What's new

Otto Fromm 50 Redhead Help

Sorry, I posted this in "Restoration" and do not know how to move it.

A friend of mine sold this to me for $20. He picked it up 20 or so years ago in Germany and tried it once and scared himself. There is some pitting, corrosion, and the edge is a bit rough. (see pics) I'm looking for some help.

1. Was this a good deal for $20?
2. Appx. age? I read in another forum that Redheads with the red badge may be a bit older.
3. I would like to get this cleaned up and sharpened. Any restoration recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
fullsizeoutput_10c9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_10ca.jpeg
%oIgnytzSWiZvC8O%n3QsA.jpg
fullsizeoutput_10cd.jpeg
JJPtiI%JSvSKnlkYPDlT4A.jpg
vetZ3TWzTRan7sfJs%x7sg.jpg
HbJ%Hp8WROCqVlMGr1oupw.jpg
fullsizeoutput_10cb.jpeg

Attachments

• 09Wxh6x6SiWa9dOeUAN0OA.jpg
    09Wxh6x6SiWa9dOeUAN0OA.jpg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 9
Where are you located? Sometimes there is a member in your area that can help you out. If you were in the central NJ area, I could clean it up and hone it for you while you wait. Older Fromms like this are pretty decent razors. New ones not so much.

Where are you located? Sometimes there is a member in your area that can help you out. If you were in the central NJ area, I could clean it up and hone it for you while you wait. Older Fromms like this are pretty decent razors. New ones not so much.

I'm in Florida.

That's a sweet blade. I think you got a good deal on it. Looks like it's gonna be a good shaver just polish and get it honed. Good luck

The corrosion does not seem bad.
If you have a buffing wheel and some chromium oxide, you could easily give it a like new luster.
Alternatively, you can just get the finer sand paper you can get at a Hardware store (400 to 800 preferably) and just sand down the blade wherever there is corrosion. You can start with some 200 and then buff it with the finer one after.

Then honing of course.

Beautiful razor. I suggest contacting Glen at Gemstar Razors for honing and any restoration needs. He can not only do restorations, but he is honest in his business dealings.

And Doc226 (Doc226.com to see his work) also does fine work too. He’s done some of mine, and I don’t have any experience with Gemstar to counter or compair the two.

That looks an easy clean up, but I’d de-pin (remove the blade from the scales, then put a new pin in) it to clean whatever is there around the pivot pin myself.

If you’re a new to straights shaver, I’d personally send out the blade for restoration and honing. You’ll have a known good product to start your experience with. I also think that blade is too good to mess up with your possible inexperience.

And you stole it for $20.

Hi Apster,
Could you show me how to hone a straight razor, for a fee of course. I'm in central Jersey.
Thank you!

Top Bottom