What's new

Organs

Anyone eat any various fish organs?
I like fish and shrimp heads (eyes, brain). With small fish, crunch and swallow like a cookie. Shrimp - chew, such out the goodness then spit out the detritus. Sardines or kippers will do in a pinch.

Salmon and mayo (sometimes mixed with sour cream) has become a staple for many of my meals. Bumble Bee wild caught, canned - Red or Pink. Red is Sockeye salmon - the other ingredient is salt - which does not bother me as the government's salt restriction is a load of bull. Pink is a lesser grade, but still wild caught. Red is around $6.90 for a 14 oz can. Pink is around $2.90 - same 14 oz size. I always add 3 eggs over easy on top, and also add another meat side and mix it in - hamburger patties, pork adobo, liver, whatever is available. Even left over Prime Rib, with horseradish sauce. I use pesto more than ketchup on my eggs. I make my own pesto as I can control ingredients. Store bought says olive oil, but it could very well be the lesser grade olive oil that's mixed / laced with harmful vegetable oils. I would't put it past them. Vegetable oil is cheap and bad for you.

I like fish and shrimp heads (eyes, brain). With small fish, crunch and swallow like a cookie. Shrimp - chew, such out the goodness then spit out the detritus. Sardines or kippers will do in a pinch.
Don't think I ever heard of that. The sardines and kipper snacks I eat are sans heads. I have eaten minnows over a camp fire with heads on ( when ya can't catch fish, eat the bait)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Which brings up another question....fish eggs considered organ? Probably not but comes from guts LOL. Anyone eat any various fish organs?

I wouldn't count roe, but I imagine many would (again, just because of the "ick" factor). I'd put roe in its own category or, at least, another category.

Fish cheeks and collars (throats) are the bomb!

When I first arrived in Asia, Jakarta 1995 to be precise, I was pretty new to some cuisines. One night a group of us went to teppanyaki, all expat guys some with Asian wives - a couple of Indonesian ladies and one Filipina. It was my first time with this.
At one stage the chef got some large prawns on the grill (major yuk from me!) but the ladies all ignored the tail meat, requested the heads be cooked and just ate them. They said it was the best bit, but I hadn't had enough sake and beer to try it!

I know it scares some people, and turns others stomach, but there are some things, liver being 1, that is better if not cooked well done. Pink or red juice seems to be a BIG no no, but if you close your eyes and use your taste buds.....you will change your mind on liver, deer, ducks, geese.....

Funnily enough, years later I had calves liver and bacon as a set business lunch, it was that or nothing and it was properly cooked, not pink as you say, and it was OK. However, I was in France prior to that and went to a really snotty place that refused to concede they spoke English or had English menus but that's ok I thought I'll give it a bash. Foie de veau was the dish of the day, or rather, plat du jour. My French at the time was limited: I knew veau was veal, but totally forgot what foie might be. So I guessed some sort of veal steak. And asked for it 'a point' as I had learnt it meant 'medium'. Bad move. I didn't realise that the French always undercook meat - I know it now and order accordingly - and basically a lump of liver arrived that still had a pulse! Oh dear, no.

My wife had a business trip to Japan and was served shrimp legs fried with lime and salt. She made it for me when she returned. It was really good!

I’ll make chicken livers from time to time. Dusted in flour and corn starch 50/50 and a healthy amount of paprika. Served on rice with onions.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
At one stage the chef got some large prawns on the grill (major yuk from me!) but the ladies all ignored the tail meat, requested the heads be cooked and just ate them.

Shrimp heads really are tasty, but do need to be cooked enough so that they are very crispy brittle and can be chewed. I've had them fried. I'll admit that it was something of a step for me, but it was a rewarding step!

I’ll make chicken livers from time to time.

There aren't many things that will get me run out of the house, but cooking liver of any sort (except, maybe fois gras) any sort of way is one of them. Mrs. TL is not a liver fan. It's not the "ick" factor, either. She just doesn't like that mineral sort of taste one finds in liver, kidneys, and blood. Sometimes, she's say "there's something about this that I don't like, but I don't know what it is." There's a reasonable chance that "something" is liver.

Many of the Central American restaurants in this area serve tacos with beef tongue. Not bad, I have to say. They also serve tripa (tripe), that I will skip.

Once I travelled to Israel. In Jerusalem, there was the mixed grille (hearts, spleens, and liver mixed with lamb meat, I think). Also known as the mixed internal combo. We had to ask for an explanation. One of the guys in our party sternly told the waiter he did not want "anything internal."
:laugh:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was going to post the organ guy from the Monte Python TV show, but probably NSFW
1582830237062.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's the largest organ on a pig/hog?

I could answer this question for you in Spanish...it just sounds better.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
DoctorShavegood:
plus-one-png.797576
...now, this Thread could be just 'offal' :))), but seriously...the Mrs. and I love some liver & onions, but being a 'equal opportunity' carnivores
proxy.php
...;

The innards I love is braunschweiger, liverwurst, oxtails, pork belly, scrapple, beef marrow roasted bones, kidneys, ham hocks, chicken livers, gizzards, pâté, foie gras (when I can find it), sweetbreads, 'cracklin & boudin'
(it's a Louisiana thing).
proxy.php

BTW, every now and then...I'll cook 'chitlins' (must be cleaned three [3] times...South Carolina style w/ garlic, onions & potatoes (to help thicken-up the gravy), over rice. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Is life worth living? It depends on the [offal]". William James

PS I remember 'back-in-the-day', KFC had some 'killer’ gizzards & livers (can’t find gizzards & livers ‘done right’ anywhere around here).
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom