What's new

Ouch! That smarts!

Evening again Gentlemen,

So today I had a great shave and my shaves are getting better every day. Im totally happy right now with my performance and progress at least today...lol, Im still new. But, today my sister came over and I was showing her my new hobby can sliced myself (not that bad, but BAD ENOUGH!!) on my index finger. About an inch long, bled like a mother!! Im okay. Got myself a minions band-aid (got kids?)lol. Safe to say, she wont be trying out the hobby we all love so much. The butterfly effect on this one could travel cities wide... lol. Sorry guys, I will better promote our sport in the future! But....

It got me thinking...

Anybody else has a newbie moment like this one ? ? ?

What are your experiences with tiny errors that were dearly paid for???

Stay focused when in the presence of sharp or otherwise dangerous objects. But can't blame you for telling the world how wonderful it CAN be.

1. I have nicked myself twice while handling blades. Not seriously but enough to make me realize just how sharp those things are.
2. I need to get some minion (Dave is my favorite) bandages. We just have Cars ones.

Evening again Gentlemen,

So today I had a great shave and my shaves are getting better every day. Im totally happy right now with my performance and progress at least today...lol, Im still new. But, today my sister came over and I was showing her my new hobby can sliced myself (not that bad, but BAD ENOUGH!!) on my index finger. About an inch long, bled like a mother!! Im okay. Got myself a minions band-aid (got kids?)lol. Safe to say, she wont be trying out the hobby we all love so much. The butterfly effect on this one could travel cities wide... lol. Sorry guys, I will better promote our sport in the future! But....

It got me thinking...

3 demerits for Gryffindor! :tongue_sm

Sometimes when opening or closing my 3 piece razor I think about where I am putting my hands - I know that the ends aren't as sharp as the edges but there aren't too many places on a razor where you can put too much pressure!

Hope it heals up and that it isn't giving you too much trouble.

When I'm done shaving I always take the blade out and wipe it on a towel before I dispose of it.

This one time I took out the blade, placed it on the towel and proceeded to rinse my face.

Eyes closed, I reached out and grabbed the towel to dry my face.

I grabbed a handful of towel, and a perfectly dry razor blade.

Luckily I was quick enough to realize my mistake so that i didn't clench the towel in a death grip.

The result was just a very small cut on my finger, so small it didn't even bleed.

I play guitar and given that it was my fretting hand, the first few seconds inspecting my hand and expecting the worst, was pure hell

I just cut my lip the other day shaving with my R41. Not just a cut, it was a nice clean slice. My new dog came into the bathroom and nudged me so I turned to look at her and caught myself.

It sealed up after some alum and a little bit of pinching the cut together - I don't think I could show up to work with a bandaid over my lip!

Just goes to show you that you can never get too comfortable with your gear. I tend to get comfortable, confidence, cocky, and then cut. Rinse and repeat.

I'm completely safe when I'm alone in the bathroom doing my thing. But this last weekend my parents were visiting and curious about some things, so I was showing my Dad some of my new acquisitions and demonstrating the TTO razor with a blade in it. I was showing him something about blade gaps, and all of a sudden I'm all butterfingers. No injuries, but my hands were shaking out of nervousness and I probably dropped either the razor or blade 2 or 3 different times. I know he was getting concerned watching me fumble the blade into the razor doors. A normally untroubled procedure turned into a hazard because I get anxious. I'm usually a "behind closed doors" shaver, and actually that goes for my whole bathroom routine. It drives my wife crazy, but what can I say? I would drop the toothpaste if my wife was watching!

It comes with the territory.

I have sharpened pocket and kitchen knives for decades. Most of my 1095 carbon blades I can get extremely sharp after honing and stropping with diamond slurry and bare leather.

You handle that much steel eventually it bites back. Same with razors. It's not "if" but rather "when/how bad".

For me, that's part of the appeal.

Regards.

Up early one day all lathered up, I picked up the razor not thinking aboiut it not being closed all the way. pulled it down under my sideburn about an inch along with a corresponding cut about the same...weeks later, I still have a light scar. Yep newbie minutes.

It comes with the territory.

I have sharpened pocket and kitchen knives for decades. Most of my 1095 carbon blades I can get extremely sharp after honing and stropping with diamond slurry and bare leather.

You handle that much steel eventually it bites back. Same with razors. It's not "if" but rather "when/how bad".

For me, that's part of the appeal.

Regards.
+1
I've been maintaining my own pocket knives since I was a kid, and my dad always told me that you didn't really own a blade until you've bled on it. I think all of my blades have bitten me at some point, except for a couple of my straights so far, but it's coming. [emoji6]

Back before I switched to DE shaving I used to cartridge shave in the shower. In one bathroom I had in college I had the mirror on the other side of the shower from the stream, so I would stand facing away from the stream showering. When necessary I would pass the razor into the stream behind me to rinse.

One day I was half asleep and as I passed the razor back I guess I ran the head sideways acrossed my upper leg hip area. Let's just say a cartridge razor can still do a lot of damage when not handled well!

Never a problem shaving but I nearly cut the tip of my thumb off on a tablesaw once. Pulled back before it got to the nail on the otherside. Thanks to the great surgeon at the ER you would never know. Except for the residual 1/8" wide transverse scar. Only hurt for a second. (That day)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom