What's new

Origin of the shaving brush?

I just pulled this from the B&B wiki article on the origin of the brush:

1592176422270.png

The important datum, from my point of view, is that ladies’ shaving equipage included brushes in 1761, not long after the supposed introduction of the shaving brush by French barbers.

My speculation is that sensible French ladies invented the shaving brush, by adapting other brushes from their equipage to the task of lathering the various body parts they wished to shave. They would then naturally demand more specialized designs from their brush makers. Et, voilà!

French barbers then adopted the ladies obviously superior idea. Eventually the hidebound conservative (slovenly?) gentleman shavers of England caught a clue, probably long after cutting edge dandies had perfected male shaving brush designs. Which all led to interminable brush debates on B&B. BTW, unbanded boar rules. No brag, just fact.

Amirite? Go thank the LOTH.

I just pulled this from the B&B wiki article on the origin of the brush:

View attachment 1113284
The important datum, from my point of view, is that ladies’ shaving equipage included brushes in 1761, not long after the supposed introduction of the shaving brush by French barbers.

My speculation is that sensible French ladies invented the shaving brush, by adapting other brushes from their equipage to the task of lathering the various body parts they wished to shave. They would then naturally demand more specialized designs from their brush makers. Et, voilà!

French barbers then adopted the ladies obviously superior idea. Eventually the hidebound conservative (slovenly?) gentleman shavers of England caught a clue, probably long after cutting edge dandies had perfected male shaving brush designs. Which all led to interminable brush debates on B&B. BTW, unbanded boar rules. No brag, just fact.

Amirite? Go thank the LOTH.
Interesting take on the origin, the french ladies I have met were not so much into shaving... :p

One day I was sitting on a rock watching the sheep. "Gilgamesh," I says, "I'm going to go shave". Now this Gilgamesh fellow, he was always getting up to hijinks and today he was wrestling a badger and a wild boar but a few feet from me. Without missing a beat, he skewers them both on a pointed stick and hands it to me. "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this," he says.

Interesting article, thanks for pointing out this entry in the wiki. In addition to the early history, I found it interesting that US makers were sourcing brush bristles from China as early as 1916.

One day I was sitting on a rock watching the sheep. "Gilgamesh," I says, "I'm going to go shave". Now this Gilgamesh fellow, he was always getting up to hijinks and today he was wrestling a badger and a wild boar but a few feet from me. Without missing a beat, he skewers them both on a pointed stick and hands it to me. "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this," he says.

Eye witness account!

Top Bottom