What's new

Oriental Pipe Tobacco Suggestions?

I tend to like tobaccos that are smooth, rich and slightly sweet. Would like to try orientals that would fit that bill. Had thought I would like it better if there were no Latakia, but after my experience with Proper English, (smooth, rich, slightly sweet and WITH Latakia) I am wondering if the Latakia really makes a difference.

Suggestions elsewhere have included the usual suspects - McClelland's. And that is fine. Just wondering if someone had some specific suggestions with (hopefully) a description of the taste.

Am hoping that the tobacco tastes exotic!

Thanks!

Oriental is also known as "Turkish" and I'm not sure there are many that feature it prominently, its more an accompaniment 'baccy. Dunhill Nightcap has a great Turkish element to it. Cornell and Diehl Oriental Silk has good reviews. Hopefully more members chime in! Any Balkan blend should have a good element of Turkish, so if you like English blends, Balkan is the way to go.

Not counting Latakia which I understand is sometimes considered oriental, I was thinking of venice agonya, samsun, smyra (Izmir), katerina, drama and sokhoum differentiations. Guess what I am wondering is whether I would be satisfied sampling a mixture and not know what the individual notes are, or leaf-specific tobaccos.

Have you tried Magnum Opus from Pipes and Cigars? Is my favorite. The oriental element includes yendje, which is more spicy than anything else on my palette.

Have you tried Magnum Opus from Pipes and Cigars? Is my favorite. The oriental element includes yendje, which is more spicy than anything else on my palette.

Yes. I have a bit of Magnum Opus and it is quite tasty. I may still get some more of it, but right now I am trying to concentrate on a few so that my tobacco collection doesn't end up looking like my over-done soap collection!

Yes. I have a bit of Magnum Opus and it is quite tasty. I may still get some more of it, but right now I am trying to concentrate on a few so that my tobacco collection doesn't end up looking like my over-done soap collection!

Ahem...are you saying there is something wrong with a large 'baccy collection? :a32:

:tongue_sm

Magnum Opus is excellent.

Frog Morton on the Town is on the lighter/sweeter side of oriental blends.

McClellend drama reserve is a very delicate and exotic tobacco, but the flavors are quite subtle. No latakia, just drama leaf on a base of VA.

John Parker just empty your food cupboards. who needs plates when there is so many blends to try?

I have to say too,
FM on the town is what a lot of people start trying an oriental
i enjoy it. Has an almost perfumey (don't let this put you off) room note and taste.
i like smoking it in churchwardens or longer prince bowls.

Last edited:
If you prefer bulk I like PS English Oriental Supreme. Some latakia but not a lot.

Yes, it was very good. Much sweeter than I thought it would be.

C&D virginia gentleman is a Virginia Burley primarily but it has orientals for complexity. I am a huge fan of it.

When I want oriental character I pick up some G.L. Pease Cairo. It is a Va mixture, with a good amount of mixed orientals, and dash of perique. I find it best when smoked slow in a wind protected area or inside (too fast and the perique becomes more dominant). It is medium-bodied, a touch sweet, and has a nice amount of herb flavors (orientals), fig/raisin (perique), spice, and a touch of pepper (perique). It changes and deepens throughout the bowl in a pleasant way, so I use a big bowl to smoke this.

It can ghost a pipe with a sharp black pepper note, even though that never seems to come out when smoking it. If smoked too fast the Va will bite or taste ashy. This is a tobacco to be savored and focused on, but is excellent when smoked correctly.

$image.jpg

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe is another great one to try, (as is their My Mixture 965 and Nightcap- each stronger than the last). I also really like artwork, pictured here with one of my Hardcastle's pipes.

Top Bottom