What's new

Other Brands to Try

Hey all -

As I have tried more and more products, I've found a few that really are a joy to use. That said, would like to try a few others. My top stuff comes from:

- Trufitt & Hill
- SV
- MDC
- Crown Shaving Co.
- ABC

I've tried a lot of the other well-known brands like Ariana & Evans, B&M, Taylor of Old Bond Street, etc.

What haven't I considered? Castle Forbes is one I am considering experimenting with. . .

What else?

I've used TOBS, Proraso, Williams, Arko, MdC, Stirling, Dr Selby, PdP, Razorock, Spieck, Old Spice (current version - cream), Captain's Choice, Trumper's, and settled on a few favorites.

I bought some Razorock xXx on sale and it has become one of my favorites. It's an inexpensive soap that lathers well and smells terrific.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the Spieck stick. Great face lather, fantastic scent.

You listed one of my faves: MdC. My other two are the Razorock and Stirling, both of which perform very well and won't break the bank. I favor the Barbershop and Pharoah's Dreamsicle scents from Stirling, but there are many more I would like to try.

You may also want to check out the soap/cream forum for some ideas.

You mean soap and aftershave?

Some of the ones I like most are Razorock (Santa Maria del Fiore, XXX), Chiseled Face (Summer Storm, Ghost Town Barber), Grooming Dept. (always new ones coming out), Southern Witchcrafts (Necromantic, Desairology, Tres Matres), Noble Otter (Rawr, Orbit), Mammoth Soap (Tobacconist, Fu Dao), Macduffs (Lilacs in Bloom, Summer Cabin), Ethos, Oaken Lab, Fitjar Islands.

And of course Acqua di Parma shaving cream and post shave products are wonderful. All in the Colonia scent, which is the best smell in the world.

My under the radar tip is Kaliflower from Sweden. Tjära is my favourite (real pine tar scent). Amazingly creamy-lathering vegan shave soap.

Some of the ones I like most are Razorock (Santa Maria del Fiore, XXX), Chiseled Face (Summer Storm, Ghost Town Barber), Grooming Dept. (always new ones coming out), Southern Witchcrafts (Necromantic, Desairology, Tres Matres), Noble Otter (Rawr, Orbit), Mammoth Soap (Tobacconist, Fu Dao), Macduffs (Lilacs in Bloom, Summer Cabin), Ethos, Oaken Lab, Fitjar Islands.

And of course Acqua di Parma shaving cream and post shave products are wonderful. All in the Colonia scent, which is the best smell in the world.

My under the radar tip is Kaliflower from Sweden. Tjära is my favourite (real pine tar scent). Amazingly creamy-lathering vegan shave soap.
Seen the name Ethos written a lot and the site looks like there's some fun stuff. Any soaps you recommend from them?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
You could try Lothur V2 base Soaps. Really easy to lather and plenty of slickness.

I only have the Tears scent but it's but it's a very nice and bright cologne smell.

Also grabbed a handful of things from the Swedish place :)

Also grabbed a handful of things from the Swedish place :)
Cool. Kaliflower is my favourite soap, and all (both?) the scents are great. Nobody knows about it. It’s made by a nice lady, Maria, somewhere in the Swedish countryside. The pine tar scent is real pine tar, and this is hard to get because it isn’t really allowed. But the scent, if you like this sort of thing, is fantastic and it goes well with any aftershave.

Cool. Kaliflower is my favourite soap, and all (both?) the scents are great. Nobody knows about it. It’s made by a nice lady, Maria, somewhere in the Swedish countryside. The pine tar scent is real pine tar, and this is hard to get because it isn’t really allowed. But the scent, if you like this sort of thing, is fantastic and it goes well with any aftershave.
Yeah, grabbed that one as well as some hair and beard stuff.

Like others, I highly recommend Southern Witchcrafts and Stirling soaps. Both are great performers. SW has some of the most unique and complex scents and Stirling surely has a scent you would like.
Some wacky stuff. Not gonna lie, the banana one is super tempting just because it doesn’t seem comparable to anything else in the cabinet.

Some wacky stuff. Not gonna lie, the banana one is super tempting just because it doesn’t seem comparable to anything else in the cabinet.

Indeed. And what you smell is often more complex and good than the description. For instance, I thought I would not like Samhain based on what they said. But it is one of my faves, it is amazing, but I am not sure I could even describe it. One of those ones you go back into the bathroom to smell it later in the day.

Plus their base is both super slick, great residual slickness, and washes off well. I really like their stuff, as you can tell.

Indeed. And what you smell is often more complex and good than the description. For instance, I thought I would not like Samhain based on what they said. But it is one of my faves, it is amazing, but I am not sure I could even describe it. One of those ones you go back into the bathroom to smell it later in the day.

Plus their base is both super slick, great residual slickness, and washes off well. I really like their stuff, as you can tell.
That one looks interesting too!
I find different scents appealing. No disrespect to other brands, but I can’t imagine I’m gonna like another vetyver-like scent more than MDC or an almond scent more than ABC, etc. Because one of my favorite parts of this hobby is the different experiences, it’s nice to see “out there” stuff. May actually order some samples from their site for this company rather than jumping into a tub or bottle… too much to explore.

I highly recommend getting some of their samplers. I recently did and even included Valley of Ashes, I had to smell it. I wouldn't want a tub of it, but it is much more interesting than I expected.

I see you like the Crown shaving cream so I will recommend Saint James of London, all are excellent creams and highly underrated IMO.

Top Bottom