What's new

Osage: To Rub or Not to Rub?

After getting knee-deep into this DE shaving business the past month or so, I've learned a good bit.
Also, I've managed to purchase five razors, many creams and soaps, and a multitude of after shaves.
I like menthol and eucalyptus.
So, after reading many favorable reviews of the Osage Rub, I managed to find some locally (today) and made the buy.
I was expecting something a bit different, perhaps like Skin Bracer on steroids.
After splashing on a bit (while at a stop light), I smelled like I had just pulled a 10 hour shift at a Ben-Gay factory.
However, the fragrance did "grow" on me, and I do find it refreshing. I'm looking forward to using it after the next BBS.
And more importantly, when I got home, the SWMBO really liked it. So I've got that going for me, which is nice (my apologies to Bill Murray).
What are your thoughts?
Go for the Absorbine Jr. aroma or not?
Just curious.

Shave on,

Don

Its a cold slap in the face for sure. I like to apply it, feels the freeze for awhile, then apply an AS that I like the fragrance of. Sounds like you were maybe expecting what one gets from one of the Barbasol AS offerings.

I have used the Rub as a hair tonic, then applied Pacific Rush to my face to get a whole head freeze. Nice.

Yes, go for the Green Freeze! I use it only on the really hot days after a shower and shave. A splash to the face and a little around my scalp and neck. Aaaah!

:velva2:

]Great product I also use liberally on face, scalp and body. I keep it in the fridge for added freeze. !!![/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Use it.

It just smells like menthol, which pops up in sports rubs like Ben Gay. Definitely not the same smell profile though, and Osage Rub goes away fairly quick. The name suggests to me that it was at one time used as a massage type muscle rub, and I wonder if that's the case.

You took the above words right out of my mouth. But of among my AS collection OR smells and behaves more like the CVS SB knockoff I have.

Follow-up to my original post:
This morning I attacked my two-day growth with a '57 SS Blue-Tip that I found at a local pawn shop this week.
To my surprise, it attacked me! I thought it was a non-aggressor. Maybe 4 or 5 nicks. What the heck? Must be my technique.
Anyway, after my alum and styptic treatment, I applied the OR for the first time after a shave. It was great. The pores, being quite open, were quite stimulated by the new AS.
I splashed on a bit of Pinaud (since it is Friday) and headed home.
After getting home I applied a bit of Lea AS Balsam Balm for the first time. It smells a good bit like the OR, and puts a bit if moisture back in the skin. The SWMBO liked it too.
Speaking of my SWMBO, last night she rubbed my back and feet with the OR. Both areas were achy, and it did help a bit. Another good use for the OR. She is a sweety.

Top Bottom