What's new

Ostrich Boot Care?

Thanks for the additional info!

I have never owned cowboy style boots. I have had multiple pairs of lace up hiking boots. This new pair would be for casual dress occasions, not for working outside.

The only other question that I can think of at the moment is something I read online re the leather sole that Tecova uses -- the advice was "unless you are going to use the boots for dancing" (which I'm not), break the boots in for a couple of months and then take them to a shoe store for installation of a Vibram half sole. Do you do that with your boots?

Thanks for the additional info!

I have never owned cowboy style boots. I have had multiple pairs of lace up hiking boots. This new pair would be for casual dress occasions, not for working outside.

The only other question that I can think of at the moment is something I read online re the leather sole that Tecova uses -- the advice was "unless you are going to use the boots for dancing" (which I'm not), break the boots in for a couple of months and then take them to a shoe store for installation of a Vibram half sole. Do you do that with your boots?

Yep, NP!

I also have hiking boots, but there's no comparison between hiking boots and cowboy boots.

To answer your question re: the soles Tecovas uses, yes -- they are extremely smooth when you receive them. When walking on carpet while making sure they fit right, you'll slip around and it's hard to get any traction because of how smooth the soles are. After I was sure I was going to keep them, I walked on concrete/asphalt and basically shuffled my feet to scuff up the soles. Now when I walk on carpet, they don't slide any more. I did not add anything to the soles of any of my Tecovas boots. Walking on non-smooth surfaces for a bit worked for me. I also don't wear my boots for dancing. It does not take a couple of months to break-in Tecovas boots because of how soft the leather is and the thickness of the soles.

Few things to consider... since these would be your first pair of cowboy boots, I think it depends on if your plan is for these boots to be a replacement for your current dress/casual shoes or in addition to them. If it's raining or snowing, as I stated before, I do not wear my ostrich or my other exotic boots. Then again, I have plenty other boots to chose from. Maybe some guys do wear them if it's raining, but I don't. Also, ostrich boots like other exotic boots, definitely attract attention whereas cowhide and other leathers do not as much. So if you live in an area where guys wearing cowboys boots is not the norm, they definitely will draw a lot of attention. If you're a confident guy, great -- but if not, they may end up sitting in your closet. If you decide to get them, you may end up really liking them. I wear boots almost everyday and I absolutely love them. I know guys who have said they would never wear cowboy boots. My guess is they have never owned a pair and may have never tried on a pair. IMO that's unfortunate, but true.

Again, if you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck!

The sole of a good cowboy boot is not very different than what you'd find on a nice dress shoe. Once they are worn for a bit, they are less slippery. I've worn boots since I was 10 and never had to have anything special added to the soles.

My ostrich boots are well over 15 years old and might get conditioned once a year. While not work boots, they are very durable.

Since you have had your ostrich boots for a long time, have you ever worn them when rain was forecasted? Just wondering... Thanks.

Yep. Not any different than my cowhide boots.

Have you noticed if the ostrich leather tends to stain more or more easily than the cowhide when it gets wet?

Do you apply any kind of water repellant to your ostrich (or cowhide) boots?

Thanks!

photo (8).JPG

I've only conditioned them. No need to add a repellent as they are very similar to cowhide as far as getting them wet. No staining, but then again, mine have always been either brown or black.

Last edited:
[]
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved  Images_images(7).jpg
View attachment 970721
I've only conditioned them. No need to add a repellent as they are very similar to cowhide as far as getting them wet. No staining, but then again, mine have always been either brown or black.

Nice lookin' ostrich, Prince! Not that I need another pair of boots, but wouldn't mind adding these to my collection. They have a different toe and heel and they're a different color than my other ostrich boots I already own...

Last edited:
View attachment 970721

Good info, thanks! Dark brown is what I am looking at and so it sounds like that may work well.

Top Bottom