What's new

Otto Roth Razor

I just purchased an Otto Roth OC razor. I haven't found a lot of info on the razor, does anyone have any knowledge of this razor? How does it shave? I would greatly appreciate any help.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Does it look like the Gillette NEW?

proxy.php

Gillette bought into Roth-Buchner in 1926, and it eventually became a high performing subsidiary, producing blades and razors in Germany. Gillette used the Otto Roth name in the U.S. in the 1930's and produced NEW-style razors branded as Otto Roth razors to claim some of the "non-Gillette" market. That stopped in 1939 when WWII started, and German brands became unfashionable, and Gillette just used the same production facility to produce NEW razors branded as Gillettes. The Nazi's appropriated (without compensation) the Gillette German Roth-Buchner facilities in the late 1930's. Gillette continued to own the name but just stopped using it for obvious reasons.

Gillette bought into Roth-Buchner in 1926, and it eventually became a high performing subsidiary, producing blades and razors in Germany. Gillette used the Otto Roth name in the U.S. in the 1930's and produced NEW-style razors branded as Otto Roth razors to claim some of the "non-Gillette" market. That stopped in 1939 when WWII started, and German brands became unfashionable, and Gillette just used the same production facility to produce NEW razors branded as Gillettes. The Nazi's appropriated (without compensation) the Gillette German Roth-Buchner facilities in the late 1930's. Gillette continued to own the name but just stopped using it for obvious reasons.
That is some great info, ty

Attachments

• 20170625_004104.jpg
    20170625_004104.jpg
    919.9 KB · Views: 16
That's a beauty. There were some "transitional" Otto Roth NEW models produced, where the base plate said "Otto Roth" but that engraving was struck through and a Gillette diamond-arrow logo was added.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That makes perfect sense. Great info.
Looks wonderful!

Hers a little bit more info from my past research

As part of Gillette's way of getting rid of competition razor makers, they would just buy them out and make them Gillette subsidiaries. In 1926 Gllette VP Fahey went to Berlin and bought a controlling interest in Roth Buchner a long time Gllette competitor. This merger also included New Jersey based Otto Roth.

In 1930 Gillette was taken over by Auto Strop owner Gaisman after a court battle and several other legal matters. Gaisman got rid of all Gillette top directors. He brought in 5 new VP's that had thier hands full with trying to get rid of Gillettes older razor/blade making machines. Auto strop had newer faster machines and he wanted them in his new Gillette company.

This updating of the machines took a while as the new Gillette owners had to settle in and also make new razors and better quality blades at the same time using the older machines . The organizing of this nature most likely extended a few years into the mid 1930's where i guess that the stamping of the Otto name must have stopped. Gaisman would most likely have updated the Gillette USA subsidiaries such as Otto Roth in NJ. Gaiman already had his newer machines in Rio De Janiero Brazil years before taking over Gillette.

Excellent history! Thanks for sharing!

Hers a little bit more info from my past research

As part of Gillette's way of getting rid of competition razor makers, they would just buy them out and make them Gillette subsidiaries. In 1926 Gllette VP Fahey went to Berlin and bought a controlling interest in Roth Buchner a long time Gllette competitor. This merger also included New Jersey based Otto Roth.

This updating of the machines took a while as the new Gillette owners had to settle in and also make new razors and better quality blades at the same time using the older machines . The organizing of this nature most likely extended a few years into the mid 1930's where i guess that the stamping of the Otto name must have stopped. Gaisman would most likely have updated the Gillette USA subsidiaries such as Otto Roth in NJ. Gaiman already had his newer machines in Rio De Janiero Brazil years before taking over Gillette.

Yes. This is all great stuff! Terrific to see unfettered capitalism at work!

The Otto Roth OC razor is a great shaver. While I don't use mine very frequently, when I do it's always a nice close shave. From all the great info on it, I will assume it's a clone of the Gillette New. Thanx for sharing your knowledge fellow shavers!!

Isn't there some debate over who came out with the design first, Gillette or Otto?

It is a great shaver. In fact I let someone borrow mine and it never came back....right @skypsyd :001_rolle.

Isn't there some debate over who came out with the design first, Gillette or Otto?

It is a great shaver. In fact I let someone borrow mine and it never came back....right @skypsyd :001_rolle.
indeed , but I remember you gave it to me, It mostly stands sentry now, but still is one of my most prized razors

Top Bottom