153416356.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

hello
Are you still using the sparrow? I recently took the Oumo super fiber, which I'm very happy with.
With some friends we are making a personalized brush and would like to use the sparrow.
What suggestions do you have for us?
We would like to take the 25mm fan and set it with 54mm of loft as suggested by Oumo.
Then eventually raise it if needed
The height of the knot is now 70mm total (I asked he Oumo)

I use my Sparrow weekly and really like it. Yes the "springiness" and the pressure required to splay are real things as it's a super dense knot compared to any other synth I have. But the end game of the purpose for the brush, the lather, is consistently fantastic. So, I don't compare the brush to other brushes because it's kind of it's own unique thing in my collection. I bowl lather most days and after this brush has picked up some soap, which it does very well with excellent stiffness, the knot eventually starts to splay easier and painting strokes on the face are very good for feel and flow. I used it this morning.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Still really enjoying the Sparrow, not by comparing it to other brushes, but simply for what it is, which is a super dense brush that is also super soft. It's well documented that this dense synthetic is rather resistant to splaying, but what isn't said enough is how positive that attribute is when scrubbing the face. It doesn't flop. It stays stiff yet without any hint of scratch. Very nice if you enjoy a good stiff yet comfortable face scrub as I do with a great soap. The Oumo handles are also first rate. @Enzima23 I should pick up that Super Fibre as well.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Learning still the water retention properties of this brush. Quite different than the G5 series. Today I flicked the brush coming out of a full soak and it still had a little bit too much water in it for the shave. I think it needs a full squeeze after the soak.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I did revisit my brush, shown earlier in this thread, this week. It is still the same as I had reported here - unusable for me, so it goes back to desk duty - great brush for dusting off my keyboard and the screen of the computer, maybe take it to the car for some dust job. Still have two of the four knots I ordered in my shop.

Top Bottom