What's new

Oster 76 advice

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I finally broke down and bought an Oster 76 with a set of plastic guides. It is on its way as I write. But I have no idea how to use it and in my mind's eye I see disaster. Or at least ugliness. At the barber shop I get a #3 clip on the sides and back and an inch or so longer on the top. Right now, however, my hair on top is about 6-7 inches long and on the sides it covers my ears. My plan is to try to take the whole thing down to about a #3 for my first cut. But as I said I have no idea what I'm doing or how to proceed. I've watched a couple videos but to be honest they just made me feel more inept. Guys who make videos have been cutting their own hair for years.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

The Oster 76 is designed to be a "bulk cutting" clipper in barber shops. The design allows for interchangeable blades of different lengths. Guide combs are seldom used with it. The idea is to remove all the excess length of hair before doing detailed cutting with other tools.

Hair longer than a #5 or so is usually cut with scissors. It is difficult to get an even cut with clippers for longer hair. Blending the longer top with the sides is usually done with scissors-over-fingers, scissors-over-comb or clipper-over-comb techniques.

You will need a good pair of hair cutting scissors (shears), a barber's comb, a hand mirror and s spray bottle of water. You will probably want an electric trimmer to do the edges of your haircut. You may want thinning shears.

Cutting with shears, you can give your hair more style. Cutting with clippers merely follows the shape of the head. Hair cut with scissors tends to grow out nicer and look better longer.

Owen Bawn

Thanks. At this point I'm aiming at getting it all the same length, somewhere between a half an inch and an inch and a half in length. I'll worry about fades and such after I get comfortable with the equipment.

Thanks. At this point I'm aiming at getting it all the same length, somewhere between a half an inch and an inch and a half in length. I'll worry about fades and such after I get comfortable with the equipment.
The easiest haircut you can do is one length all over #2 or #3 (buzz cut). 2nd easiest would be #2 or #3 on sides and back, with a longer clipper guard, like #5 on top (burr cut). Cutting hair longer than #6 with clippers is rarely done.

Your hair will look better with a longer length on top cut with scissors, and blended to the shorter hair on sides and back, though.

You bought the best, you'll really enjoy it over the decades. As brushes or switches wear out they are easily replaced.... Guides can be a cheap way from having to buy half a dozen blades.I see no mention of a trimmer , so if you want to save $$ you can get an Oster 0000 blade. although I use an Andis 00000 blade on mine, most Andis blades will fit just fine on the Classic 76 or 97 . I do have an Andis trimmer as well , I like the tight cutting head, whereas the T-Outliner is too wide for my tastes. Keep watching those tutorials, it takes awhile to sink in !...Enjoy the trims !

Attachments

• ost4.jpg
    ost4.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 74
  • ost1.jpg
    ost1.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 69
  • ost2.jpg
    ost2.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 68
  • ost.jpg
    ost.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 69
  • ost44.jpg
    ost44.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 71

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been cutting my hair with my Oster Fast Feed since March. The first couple haircuts will be a learning experience, but you'll find what works for you relatively quickly.

I considered the 76 but the lack of a taper lever and the weight threw me off.

Owen Bawn

Well, I tried it. I did my whole head with a #4 guide, then did the sides and back with a #3, and finally around my ears and the back of my neck with a #2. It isn't even, but I can tell that after 3 or 4 cuts I'll be pretty good at it. I've actually paid for haircuts that are worse than this one. I hadn't had a haircut since March, so I took off a lot of hair. I did it outside to minimize the mess. It took an hour to get it as good as it is.

Thanks to all who replied in the thread.

Well, I tried it. I did my whole head with a #4 guide, then did the sides and back with a #3, and finally around my ears and the back of my neck with a #2. It isn't even, but I can tell that after 3 or 4 cuts I'll be pretty good at it. I've actually paid for haircuts that are worse than this one. I hadn't had a haircut since March, so I took off a lot of hair. I did it outside to minimize the mess. It took an hour to get it as good as it is.

Thanks to all who replied in the thread.
Congratulations on trying to cut your own hair. You can use a barber's comb with the clippers to blend the different lengths together. This is the clipper-over-comb technique that takes a little practice, but it's not too difficult.

Top Bottom