What's new

Osmiroid Fountain Pen Find

It was stuck back in a desk drawer. Dimly remember buying at a clearance somewhere when the Sheaffer "school" fountain pens were no longer available. Wasn't happy with it for some reason, and shoved it back. It might have been from a leak at the nip, from the looks of it. It's red, with a medium gold tone nib.

The odd thing in the cartridge, though now I'm not sure that it's one. It's gold color, with "England" on the side, likely the point of manufacture. I bought a glass medicine dropper with plans to fill it. But while cleaning it out, discovered that the barrel is flexible. Maybe some sort of squeeze converter?

In any event, both nib and possible converter are soaking in plain water now.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What do the kids say nowadays? Pics or it didn't happen!

One neat thing about some of the Osmiroids is that the nib unit screws out and fits Esterbrooks.

proxy.php

I am excited to hear about your progress in rejuvenating it. Please post pictures when you can.

I don't know if I can clean it out. The ink seems strangely resistant to dissolving, and I hope I didn't use an India ink to fill it. Added some Rapidograph cleaning solution to it, and letting it soak some more.

Will see about pictures.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yeah, post pics! Cool find. Like Nemo said, you could see if the nibs fit in an old Esterbrook.

Update:

The Rapido-Eze is dissolving the ink. Using a squeeze bulb, managed to force some water, then water/Rapido-Eze through it. That may be a good sign. This looks like it will require an extended soak.

After the first Rapido-Eze soak, the ink wiped off the nip, revealing the following:

Osmiroid
Polatip
Medium
Soft
England

Despite the gold tone of the nip, the barrel and cap are on the cheap side. Pretty sure this isn't a high-end pen.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I found a Blue Osmiroid fountain pen that I bought somewhere very cheaply years ago. I had forgotten about it. It took quite a few soaks to get all the dried ink out of the pen. The actual lid was stuck on from leaking ink so it took some pressure to get it off. I got it clean in the end but I have not used it yet. Just wondering if Osmiroids were cheap pens or not?

Just wondering if Osmiroids were cheap pens or not?
My wife used to do some calligraphy for a hobby, and some of her pens were Osmiroids, which came with a set of italic nibs. I don't recall them being particularly expensive. I think we still have one around. She eventually switched to Rotring.

I was going to report a monumental fail. After soaking overnight, there was plenty of ink in solution, but I could no longer force water through the nib with the squeeze bulb. But while assembling for the photos, I noticed the squeeze converter made a slight hiss through the nib itself, so will be trying that instead.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yeah, that's a later model than the ones with removable nib units ... nice pen though.
Keep soaking with the Kooh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze as many of those art and technical drawing inks can be really stubborn.
You want to be able to freely move water through the nib/feed at some point. You're on the right track!

Top Bottom