What's new

Osage Rub vs Proraso Green Splash

So this morning I used some Osage green that was given to me from a PIF not too long ago. I have to admit the smell really turned me off and so the bottle just sat on my shelf for a few months, well fast forward to today, I just decided to the heck with it and that I would try it. Well I loved the feel of the mint and the menthol and the alcohol burn, and the smell wasn't really as bad as I thought after applying it.

So here's my questions, is this scent and feel similar to Proraso Green? And Proraso green splash does have alcohol in it correct?

Thank you. This is a question the needs to be answered. I can't help having never experienced Osage Green. I'll be watching.

The scents are similar to me, that menthol/medicinal scent (I love it), though I feel Osage’s is a bit sharper than Proraso Green’s. Green might be a little nicer on skin feel as it has witch hazel, where Osage does not; both have menthol and eucalyptus.

Yes, Green has alcohol in it, though I’ve read some distributors have an alcohol free version?

Last edited:
Yes I should have said, Osage’s menthol is quite a bit more of a kick. It may be one of the strongest you can get commercially.

Osage Rub has a much more mentholated kick than does Proraso. Osage Rub has a much more medicinal scent initially but dries down to a nice powdery scent relatively quickly. Proraso goes on with a slight medicinal edge but the overall impression is that it is more cologne-y than is Osage Rub. Neither scent will carry very far into the day. I have and use both. When the Proraso is gone I probably won't be replacing it. I will replace the Osage Rub when it's gone because I love the menthol and I use it every time as a post-shave/pre-aftershave.

Osage Rub has a much more mentholated kick than does Proraso. Osage Rub has a much more medicinal scent initially but dries down to a nice powdery scent relatively quickly. Proraso goes on with a slight medicinal edge but the overall impression is that it is more cologne-y than is Osage Rub. Neither scent will carry very far into the day. I have and use both. When the Proraso is gone I probably won't be replacing it. I will replace the Osage Rub when it's gone because I love the menthol and I use it every time as a post-shave/pre-aftershave.
+1. Osage Rub is for menthol lovers. Proraso is a much milder version.

I will replace the Osage Rub when it's gone because I love the menthol and I use it every time as a post-shave/pre-aftershave.

I like to use Osage Rub as a pre-shave too, but maybe a little bit differently. If I'm not using a pre-shave cream with menthol (normally Vitos), I will add a capful or half-capful of OR to the water I'm soaking the brush in prior to lathering and shaving. Then I will apply this to my face prior to lathering for a little underlying menthol kick on the first pass.

Even diluted like this, I find it still is strong enough to make my eyes water a little if it gets too close.

I have and like both. Proraso is more nourishing based on ingredients. Osage has a BIG menthol kick, can be drying to me. I actually enjoy them mixed 50:50.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I love both. Proraso has better ingredients and is more nourishing to the skin. Osage is kick a-- in the Menthol department, and while not technically an aftershave it works well enough as one. Proraso is superior as an aftershave.

As others have said, Proraso actually has skin nourishing ingredients. Not so much with the O.R. if you're a glutton for pain from a highly concentrated menthol kick, look no further than Osage Rub. I'll be using Osage again with weather warming up, but not too frequently.

I do like the proraso line of aftershaves, I do agree that they quality of them makes a real difference when comparing them to other brands.

After using the red splash my face feels so soft

Not even close.

Proraso green is simply an amazing elegant scent.

Osage rub is mentholated green water.

+1! Proraso green for me also! This is because I like a bit of menthol, not an overpowering amount.

Others (the real menthol heads) might agree on that formulation to reach the opposite conclusion!!

Proraso Green is
30836.gif

Top Bottom