What's new

Osborn & Sons Seven Day Set

Gents,

These were purchased off of eBay on a bit of a whim, and I really won’t know what I have until they arrive next week. There just is nothing that I could find on the shave forums related to this brand. Aside from another member who showed interest in this set earlier in AUG.

My guess was that these were in Sheffield, England during a time when the sun never set on the British Empire, and that the scales are authentic ivory based off of the pictures. I surmised that they would not make a seven day set back in the day that was junk, and they certainly would not put a junk set in a nice wooden box. That was pretty much all I was going off of when I purchased these since I could not find any other information. These were the sellers pictures:

15473A69-7AF2-4E72-BEDA-04890E3C3E90.png
72B3C14B-6A8E-42BB-B990-F1090A002204.png
D0E26336-5E50-4FCE-A716-68F81F1344EE.png
FA19744A-F950-46AC-8C98-58869DD54DD6.jpeg
29A40512-F194-4698-8B90-5BCBDFB456AD.jpeg

Last night after I purchased these, boredom and curiosity got the best of me, and below is what I found during the deep dive.

Last edited:
According to this site, Osborn & Sons - https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=o&kel=1587 , here is the family story of this manufacturer:

“This company was based in Sheffield and Birmingham between the 1830s and 1860s – though Osborn companies operated at these locations at an earlier date. The family linkages are difficult to unravel, not least because directories used ‘Osborn’ and ‘Osborne’ interchangeably. But Philip Osborn (c.1770-1833) was listed in directories between 1816 and 1822 as a pen and pocket knife manufacturer in Carver Street. (Osborn, Baggaly & Co in Carver Street in 1811 may also be relevant.) Philip apparently developed connections in Birmingham (where he probably lived) and Liverpool. Between 1825 and 1828, Peter Osborn & Son was trading in Carver Street (with no Philip listed). Perhaps Peter was Philip’s son. In 1830, Osborn & Son’s cutlery warehouse in Birmingham was praised for elevating the beauty and excellence of the thoroughfare of Bennett’s Hill. Osborn’s entry in The History, Topography and Directory of Warwickshire was accompanied by a full-page advertisement (West, 1830).

Philip Osborn died, aged 63, on 20 February 1833 at the home of his son-in-law, Mr R. Barlow, Regent Cottage, Birmingham. The Sheffield Independent, 25 May 1833, carried a notice of the auction of Osborn & Sons’ finished and unfinished stock of pen and pocket knives, including working tools, fixtures, and 300 gross of scales, springs, and blades (ground and unground). The advertisement noted that Osborn & Sons was ‘declining that part of their manufacturing concern’. In 1837, Osborn’s Liverpool branch also closed.

In the 1830s, the Osborn name was carried forward in Sheffield and Birmingham by Thomas Osborn (1802-1885). He was apparently baptised in Sheffield, the son of Philip (a cutler and probably the ‘Philip’ mentioned above) and his wife, Martha. Census enumerations between 1841 and 1881 variously described Thomas as a cutler or silversmith living with his family in Edgbaston. In directories, Thomas Osborn & Sons was listed as a manufacturer of cutlery, surgical instruments, silversmith, electro-plater, and dealer in lamps; with a ‘manufactory’ in Carver Street, Sheffield, and a wholesale cutlery outlet next to the Post Office, Bennett’s Hill, Birmingham. In 1851, Osborn employed a dozen men. He traded in Sheffield and Birmingham until the early 1860s, when his manager was Jonathan Willis. Thomas Osborn was widowed and had retired by 1881. He died in Portland Road, Edgbaston, on 24 August 1885, aged 82. He left an estate of £10,597.”

Interestingly enough... 10,597 British Pounds in 1885 is worth 1,370,677 British pounds in today’s money...or $1,808,471 USD. Thus Thomas Osborn must have been a pretty successful manufacturer/seller of wares.

In addition, I found these two documents...the registrar is from 1837 (Osborn & Sons is in the upper right), and the advertisement is from 1849.

All of this adds up to tell me this set was likely made from circa 1835-1865 in Sheffield, England on Carver Street. The scales appear to be ivory, and they look to be in very very good shape...a rare bird...7 day set that is 155-185 old.

If anyone has any additional information, please post it since these guys seem to have been pretty much forgotten within the straight razor community.

Vr

Matt

6F996A1B-C871-41C7-A27D-064252A3B3A6.jpeg
E6E62320-D102-4D55-8FE8-330485B50356.jpeg

I’ve looked at this set several times, congratulations on being the guy to pick them up! Definitely vintage ivory, I’d have said late 1860’s. The set looks perfect! Enjoy honing them, looking for shave report on them!

Absolutely Matt, and thanks!

I will be posting some more pictures after they arrive, and will certainly provide a shave report!

This set was just a complete enigma until I started changing my search parameters! Crazy how more of their straight razors seem to have not survived...you see more Mappin and Webb around than these!

Vr

Matt

According to this site, Osborn & Sons - https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=o&kel=1587 , here is the family story of this manufacturer:

“This company was based in Sheffield and Birmingham between the 1830s and 1860s – though Osborn companies operated at these locations at an earlier date. The family linkages are difficult to unravel, not least because directories used ‘Osborn’ and ‘Osborne’ interchangeably. But Philip Osborn (c.1770-1833) was listed in directories between 1816 and 1822 as a pen and pocket knife manufacturer in Carver Street. (Osborn, Baggaly & Co in Carver Street in 1811 may also be relevant.) Philip apparently developed connections in Birmingham (where he probably lived) and Liverpool. Between 1825 and 1828, Peter Osborn & Son was trading in Carver Street (with no Philip listed). Perhaps Peter was Philip’s son. In 1830, Osborn & Son’s cutlery warehouse in Birmingham was praised for elevating the beauty and excellence of the thoroughfare of Bennett’s Hill. Osborn’s entry in The History, Topography and Directory of Warwickshire was accompanied by a full-page advertisement (West, 1830).

Philip Osborn died, aged 63, on 20 February 1833 at the home of his son-in-law, Mr R. Barlow, Regent Cottage, Birmingham. The Sheffield Independent, 25 May 1833, carried a notice of the auction of Osborn & Sons’ finished and unfinished stock of pen and pocket knives, including working tools, fixtures, and 300 gross of scales, springs, and blades (ground and unground). The advertisement noted that Osborn & Sons was ‘declining that part of their manufacturing concern’. In 1837, Osborn’s Liverpool branch also closed.

In the 1830s, the Osborn name was carried forward in Sheffield and Birmingham by Thomas Osborn (1802-1885). He was apparently baptised in Sheffield, the son of Philip (a cutler and probably the ‘Philip’ mentioned above) and his wife, Martha. Census enumerations between 1841 and 1881 variously described Thomas as a cutler or silversmith living with his family in Edgbaston. In directories, Thomas Osborn & Sons was listed as a manufacturer of cutlery, surgical instruments, silversmith, electro-plater, and dealer in lamps; with a ‘manufactory’ in Carver Street, Sheffield, and a wholesale cutlery outlet next to the Post Office, Bennett’s Hill, Birmingham. In 1851, Osborn employed a dozen men. He traded in Sheffield and Birmingham until the early 1860s, when his manager was Jonathan Willis. Thomas Osborn was widowed and had retired by 1881. He died in Portland Road, Edgbaston, on 24 August 1885, aged 82. He left an estate of £10,597.”

Interestingly enough... 10,597 British Pounds in 1885 is worth 1,370,677 British pounds in today’s money...or $1,808,471 USD. Thus Thomas Osborn must have been a pretty successful manufacturer/seller of wares.

In addition, I found these two documents...the registrar is from 1837 (Osborn & Sons is in the upper right), and the advertisement is from 1849.

All of this adds up to tell me this set was likely made from circa 1835-1865 in Sheffield, England on Carver Street. The scales appear to be ivory, and they look to be in very very good shape...a rare bird...7 day set that is 155-185 old.

If anyone has any additional information, please post it since these guys seem to have been pretty much forgotten within the straight razor community.

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1146765View attachment 1146766

nice set!!!!

congrats on the purchase.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Congratulations @Matt O on a wonderful find and purchase. They certainly look lovely and in great condition. The spines appear to be etched, rather than engraved. Acid etching of steel only came to England in the early 1820's, which fits in with your date estimate.

If you ever tire of them, let me know 😁.

Last edited:
Nice pick up. I've looked at them a few times on the auction site. My guess on age would be 1840-1860. They look to be in really good condition. They'll probably end up being incredible shavers.

Gents,

The Osborn & Sons set has arrived, and right when I gently opened the lid...I thought to myself, “OH...that looks quite a bit better than the seller’s photos!” as the tangs reflected the light on the mirror finished portions amongst the frosted portions!
927A95ED-A56B-456D-9D14-B2502D3144AD.jpeg
74BF32E0-6804-402A-881A-00B0D039CAB8.jpeg
4A99A860-199A-4518-8B56-AFAFC1C48128.jpeg

The next thought that I had was that the blades couldn’t possible be as beautiful as the tangs...I was completely wrong...they are all just over 6/8, and are stunning. Thursday has some ugly smudges but I think Maas polish will handle that just fine!

They are all 1/4 hollow, and have a mirror finish with no grind marks or anything of the sort. The fit and finish is superb, and the natural ivory scales are as mentioned...STUNNING. Two have a small crack at the pin, but they appear stable, and IMO in no way detract from the beauty of this set.

There is a little bit of hone wear on each blade, which I love...and it’s nice and even! Just for fun I checked, and they all do a pretty good job of passing the HHT. I can’t wait to hone and use these!

If this set shaves half as well as it looks, it is a true treasure! I am blown away!

Sunday:

A9E9BB8E-611A-4418-A459-5458662B42D3.jpeg
3FC1283A-5E32-4B34-A799-6D2E081B4383.jpeg
46C48300-DE15-42B2-80E5-E9072FE12C42.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With that ugly smudge on Thursday and multiple scales cracked at the pivot pins, I can understand your disappointment at now having a ruined M7DS. Being the benevolent gentleman that I am, I will take them off your hands - and even pay for the shipping!

Bahahahaha....thank-you for your concern and consideration kind Sir...however, I feel obligated to report that a little bit of Maas took the tarnish line on Monday right out to a perfect mirror finish, and mostly removed the smudge on Thursday...it’s so faint now one can barely see it.

I will try to stomach my disappointment, and happy with this set...some how!

Vr

Matt

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm looking forward to reading how each blade performs. Your objective then is to get each up to the same level as the best in the set - and keep them all that way.

Once every blade in your M7DS is your equal favorite, you can start looking for your second different M7DS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom