What's new

Osma Alum Block

Picked up an Osma Alum Block and man what a difference a decent alum block actually makes. I've been using the omega travel alum stick which is awful. The case shattered and disintegrated for no reason and the stick itself actually disolved out of the tube holder anyways so it just became a rough block. From my understanding, the omega alum stick is made by compressing alum powder or crystals into the stick form but the osma block is made by cutting a piece from a larger block and sanding it down into size. Its literally like rubbing smooth glass across my face. I also find that I don't get any leftover alum crystals on my face. Much easier to apply and will probably last a lot longer. Its much heavier and more solid than the omega stick. I typically don't use alum, but I've been finding my skin needs some extra astringing for the past few months. You guys should've told me that there are different quality alum products! Especially considering the omega and the osma block are priced the same.

That block of Osma alum is like a gem. But like @Rhody, I dropped and shattered mine. Replaced it with a $2 block from my local Indian market. Big difference in appearance and quality, no difference in how it performed.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Works great, get the natural crystal version, it’s easily identified as clear with ‘lines’ vs consistently translucent.

I don't have the Osma but i do have a Gentleman Jon block that i like and use once in a while. I would use Alum more often but im concerned about health issues with taking aluminum in through the skin. Is that concern valid or am i worried about nothing.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't have the Osma but i do have a Gentleman Jon block that i like and use once in a while. I would use Alum more often but im concerned about health issues with taking aluminum in through the skin. Is that concern valid or am i worried about nothing.
I've used both Osma and the Gentleman Jon as well as others I've forgotten. They seem to work comparably for me, regrettably none has ever survived a drop in the sink or to the tile floor. I use it pre-shave on my fingers, post shave on the face before any AS products, and yes as a deodorant. Last time I needed some (due to dropping its predecessor) the Gentleman Jon was cheaper .. I don't use the included box but store my block on a soap rack open to air drying where it lasts for as long as it takes me to drop it ..

I tried alum block, but thought it irritated my skin. I recently bought a Edwin jagger one. It's very smooth and shiny.. very smooth as it glides over my face just shaved. No irritation at all. Feels good.

Osma for me too. All others I've tried get gritty after a while. Osma is as smooth as glass from new to a sliver, use every shave.

Same here. Went from Omega to Osma.

My Omega stick developed a little crack on the top and as I kept using it it got bigger. Turns out the Omega stick was hollow like a geode. A whole little world in there.

The Osma tastes better too.
I too had a similar experience with Omega. It wasn't exactly a geode, but halfway down there was a small hollow with some black grit in it.

I haven't tried OSMA. I have Barbero. It has lasted quite a while and provides quality coverage and slickness. Fortunately, I haven't dropped it but I learned early on to keep the block and my hands dry when using it, keeping my face wet after washing it when the last shaving pass s completed. (I doubt that is any kind of revelation to many on here. lol)

I've wrapped 3 or 4 layers of narrow masking tape around the bottom of my Alum block to create a ridge.
It really helps to improve grip.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the alum from Italian Barber, the little Razo Rock one. Seems to be the same price per ounce as the rest of the alum choices. It comes in its own container. The lid pops off and you can hold it by the base. It's very easy and convenient to use.

Osma was my favorite block until I got tired of the residue in the bottom of my cabinet. Then I tried keeping the block in the box, but that got annoying. Then I tried putting it on a little plate, but that took up too much space.

Now I use a small RazoRock alum stick that looks pretty much like the Omega. So I kind of went the opposite way.

Top Bottom