What's new

Oster Model 10 and accessories Questions

I have an old Oster Model 10 that I got new about 35 years ago. I used it about 5 minutes a week between regular haircuts to trim over my ears because my hair grows very fast, and staying within the grooming regulations in the Navy required that I do something at least weekly if not more often.

I really doubt it has more than 20 hours of total run time on the motor, and until this week it's mostly been in storage for the past 30 years. I did not, however, care for it fastidiously like a barber would have. I just used it and oiled the blade occasionally.

When I got it out and started it the first time it ran OK, but it would take several seconds to get up to running speed. So I bought some grease, and blade wash, and blade oil. I've lubed the gearbox under the cover, and that looks pretty reasonable.

I ran my blade in blade wash, then lubed it.

Somewhere I lost the #1 blade, so I bought a used one from the bay. Looking at it, it seems in decent shape, but it came with hair in it, and I want to sterilize it before I use it myself. Is blade wash a sterilizer? It doesn't look like it. Can I just use alcohol? I don't think I want to boil it. (Or maybe that doesn't matter, IDK.)

Anyhow, now that it's all lubed up, it still takes a longer time to rev up to speed than I remember. Can the brushes "go bad" just sitting in a box? Can I clean them, or must they be replaced? Or am I barking up the wrong tree about the brushes?

Any advice is appreciated. I'd like to start using these again, pretty much like before. Probably every other week, between regular haircuts, for a touch-up trim.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but when in doubt, take the trimmer in for a service. Check the Oster website for a list of authorized service centers. Come to think of it, mine's probably due for one, too. I notice it takes a few seconds to get up to speed, and seemed to actually get worse after I greased the gearbox.

It should take about 5 or 6 seconds to get up to speed.If it's taking longer you may have corrosion on the brushes or contacts,this type of repair at a shop is fairly cheap.Used blades are not a good idea,new ones are about $25...Take the blade completely apart.If you have no Barbicide or Mar-V-Cide just scrub all parts with the blade wash,it will kill anything on there.Rinse in 90% isopropyl alcohol,then oil all parts up with clipper oil.The blade is used,it could need a sharpening.Disc sharpening is the best for clipper blades.Do not get rid of that Model 10,it's a legend,and can be completely rebuilt to new specs if need be.Keep us posted on your progress....

I was looking for brushes, and they're quite east to find for a Model 76, but not so for the Model 10. However the differences between seem almost cosmetic. Are they interchangeable? Or should I dig deeper?

Shoot these guys an email ,I'm sure they will know...maybe enclose a photo of your brushes and clipper faceplate as well...http://brucessharpening.com/id81.html

Thanks a million. Email is on the way.

Actually they have a plethora of information there, and my clippers are back up to performance now. What I didn't know about was the front and rear bearing lubrication ports. A drop of blade oil in each port, and within a few seconds they were back up to normal.

The brushes, I have learned in this search, changed in 1985. Apparently all universal motor commutator brushes since 1985 have been the same part number. I don't know if all pre-1985 brushes were similarly a common part number as well, but I suspect so.

Regardless, my clippers are pre-1985. So I need to find old brushes somewhere just in case. The new brushes apparently do not fit properly.

MB

Top Bottom