What's new

Ostrich Boot Care?

I've always liked the look of ostrich boots and am considering buying my first pair. After doing a little research I have some questions/concerns and would appreciate input.

The manufacturer (Tecova) recommends applying conditioner monthly. That is a schedule that I'm very unlikely to keep up with. Is that frequency really necessary?

On another seller's website, there were cautions about getting ostrich wet and tips on how to try to dry it if wet to prevent stains. I've gotten drops of water on footwear made of cow leather many times with no concern or lasting damage. Is ostrich that delicate? Is there some kind of repellant that can be applied to ostrich to keep water out of the leather?

I'm left with the impression that while ostrich is expensive it is also rather delicate and high maintenance thus I'm having 2nd thoughts about my purchase.

Am I off base?

I'm looking at Tecovas boots as well. Per my best friend who has over 30 pair said his Ostrich boots are more for everyday and dress vs work boot. He works the farm in Kangaroo boots.

I've had a pair for over 10 years. I've only dusted them off with a cloth. I don't wear them if the weather is bad and only for office days.

Thanks! I wouldn't be using them as work boots, but also wouldn't want to have to check the weather forecast every time I put them on.

Thanks, I didn't know that Lexol could be used instead of one of the specific "exotic skin" products.

Thanks! I wouldn't be using them as work boots, but also wouldn't want to have to check the weather forecast every time I put them on.

I have three pairs of ostrich boots -- see below. The pair on the left are Tony Lamas and are about 20 years old. The other two pairs are Tecovas and are about 2 years old at best. I only condition them about once a year because they are not my everyday boots, but all of my boots have boot trees in them when not being worn. I never wear any of my exotic skin boots in the winter because I have cowhide boots that can handle winter conditions much better. Also, I never wear them if rain is forecasted because again, I have other boots I can wear. Not sure if rain would damage the skin because I've never worn mine in the rain. Ostrich boots are extremely comfortable. However, that's not to say my other cowhide casual or work boots aren't. Just depends on how often you wear boots and how broken-in they are. If these will be your first pair of boots, I'd suggest a pair of cowhide. But if these will be in addition to other boots you already own, I'd go for it, but still would check the forecast before wearing them. They'll last longer that way. Good luck with your decision...

Ost bts.jpg

My ostrich boots are well over 15 years old and might get conditioned once a year. While not work boots, they are very durable.

20190319_161825.jpg

I've been using Scout Exotic Boot Care for my custom Lucchese Full Quill Ostrich and Lizard boots for many years. Boots look, feel and fit great!

I have three pairs of ostrich boots -- see below. The pair on the left are Tony Lamas and are about 20 years old. The other two pairs are Tecovas and are about 2 years old at best. I only condition them about once a year because they are not my everyday boots, but all of my boots have boot trees in them when not being worn. I never wear any of my exotic skin boots in the winter because I have cowhide boots that can handle winter conditions much better. Also, I never wear them if rain is forecasted because again, I have other boots I can wear. Not sure if rain would damage the skin because I've never worn mine in the rain. Ostrich boots are extremely comfortable. However, that's not to say my other cowhide casual or work boots aren't. Just depends on how often you wear boots and how broken-in they are. If these will be your first pair of boots, I'd suggest a pair of cowhide. But if these will be in addition to other boots you already own, I'd go for it, but still would check the forecast before wearing them. They'll last longer that way. Good luck with your decision...

View attachment 964135
Cool boots.

Thanks, all, for the additional input!

carharttguy, those are great looking boots! The center pair is the color I'm considering. Given your experience, I'd like to ask a couple more questions:

1) It sounds like the main reason to buy ostrich is the look, ie they don't have a significant advantage as far as comfort, durability, etc. Correct?

2) Do you have any tips on fit? I have not owned this type of boot so I'm not going to be able to assess the fit from experience, and I've read some conflicting stuff on the www. Plus I'm used to brick and mortar where one can try on 3 or 4 or whatever different sizes in one sitting.

Thanks, all, for the additional input!

carharttguy, those are great looking boots! The center pair is the color I'm considering. Given your experience, I'd like to ask a couple more questions:

1) It sounds like the main reason to buy ostrich is the look, ie they don't have a significant advantage as far as comfort, durability, etc. Correct?

2) Do you have any tips on fit? I have not owned this type of boot so I'm not going to be able to assess the fit from experience, and I've read some conflicting stuff on the www. Plus I'm used to brick and mortar where one can try on 3 or 4 or whatever different sizes in one sitting.

Thank you for the compliment, tm3! The center boots are chocolate. Bought them, but then really liked the other color (pecan). The pecan shows the quill follicles better IMO.

Now to answer your questions...
1) IMO, buy ostrich boots if want a pair of exotic boots, want boots that require no break-in period, or plan to keep them as dress/nice casual boots, etc. I would say ostrich is durable, but sort of delicate at the same time.

2) Regarding fit, hard to say and here's why. I only have two brands of ostrich boots so it's possible some of brands of ostrich boots may fit differently. When you said you haven't owned this type of boot, do you mean an exotic boot or any cowboy boots? If you decide to buy Tecovas, the cool thing about them is shipping is free both ways -- purchases and returns. That's not the case with other online companies and Tecovas doesn't charge a restocking fee. In addition to my Tecovas boots, I have purchased other boots online, but my preference is to buy local when I can because as you mentioned. I like to try the boots on to see how they feel and what size fits best. I've found within the same brand, different styles fit differently with regard to the size. Depending on how wide your foot is, I've also found that a wide toe boot that's the same size and brand as my other boots feels too big, but thicker socks solves that problem.
Depending on where you plan on wearing your boots or how you plan on using them, you should consider this as well. For example, when I'm working with horses, doing anything more rugged, or if there's bad weather, I would never wear my ostrich or my other exotic boots.
Hope this helps. Happy to answer other questions if you have any. If not, good luck with your decision.

Top Bottom