What's new

Other uses for diamond paste

Hi all - I'm finally resigned to biting the bullet, buying diamond pastes and supplementing my lapping film with some Method-compliant balsa strops to replace my current crox/cotton hanging strop finish. It got me thinking - does anyone use these pastes for polishing when doing razor refurbs? If so, how?

I was thinking I might try 1 micron paste on a microfibre cloth to tackle stubborn stains, but if this a silly idea I'd rather know now than when I've tried it...

I used green pastes on homemade paddle strops for kitchen and hunting knives. I never knew a piece of belt glued to a board was called a paddle strop before Badger and Blade :thumbsup:

I think Slash has used them for razor polishing up to silly mirror shine levels. I’ve done it a couple times with .5 CBN, with little appearant change. I guess most of the serious work happens at lower grit levels, through a good progression that removes previous grit scratches.

Thanks - I actually meant to come back on this. I ended up buying a cheapo set of 7 diamond pastes from the 'bay. Half were too sizeable for balsa hones, but buying the set was the cheapest way to get what I needed. So I've put the larger sizes to use - 3.5 - 1.5 micron.

It's been a useful experiment - certainly I found that they do shift some pretty stubborn stains which I'd not managed previously. But I haven't found it a fast process by hand. I think I probably need to pick up a dremel and have a go with them on a polisher. Not sure I'd use them as a first choice but when the set of 7 pastes costs £8, it makes pretty good sense!

Top Bottom