What's new

Other Than Razors, What Have You Shaved With?

Thread title says it all.
I like to experiment. Everything from glass to obsidian, to flame-hardened plastic, to DE blades glued to a piece of straw. Not a plastic drinking straw; a long piece of dried grass.

You?

Hmmm...nope, though I always thought it might be interesting to try shaving with a knife. I've read about people in the old west who would shave with a knife blade, and wondered if it was really possible, or if you would just butcher your face. I suppose there's a good reason that so many of them were bearded.

There are so many different kinds of razors for me to try first...thankfully!

The other day, Youtube's algorithm (in all its wisdom) presented me with a video of a man shaving off his bear with an axe. But it was already past my bedtime, so I didn't watch it. Now I'm trying to remember . . . was it a how-to video? Was he just showing off? CGI special effects?

video of a man shaving off his bear with an axe

Now I really want to shave a bear. Sedated of course. Zoo vets must have to do that on occasion.

I just shaved off a lot of beard two days ago, but used a DE razor.

I doubt I could hit BBS with an axe, either my face or a wild animal. For reference, my sharpest knife honing might cut a little hair, but is nowhere near razor sharp.

@SharpieB has some nice soap!

Well, I did shave once with a women’s eyebrow shaper. It didn’t go well.
82EBAA23-9062-4FA6-8593-53F1666E5D91.jpeg

I've touched up a shave at work with a pocket knife on a few occasions. I'm only talking about stray patches that I may have missed in the morning, not full-on bowie knife wilderness shaves. I don't quite keep my edges as sharp as I used to but when I was really into laser sharp EDC knives I'd take the edge refinement into straight razor territory.

Ever whittled a hair plucked from your head with a pocket knife like the old cartoons? I didn't think that was real until I got my technique dialed in and demonstrated it under good lighting one night.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've touched up a shave at work with a pocket knife on a few occasions. I'm only talking about stray patches that I may have missed in the morning, not full-on bowie knife wilderness shaves. I don't quite keep my edges as sharp as I used to but when I was really into laser sharp EDC knives I'd take the edge refinement into straight razor territory.

Ever whittled a hair plucked from your head with a pocket knife like the old cartoons? I didn't think that was real until I got my technique dialed in and demonstrated it under good lighting one night.
My brother shaved off his beard with a knife one. Four inch custom Scandinavian grind that was highly sharpened.
My dad loved a sharp pocket knife. I have no doubt a man could shave with his pocket knives. I too have knock off a few stray hairs with a pocket knife, but only at work because I could see a patch I missed in a rush or something...

Top Bottom