What's new

OUMO Sparrow S-1 Synthetic Knot

I'm testing synthetic knots and just received this 27mm hybrid (no handle). This seemed like an affordable alternative to the Wald, at least that's the impression I got from reading OUMO's description. I was considering matching it up with a custom handle. First impressions:

1. 27mm is small. The 29mm knot also offered now seems like a better choice.
2. The packaging from the factory is classy, so it's a disappointment that the knot isn't particularly well formed. Conformation's a little lopsided.
3. It's extremely soft and very dense. Splay is not particularly easy to accomplish, but it can be done with pressure. Not surprisingly, it doesn't dry quickly (after washing and test-lather).
4. The manufacturer recommends a 51mm loft with this size knot, so without the handle it's not a true test, but I wanted to give members a quick glimpse. Once I run a real lather I'll know pretty much if I want to continue looking for a handle.

I'm testing synthetic knots and just received this 27mm hybrid (no handle). This seemed like an affordable alternative to the Wald, at least that's the impression I got from reading OUMO's description. I was considering matching it up with a custom handle. First impressions:

2. The packaging from the factory is classy, so it's a disappointment that the knot isn't particularly well formed. Conformation's a little lopsided.
3. It's extremely soft and very dense. Splay is not particularly easy to accomplish, but it can be done with pressure. Not surprisingly, it doesn't dry quickly (after washing and test-lather).
4. The manufacturer recommends a 51mm loft with this size knot, so without the handle it's not a true test, but I wanted to give members a quick glimpse. Once I run a real lather I'll know pretty much if I want to continue looking for a handle.
Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a photo.

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a photo.
One of the reasons I stopped posting here was never having a good enough camera to capture photos that match the quality of those usually presented here. Unfortunately, I still don't. There is a photo on the OUMO website that captures the essence of the knot, and the one I have is similar. The glue base is well done, and the knot has not lost a fibre in one washing and two latherings (one full face lather with three passes).

The Sparrow as is doesn't perform like the Walds I've seen in action (if in fact OUMO is trying to duplicate it). Aside from the softness of the fibres from top to bottom (they really are "different" than other synthetics I've tried), it's too dense for my taste and requires lots of pressure to splay. This is my limited experience; I hope other members can provide more (or different) detail if and when they get their own Sparrow and handle.

I bought a Sparrow knot and a handle a few weeks ago. It's currently going through Canadian customs. I ordered the knot and a handle in the same order without giving instruction. I'll have to wait and see when it arrives if they set the knot in the handle or not.

Wow, surprised the knot was not formed well, and arrived lopsided.

Although a true test in a handle would be most accurate. From what you’re describing the performance sounds similar to my experience with the Wald A1 in its current density (instead of its original (OG) density from the prototypes and first batch).

Current density A1 was too dense to allow flow through and splay well (too much springy resistance and the tendency to splay in sections). A friend shared comparitive photos and confirmed the OG density didn’t have those issues (and is somehow softer). Have ordered another A1 in the OG density, and will confirm once tested.

It’s very interesting and useful to hear about the Oumo Sparrow knot, and I look forward to more impressions from others. I can confirm that my Wald A1s are extremely easy to splay, both bulb and fan - much easier than any other synthetic knot I’ve tried - so this sounds like the main difference. But hopefully Oumo can work on this.

It’s very interesting and useful to hear about the Oumo Sparrow knot, and I look forward to more impressions from others. I can confirm that my Wald A1s are extremely easy to splay, both bulb and fan - much easier than any other synthetic knot I’ve tried - so this sounds like the main difference. But hopefully Oumo can work on this.
That’s a unique experience, opposite of mine. Current density A1 was the most difficult to splay of any synth I’ve experienced, including trafalgar which ime was more difficult than G5C (which many folk have stated has badger-like backbone, but I found splays fairly easy).

Reactions: nav

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Fighting with Oumo and made also a Paypal complaint. I ordered them end of last year and they are still sitting somewhere in China waiting to be picked up - and I paid for expedited shipping. Communication with the Chinese is horrible, thats the most positive I can say. With all this said, I doubt I ever would order from them again.

Rudy Vey

They finally showed up here today. Very nice packed in small velvet pouches (which my wife loves). As soon as I am able to get back to the shop, I will make one for me and see what it is all about. First touches they seem very very soft and dense, so not your typical synthetic knots.

They finally showed up here today. Very nice packed in small velvet pouches (which my wife loves). As soon as I am able to get back to the shop, I will make one for me and see what it is all about. First touches they seem very very soft and dense, so not your typical synthetic knots.
Nice, glad they finally arrived! Can you take a photo from above looking down into the knot? 🙏👀

proxy.php

Had some time today and decided to wet the Sparrow for the first time and do a palm lather even though it'll be February before I use the brush. Based on pics alone of the Wald synth, they appear similar. Based on this first palm lather I am expecting quite a different synth experience from others. It's so dense! And soft.
Before wet.
Image299563846215116489.jpg
After wet.
Image8180191071446247952.jpg
After drying. No visible change.
Imagepipe_18.jpg
Looking forward to actual use.

Had some time today and decided to wet the Sparrow for the first time and do a palm lather even though it'll be February before I use the brush. Based on pics alone of the Wald synth, they appear similar. Based on this first palm lather I am expecting quite a different synth experience from others. It's so dense! And soft.
Before wet. View attachment 1596039After wet. View attachment 1596040After drying. No visible change.
View attachment 1596042 Looking forward to actual use.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm really intrigued how this brush will perform.

I used the Sparrow today. Not sure what to think. My first impression is that it emphasizes the worst characteristic of a synthetic brush, which is a springyness that resists splaying. But perhaps it's intended for painting and not scrubbing. I'll keep using it but so far I'm more impressed with the handle (ebonite) than the knot.
Image6979492745022469436.jpg

Rudy Vey

So, today was my first day back in the shop, just to see how I can "handle" it to make a brush or two.
It was actually not as bad as I had feared, but still have to be careful what I am doing.
Here is the product of today's day in the shop.
Made a handle from Lemondrop and set one of the new Oumo Sparrow knots in it.
I have only a 30 and 32 mm drill bit, so I used the first one and then opened up the the knot hole with sand paper.
This is the 29 mm knot. These knots are quite short. Here it is shown at the max loft 52 mm and the knot is a bit over 30 mm at exit from handle. Tomorrow I will use this for my shave, update with my findings will be posted here.

Oumo Sparrow.jpg

So, today was my first day back in the shop, just to see how I can "handle" it to make a brush or two.
It was actually not as bad as I had feared, but still have to be careful what I am doing.
Here is the product of today's day in the shop.
Made a handle from Lemondrop and set one of the new Oumo Sparrow knots in it.
I have only a 30 and 32 mm drill bit, so I used the first one and then opened up the the knot hole with sand paper.
This is the 29 mm knot. These knots are quite short. Here it is shown at the max loft 52 mm and the knot is a bit over 30 mm at exit from handle. Tomorrow I will use this for my shave, update with my findings will be posted here.

View attachment 1598563
Beautiful, and the handle colour goes great with the grey knot. Yeah, it does look like it needs more loft for that size. I think the fibres Wald uses are quite a bit longer. But I am looking forward to hearing how it performs.

Top Bottom