What's new

Otto Roth Razor

I'm bringing mine out right now for tomorrow! Detailed historical facts are much appreciated. Always something new to learn about the tools we use every day.

Hers a little bit more info from my past research

As part of Gillette's way of getting rid of competition razor makers, they would just buy them out and make them Gillette subsidiaries. In 1926 Gllette VP Fahey went to Berlin and bought a controlling interest in Roth Buchner a long time Gllette competitor. This merger also included New Jersey based Otto Roth.

In 1930 Gillette was taken over by Auto Strop owner Gaisman after a court battle and several other legal matters. Gaisman got rid of all Gillette top directors. He brought in 5 new VP's that had thier hands full with trying to get rid of Gillettes older razor/blade making machines. Auto strop had newer faster machines and he wanted them in his new Gillette company.

This updating of the machines took a while as the new Gillette owners had to settle in and also make new razors and better quality blades at the same time using the older machines . The organizing of this nature most likely extended a few years into the mid 1930's where i guess that the stamping of the Otto name must have stopped. Gaisman would most likely have updated the Gillette USA subsidiaries such as Otto Roth in NJ. Gaiman already had his newer machines in Rio De Janiero Brazil years before taking over Gillette.

Thank you for the great info

Hi folks, I have a couple of Otto Roth products here that I would like to share on this thread. They are Otto Roth branded razor blades. I was surprised to find the "new" style blades in the wild. I never had seen these before. Here's a couple of photos-

proxy.php

proxy.php

I hope you all find these blades interesting too. God Bless, and have a good night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, I have a couple of Otto Roth products here that I would like to share on this thread. They are Otto Roth branded razor blades. I was surprised to find the "new" style blades in the wild. I never had seen these before. Here's a couple of photos-

proxy.php

proxy.php

I hope you all find these blades interesting too. God Bless, and have a good night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gillette bought into NY based Rubie blades, they were lower end manufacturer but still a competitor that Gillette managed to neutralize.

The Otto Roth OC razor is a great shaver. While I don't use mine very frequently, when I do it's always a nice close shave. From all the great info on it, I will assume it's a clone of the Gillette New. Thanx for sharing your knowledge fellow shavers!!
It's similar but not cloned

That's a beauty. There were some "transitional" Otto Roth NEW models produced, where the base plate said "Otto Roth" but that engraving was struck through and a Gillette diamond-arrow logo was added.
Yes, Gillette new owner Gaisman was in process of updating machinery and many leftover razors existed so various stamping was improvised on the leftover products

Gillette bought into NY based Rubie blades, they were lower end manufacturer but still a competitor that Gillette managed to neutralize.

Exactly so. Gillette used Rubie to sell lower cost blades and its own "seconds" that didn't pass QC in Boston. As with Otto Roth, Gillette was conscious of the market for "non-Gillette" products at different price points and sought to satisfy it with different brands.

Exactly so. Gillette used Rubie to sell lower cost blades and its own "seconds" that didn't pass QC in Boston. As with Otto Roth, Gillette was conscious of the market for "non-Gillette" products at different price points and sought to satisfy it with different brands.
Very good extra info, I see you been researching.

Top Bottom