What's new

Origin of Open Comb

Hi there, I'm curious about the origin of open comb vs. slant bar, and specifically why Gillette's first razor used an open comb. As far as their transition to the straight bar in the late 1930's, I have seen ad copy for the Tech that the straight bar was "safer," and I've also seen it said that the straight bar was cheaper to produce, so a win-win for them. If all of this is the case, I'm curious why they didn't use a straight bar from the beginning.

Was it because the open comb was felt to give a superior shave at the turn of the century? Did Gillette think a straight bar wouldn't work? I ask because I started using an open comb (New) for the first time in the last few weeks, and I find it the best razor I've used. But aside from how they how well or not well they actually work, which is subjective, I'm interested in how people thought about them at the time they were produced.

The open comb design is as old as the idea of safety razors, at least as far back as the 1880's. King Gillette was holding a Star Safety Razor, which is what he was shaving with at the time, when he decided to make disposable double edge blades. He probably just copied the Star idea for the safety guard. The Gillette Tech uses a stamped brass sheet to make the baseplate, and I'me sure a solid bar is easier to stamp.

At the turn of the 20th century, beards and other facial hair on men were common.

A dry razor comb is useful in thinning out a thick beard. A dry razor comb also is useful in thinning out a head that is overfilled with thick hair, delaying a trip to the barbershop.

By the middle of the 20th century facial hair was passé, and short haircuts were the norm. Combs on razors largely disappeared.

Though controversial, I believe a combed razor is not inherently a more effective shaver than a safety bar razor.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
It's not more effective. It's a personal taste thing. You definitely feel more blade with the OC. I like the feel of it because my stubble is thick and coarse.

At the turn of the 20th century, beards and other facial hair on men were common.

A dry razor comb is useful in thinning out a thick beard. A dry razor comb also is useful in thinning out a head that is overfilled with thick hair, delaying a trip to the barbershop.

By the middle of the 20th century facial hair was passé, and short haircuts were the norm. Combs on razors largely disappeared.

Though controversial, I believe a combed razor is not inherently a more effective shaver than a safety bar razor.

+1

Prior to the safety razor, shaving was most likely viewed as a luxury and the wearing of facial hair was the norm.

I think it was a combination of men with more facial hair in those days (mutton chops, big moustaches), and not shaving daily, so OCs were more effective in dealing with longer growth.

Open combs have their origin in early safety razors, which were pretty much nothing more than straight razors with a comb that attached to them and was supposed to provide a measure of safety.
From what I understand, Gillette went to a solid safety bar because it was more durable. If you drop a vintage open comb, its pretty easy for the combs to get bent or broken.

Open combs have their origin in early safety razors, which were pretty much nothing more than straight razors with a comb that attached to them and was supposed to provide a measure of safety.
From what I understand, Gillette went to a solid safety bar because it was more durable. If you drop a vintage open comb, its pretty easy for the combs to get bent or broken.

+1. This is my understanding.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess I read YMMV so much that I didn't realize the open comb objectively cuts through more and thicker hair.

As in an actual comb? I remember seeing a photo of a barber giving his customer a fade with a DE blade papercliped to a regular comb. It makes sense that what you describe would be the transition that led to the dedicated safety razor. And I hadn't realized about durability. Thanks a lot, this was bugging me.

As in an actual comb? I remember seeing a photo of a barber giving his customer a fade with a DE blade papercliped to a regular comb. It makes sense that what you describe would be the transition that led to the dedicated safety razor. And I hadn't realized about durability. Thanks a lot, this was bugging me.
Not so much a comb like what you would comb your hair with. Its what they called a, "feather". If you get your hair cut by someone who isnt a licenced barber and they do a straight razor neck shave, they still use them to this day.

Not so much a comb like what you would comb your hair with. Its what they called a, "feather". If you get your hair cut by someone who isnt a licenced barber and they do a straight razor neck shave, they still use them to this day.

Got it, thanks

If you go to the Google and type in, "straight razor guard", youll see about a million pictures of what Im talking about. They dont give as close of a shave as a true no-guard straight razor shave because the blade doesnt actually touch your skin but it also takes a lot less skill than a true straight razor shave does.

Hi,

And there are medical prep razor blades which have a comb-like guard wrap along the cutting edge. So, now we have come full circle. ;)

94376c4ec257d7ae784bd30296ec3642-1-1200.jpg

Personna DermaGard. Not only is the razor OC, the blade is, too!

Stan

Top Bottom