What's new

Original Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel Cartridges

I recently found my first razor from high school, the Gillette Sensor. I was wondering if anyone has experienced using original Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel cartridges (meaning new old stock from the 1990's)? The cartridges being 30+ years old does it have any performance issues because of the age of the lube strip. Thank you

I recently found my first razor from high school, the Gillette Sensor. I was wondering if anyone has experienced using original Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel cartridges (meaning new old stock from the 1990's)? The cartridges being 30+ years old does it have any performance issues because of the age of the lube strip. Thank you
I have a Sensor Excel, but I never use it. If the cartridges have been kept dry and are still in the original packaging, I suspect they would work fine. If the lube strip looks bad, remove it.

I came to the Gillette Sensor party late, and I have little long-term experience with the Sensor.

But here's what I remember: The Sensor was made circa 1990-late 00's. It gives a superb close and comfortable shave. The cartridges are smallish and are great for shaving under the nose. The razor is very nimble, similar to shaving with an injector razor. The Sensor probably is most comfortable of the modern cartridge razors.

When you can find 'em, the cartridges are very expensive. It's shaver-friendly, as it's virtually impossible to cut or to nick the face. The blades are flexible. They conform to the face. Hence the name Sensor. I see the Gillette Sensor as a slightly improved Gillette ATRA, though when all things are considered I prefer the ATRA as my personal fav.

Last edited:
I switched from my mid 60s Schick injector to carts (probably Atra) around the mid 1970s, before switching to Sensor, then Sensor Excel. Although I'd occasionally use a Quattro to break the boredom, the Excel was my primary until switching to DE in 2009. About 10 months after switching to DE, I took my Excel on vacation for convenience. The shave was so bad, I tossed it in the hotel trash and didn't shave again until we got home.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I took my Excel on vacation for convenience. The shave was so bad, I tossed it in the hotel trash and didn't shave again until we got home.
I tossed my Sensor Excel after using my KCG DE razor for the first time about 2 years ago. What a glorious day that was. :001_smile

Top Bottom