What's new

Organs

I pretty much eat any of this stuff except fish heads, non-roe fish guts, and chitterlings.

The presentation has to be cuisine appropriate though. For instance, shrimp heads in Chinese or Japanese cuisine, very crispy.

In Portgual the sardines, which were wonderful, frequently came apparently uncleaned at all which was hard to eat and on some level disturbing. Fish guts are pretty bitter to me and whether I eat them or not they detract from the taste. I do not mind the head being on the fish when served, but I am not going to each it even for something like deep fired smelt.

I have tried chitterlings various ways and no preparation got rid of the smell. So I have eaten them, but I do not like them.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Guys & Girls:
Speaking of gizzards, if any member is around Potterville, MI (approximately 20 miles southwest of East Lansing), you need to stop at Joe’s Gizzard City (Guy Fieri from “Diners, Drive-In’s and Dive’s” on the Food Network paid a visit for a TV segment). :drool:

Joe’s place is a casual establishment specializing in chicken gizzards along with burgers, nachos, fried comfort fare and other menu items.
proxy.php

Try the;

“Deep Fried Olives
A generous portion of green olives served with a side of ranch. $9.99”.

or:

“Joe’s Batter Burger
Joe’s famous 1/3 lb burger fried in Joe’s famous batter mix. Topped with your choice of fixins. $9.99”.

or:

“Joe’s Famous Chicken 🐓 Gizzards
These little babies are what has made Joe’s what it is today! We guarantee they’re so tender you can cut them with a spoon! Try them Original, Cajun, Garlic & Herb, Tex Mex, Naked Fried, or Naked Nuked. Half Serving $9.99 / Full Serving $10.99”.

proxy.php
"Is life worth living? It depends on the [chicken gizzards]". William James

I love gizzards, too. And all kinds of liver. What would Jewish deli/cuisine be without chopped liver? What would French cuisine be without calves liver and pates? To me a nice piece of calves liver is a delicacy.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I love gizzards, too. And all kinds of liver. What would Jewish deli/cuisine be without chopped liver? What would French cuisine be without calves liver and pates? To me a nice piece of calves liver is a delicacy.
The Knize:
+1.jpg
...the Mrs. and I couldn't agree with you more...we both especially love (thick slices of), calf over beef liver. :ihih:

Besides the sauteed onions (until they 'sweat' and translucent),...we love it with garlic, fresh thyme, & rosemary, cracked sea salt & pepper...a 'rasher' of cooked bacon 'on the side' and sauteed sliced avocado slices.

I then deglaze the pan with Madeira or Sherry...add demi-glaze or brown sauce and 'reduce' until thicken. A absolutely fantastic! :w00t:

As you know, the key is in the preparation...soaked in milk (this step is 'so' important in taking what chance of bitter taste of the liver out and 'mellows' out the flavor...then discard the milk), a simple flour 'dredging'...sauteed nicely & browned outside, but still kind of pink in the middle.

And of course as you know & remember...the more well done you make it, the texture changes from tender to leathery. :thumbsup:

Chef-1.jpg
"I [think I might have] liver spots...[so] I ought to come out with a side of onions [& avocado]". Phyllis iller

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The Knize:
View attachment 1070072...the Mrs. and I couldn't agree with you more...we both especially love (thick slices of), calf over beef liver. :ihih:

Besides the sauteed onions (until they 'sweat' and translucent),...we love it with garlic, fresh thyme, & rosemary, cracked sea salt & pepper...a 'rasher' of cooked bacon 'on the side' and sauteed sliced avocado slices.

I then deglaze the pan with Madeira or Sherry...add demi-glaze or brown sauce and 'reduce' until thicken. A absolutely fantastic! :w00t:

As you know, the key is in the preparation...soaked in milk (this step is 'so' important in taking what chance of bitter taste of the liver out and 'mellows' out the flavor...then discard the milk), a simple flour 'dredging'...sauteed nicely & browned outside, but still kind of pink in the middle.

And of course as you know & remember...the more well done you make it, the texture changes from tender to leathery. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1070071"I [think I might have] liver spots...[so] I ought to come out with a side of onions [& avocado]". Phyllis iller

+1

Try some creme de cassis when you deglaze that pan some time.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Oh yeah, and a pile of onion strings in place of caramelized onions for a change too!

Wife and I had a great plate of fried chicken livers last weekend at the Devil's Pool Bar at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson MO.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My mother Penny cooked calf liver and onions for us as far back as I can remember. She told me it was tender steak. When I was 4 I didn't know what was what...I just ate it all. Churches fried chicken restaurant made the best fried chicken livers and/or gizzards. After church it was the perfect meal. Granddad cooked up brains, heart and kidneys in his cowboy stew...delicious but don't tell me the whole truth. From what I've been reading, organ meats are very good for us. The Plains Indians ate the organs after eating the fat first. They knew something.

Do you eat organ meats? Why or why not?
I absolutely must find a way to eat organ meat. Liver is likely the healthiest meat one can eat but I can’t handle it. I’ve heard liver jerky is good. I’ll have to get my son to make some up. My rejection of these extremely meats is simply psychological I believe.

I absolutely must find a way to eat organ meat. Liver is likely the healthiest meat one can eat but I can’t handle it. I’ve heard liver jerky is good. I’ll have to get my son to make some up. My rejection of these extremely meats is simply psychological I believe.
Tap into your carnivorous self and picture just ripping into a fresh kill, tearing out its heart and taking a bite....the blood running down your chin. Screaming in triumph. ANIMALISTIC! Alpha! Or try covering it in gravy. Gravy helps too haha

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Tap into your carnivorous self and picture just ripping into a fresh kill, tearing out its heart and taking a bite....the blood running down your chin. Screaming in triumph. ANIMALISTIC! Alpha! Or try covering it in gravy. Gravy helps too haha
Now I want to go kill something!

I had sweetbreads and my wife had calves liver at a great old school Italian restaurant, Dante and Luigi's in Philly Saturday night. My wife asked for the liver as the chef would do it for himself, although a bit toward the medium side. It came quite rare. Exquisite, though.

Am I the only one who is not so much into onions with liver? Some onion, shallots, garlic, etc., for sure. Food is not food without those allium family members. But I find lots and and lots of onion tend to overwhelm the flavor of the liver, which is not something I am striving for. Sauces with some sweetness, say berries, are nice with calves liver.

Chicken livers make a nice bar food. I am disappointed they are not more common.

I do not know about liver being the healthest meat. it is said that things like pesticides and drug residues. tend to settle in the liver. It is a high saturated fat piece of meat. I realize it is now controversial as to whether that is healthy or not.

I am from a farm family that raised and butchered our own hogs and beef. We ate virtually everything from the animals, liver, kidneys,heart, brains, tongue, headcheese etc. It was the norm for me and I was always astound as a child that other kids thought that was weird or gross, it was normal dinner fare in my family and i still enjoy most of those dishes.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am from a farm family that raised and butchered our own hogs and beef. We ate virtually everything from the animals, liver, kidneys,heart, brains, tongue, headcheese etc. It was the norm for me and I was always astound as a child that other kids thought that was weird or gross, it was normal dinner fare in my family and i still enjoy most of those dishes.
It may seem gross and weird but guts are the only true superfoods on the planet. That’s what our paleo ancestors ate and formed our DNA. Wish I could get them down. Have to consume the desiccated stuff. I am learning to eat liver wurst - slowly.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It may seem gross and weird but guts are the only true superfoods on the planet. That’s what our paleo ancestors ate and formed our DNA. Wish I could get them down. Have to consume the desiccated stuff. I am learning to eat liver wurst - slowly.
My ancestors didn't form anything but beer and sausage not my DNA.

I did not grow up on a farm, but my parents did, and we ate most of that stuff--actually, I do not know why we did not each pork or beef hearts or kidneys. I thought it was odd that other kids thought it was weird, too. I assume the entire nation of France still eats all of these things, and I do not think I have much reason to question their taste in food!

Actually, I think when I was growing up, most folks ate beef/calves liver. I still think a beautiful piece of calves liver is a delicacy!

I did not grow up on a farm, but my parents did, and we ate most of that stuff--actually, I do not know why we did not each pork or beef hearts or kidneys. I thought it was odd that other kids thought it was weird, too. I assume the entire nation of France still eats all of these things, and I do not think I have much reason to question their taste in food!

Actually, I think when I was growing up, most folks ate beef/calves liver. I still think a beautiful piece of calves liver is a delicacy!
I never lived on a farm, nor did anyone in my family. All my ancestors were city folks. However, I love calves' liver. It's funny because I'm the only person in my entire family who eats it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom